News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Jurassic World Film!!!! 😀

Started by Giganotosaurus, January 22, 2024, 08:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

Quote from: Eatmycar on February 18, 2024, 08:04:45 PMThey also had the Sayles script with raptor-human people they believed in for a hot minute, so I'm not trusting their 'protected' script to be good, honestly.

Ahahaha, that's a fair point, although if I'm being 100% honest with myself, I don't hate the idea of Dinosaur/human hybrids, especially if it was something in the vein of Island of Dr. Moreau. Might not be the best direction to take the franchise but I'd be lying if I said it didn't at least pique my interest, at least as a side story.

HD-man

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 18, 2024, 06:55:59 PMThe only movies I would say I don't think are good are JP3 and JW1. TLW at least tried to do something interesting, even if I would agree that it ultimately failed.

Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems like a contradiction (I.e. You don't think TLW is bad, yet admit that it "ultimately failed" at trying "to do something interesting").

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 18, 2024, 06:55:59 PMJW1 makes me want to pull my hair out, so perhaps I'm too soft on JWFK because it specifically walks back the stuff I hated so much about JW1 (Claire's bizarre characterization in the first JW I found to be bordering on misogyny). And JWD is fine, it's not trying to be something super deep, but it also doesn't completely bungle it's very basic narrative like JP3 does.

Keep in mind that liking or disliking something =/= it's objectively good or bad (personal preference vs. quality). I alluded to this in my previous post ("Not that the sequel movies can't be enjoyed[...]"), but figured I should clarify, given the above quote. The best non-JP/JW example I can think of is The Godfather, which I dislike based on personal preference, yet admit that it's objectively good. In this case, I'm just pointing out that, objectively, JP's sequel movies have major problems that keep them from being good like JP itself:
-In reference to JWFK, I linked to Rick Raptor's review in my previous post, but if you prefer, Marc Vincent's is also really good: https://chasmosaurs.com/2018/06/07/jurassic-world-fallen-kingdom-marcs-review/
-In reference to TLW, Mike Jones's review is especially good at summing up the story & character problems: https://screenrant.com/jurassic-park-lost-world-bad-problems-reason-explained/

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 18, 2024, 06:55:59 PMAnd if we're talking morals... I actually do kind of take issue with those from the first movie. It removed the anti-capitalist elements from the book and as a result ends up feeling like an anti-science or even anti-zoo narrative, because John Hammond being an awful person was the linchpin that tied the themes and plot together. By making him dino-santa they make the parks failure look like an inevitability, instead of a dangerous result of cost-cutting and greedy management.

Please don't take offense to this, as it's not meant to be offensive, but it seems like you're misremembering JP. I'm especially surprised by the "anti-science or even anti-zoo" claim, given how explicitly it's disproven by 1 of the best dialogue scenes (specifically, the condor argument).
The Hammond claims are also explicitly disproven by JP's dialogue scenes. Put another way (I added movie quotes in brackets for context): "Book Hammond is a strawman, he is just a greedy businessman who wants to become extraordinarily rich off Jurassic Park, literally everything else he claims is a front to hide his true intentions. He doesn't even care about his grandkids and is just using them as test audiences for the park. Movie Hammond is an actual character, he legitimately wanted to bring a sense of awe and wonder into the world by creating Jurassic Park. He was arrogant[..."Next time, it'll be flawless. When we have control again"...]and took far too many shortcuts while creating the park[..."Hiring Nedry was a mistake. That's obvious. We're overdependent on automation"...], but his intentions are real[...]With this change alone the story goes from a cliché story about greed to a story of how legitimately good intentions can lead to tragedy" ( https://www.reddit.com/r/JurassicPark/comments/abee5n/actual_unpopular_opinion_the_movie_is_better_than/ ).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Takama

Quote from: Carnoking on February 18, 2024, 08:21:19 PM
Quote from: Eatmycar on February 18, 2024, 08:04:45 PMThey also had the Sayles script with raptor-human people they believed in for a hot minute, so I'm not trusting their 'protected' script to be good, honestly.

