News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: oscars_dinos on April 26, 2024, 05:16:56 PMI mentioned this a while back but I hate the whole, this company cant make this figure cuz this other company made it.
To some people it's a disappointment to see a release be something that they already have a good figure of.  Wuerhosaurus doesn't strike me as a popular animal, so I didn't think someone would want PNSO to make it.  I don't think I'm in the minority, both here and on Facebook this new PNSO Wuerhosaurus hasn't received much happy responses despite being a very good figure.

Quote from: oscars_dinos on April 26, 2024, 05:16:56 PMIts like saying that no paleo artist can draw the same dinosaur because one claimed it before the other.
Not quite.  The drawings of palaeoartists are not something normally purchased and added to a physical collection.  They don't feel like a waste because they are simply admired, with figures there's still so many prehistoric species that lacks satisfying figures that something quite redundant like this Wuerhosaurus feels like a waste for those that are satisfied with a previous figure of it.

Quote from: oscars_dinos on April 26, 2024, 05:16:56 PMEvery company has their own style that one might like more than the other and well yeah, I like this a lot more than the HLG one, so I don't feel like this is a waist at all.
That's fair enough.  I hadn't considered that there would be people that prefer the PNSO to Haolonggood's.  However, the general lack of enthusiasm for the PNSO still exists.

Quote from: oscars_dinos on April 26, 2024, 05:16:56 PMjust hate to see the hate towards a nice figure, especially considering pnso is doing really good to right the wrongs of last year, so far this year has brought us relatively colorful herbivore which was all we where asking for last year.
That's not what I was asking for last year...  I was hoping for a plesiosauroid and dromaeosaurids...  I do appreciate that PNSO has been doing a good job with releases generally this year, even though the Edmontosaurus and Wuerhosaurus do almost nothing for me.

Pliosaurking

What a beautiful stegosaur figure, I definitely perfer this to Haolonggoods version.

Faelrin

I have the mini version. Wonder if that could work as a baby and this as an adult? I also like Haolonggood's version. Tough to decide, but this is the first time I've seen a stegosaur figure with colors like these on the plates. I dig that.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Eatmycar

Yawn.

At least the plates aren't just red and the skin isn't just green, but... meh.

Their color choices are baffling to me. You have really pretty things like Olorotitan, Meraxes, and Tsintaosaurus on one hand, and this on the other. Idk. It's just very strange to me how they color.

That said, the prototype looks well done. Execution is solid. But it's boring.

Gwangi

Yeah, I can't get excited about brown with brown stripes from PNSO. Haolonggood's might be flat but it's at least different (I have the purple one). The plates look cool though.

Concavenator

Quote from: Concavenator on March 23, 2024, 05:03:27 PMAs with the Yutyrannus, Lingwulong, Microraptor, etc, this is the sort of local taxa worth making figures of, not Zhuchengtyrannus or "Sinopliosaurus".

And this is the sort of local taxa not worth making figures of.  :P

And no, I don't mean it because I'm personally not interested in the species. I'm not interested in getting a Lufengosaurus, either, but I still acknowledge it as a great choice for a figure because of the quality of its remains, the very obvious need for a good and modern "prosauropod" figure, and also the historic/paleontological relevance of the animal in China.

But Wuerhosaurus doesn't have good remains, and it's a stegosaur. It's not unheard of to get a good stegosaur figure. There are better choices for stegosaurians to make into figures. Add to that Haolonggood's and Vitae's versions. Yeah, I also personally see this release a kind of a waste, but I'm happy for the people who like it.

crazy8wizard

I really don't think figure companies or most collectors are concerned with the quality of remains when making or buying a figure.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: crazy8wizard on April 26, 2024, 10:05:26 PMI really don't think figure companies or most collectors are concerned with the quality of remains when making or buying a figure.

eh its varies

DefinitelyNOTDilo

If they continue with this streak of Chinese species, I really hope they make a Shunosaurus!

Joel1905

Brown is an extremely common colour in the animal kingdom... there are millions of reptiles, birds, mammals etc that follow this so called 'boring' colour scheme.

I don't get the constant moaning? Is it a sensory thing amongst some collectors? I'd rather see a figure with a well executed, natural looking 'dull' colour scheme than something that looks like it fell out of a drag show (nothing against drag queens btw, they're just very colourful and vibrant so it was an apt comparison.)

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Honestly the more I look at this guy the more it grows on me. Something about him just exudes character in a way I really like, maybe it's the... rotund proportions lol.

stargatedalek

I will take a nice warm brown and orange colour scheme like this that has some pleasant patterning to it over... mottled grey, or vaguely countershaded green, or solid brown...

I would say this one of PNSO's more dynamic colour schemes. It certainly beats most of their theropods.

KrazyKaprosuchus

Hmmm, I like the figure, but with the Vitae and Haolongood sitting on my shelf I think i'm good on more of this animal, especially since it's another one with likely erroneous plates. I'm perfectly fine with that though, more money saved for me.

Gwangi

Quote from: Joel1905 on April 26, 2024, 11:15:04 PMBrown is an extremely common colour in the animal kingdom... there are millions of reptiles, birds, mammals etc that follow this so called 'boring' colour scheme.

I don't get the constant moaning? Is it a sensory thing amongst some collectors? I'd rather see a figure with a well executed, natural looking 'dull' colour scheme than something that looks like it fell out of a drag show (nothing against drag queens btw, they're just very colourful and vibrant so it was an apt comparison.)

Brown may be common in the animal kingdom but these are toys, to be either displayed on a shelf or played with, there's nothing wrong with wanting visual variety in a collection of static figures. Brown isn't really the issue anyway, it's the brown with brown stripes bleeding down the sides motif that is getting old. Animals in nature do a lot more with brown than brown with brown stripes. I don't think it looks very natural to have a Wuerhosaurus looking just like your Yangchuanosaurus. As is I have to display my Miragaia and Machairoceratops far apart. Not because they're both "brown" but because the patterns are identical. And as someone that keeps an assortment of living animals I can safely say that I don't want all of them to be the same color either. 

Quiversaurus

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on April 26, 2024, 11:19:00 PMHonestly the more I look at this guy the more it grows on me. Something about him just exudes character in a way I really like, maybe it's the... rotund proportions lol.

Same for me. At first I wasn't particularly impressed like I was with their Meraxes or perhaps their Suchomimus, but I keep going back to look at the images of this guy, and I'm really enjoying the proportions. Something about him just looks right. He also comes across as really adorable - maybe the shorter legs (compared to say PNSO's Dinosaur Museum Stegosaurus) combined with his rotund hips and waist are what's giving him this charm.

Also, from the wiki  ;D :
"Wuerhosaurus homheni was probably a broad-bodied animal, reaching 7 metres (23 ft) in length and 4 metric tons (4.4 short tons) in body mass."

Regardless of whether this feels like a "waste" of a figure to anyone, or if it has boring colours and patterns (definitely not to me), this is a win of a figure in my book.

Joel1905

Quote from: Gwangi on April 27, 2024, 01:04:58 AM
Quote from: Joel1905 on April 26, 2024, 11:15:04 PMBrown is an extremely common colour in the animal kingdom... there are millions of reptiles, birds, mammals etc that follow this so called 'boring' colour scheme.

Brown may be common in the animal kingdom but these are toys, to be either displayed on a shelf or played with, there's nothing wrong with wanting visual variety in a collection of