Ahahaha, that's a fair point, although if I'm being 100% honest with myself, I don't hate the idea of Dinosaur/human hybrids, especially if it was something in the vein of Island of Dr. Moreau. Might not be the best direction to take the franchise but I'd be lying if I said it didn't at least pique my interest, at least as a side story.

IMO Dinosaur Human hybrids sounds like it could be a nice schelock fest.

Just keep it out of the Jurassic Franchise

Takama

Well Gareth Edwards (of Godzilla, Rouge One, and the Anti Ai film "THE CREATOR,") is said to be the new director now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2024/02/jurassic-world-gareth-edwards-1235831353/amp/

First off. If he sticks around,  I hope he can make the best of what he might be forced to work with..

Dynomikegojira

Excellent choice he can definitely make it smaller scale and bring it back to it's roots.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The thing is it won't keep him busy too long so he can get back to Godzilla and almost all the work is  done creatively already.   Now will that be a problem?

Brocc21

Gareth Edwards?!? IT MIGHT EVEN BE GOOD?!?

Seriously though this is great news.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 21, 2024, 02:15:20 AMThe thing is it won't keep him busy too long so he can get back to Godzilla and almost all the work is  done creatively already.  Now will that be a problem?

Idk for sure.  I do know much of what he Shot for Rouge one was Cut and never included as deleted scenes. Plus when Directing the Creator, a lot of elements from MULTIPLE scifi films were used to make it.  And it was more on Disney....the owner of those two propertys.

Carnoking

Really hope he sticks! He was one of the first names that came to mind for me.

Plus now we can get Bryan Cranston for the first half of the movie!

Brocc21

"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Giganotosaurus

Edwards is a great choice, I'm hyped!
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

Mellow Stego

This is great news! Edwards might give it that darker tone everyone has been wanting.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on February 21, 2024, 02:29:03 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 21, 2024, 02:15:20 AMThe thing is it won't keep him busy too long so he can get back to Godzilla and almost all the work is  done creatively already.  Now will that be a problem?

Idk for sure.  I do know much of what he Shot for Rouge one was Cut and never included as deleted scenes. Plus when Directing the Creator, a lot of elements from MULTIPLE scifi films were used to make it.  And it was more on Disney....the owner of those two propertys.

Seeing as how Universal has stated that the script is done and the post production is wrapping up ( storyboards, animatronics, fx work ) all he really needs to do is find a cast ( and it might be a small one) and actually direct the film I don't know how much input he will get.

Eatmycar

Let's not get too excited. The script is locked in. His hands are likely tied on a lot of things in this production.

Takama

Ok

Everyone is was all hyped on the Director and one thing came to mind

If the Scipt is all set in stone

Who was the writer?  (Please God let their be a wtiter)   

I honrstly want to know. For.....reasons

HD-man

Was watching this video & thought this 1 line (in ref to "2014's Godzilla") was funny: "The film has arguably been a bit of a divisive one[...]but I like to think of it like this[...]2015's Jurassic world or 2014's Godzilla":

Takama

Quote from: HD-man on February 21, 2024, 08:45:38 AMWas watching this video & thought this 1 line (in ref to "2014's Godzilla") was funny: "The film has arguably been a bit of a divisive one[...]but I like to think of it like this[...]2015's Jurassic world or 2014's Godzilla":

Quote from: HD-man on February 21, 2024, 08:45:38 AMWas watching this video & thought this 1 line (in ref to "2014's Godzilla") was funny: "The film has arguably been a bit of a divisive one[...]but I like to think of it like this[...]2015's Jurassic world or 2014's Godzilla":

If sre that serius

I say Godzilla

Primeval12

Quote from: Takama on February 21, 2024, 08:09:23 AMOk

David Koepp. He wrote the first two Jurassic films!

Takama

Quote from: Primeval12 on February 21, 2024, 12:58:15 PM
Quote from: Takama on February 21, 2024, 08:09:23 AMOk

David Koepp. He wrote the first two Jurassic films!

I stand correctted (and reminded) 😅

HD-man

Quote from: Takama on February 21, 2024, 12:57:15 PMIf sre that serius

I say Godzilla

avatar_Takama @Takama Looks like you accidentally double-quoted me :P Just making sure you notice.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: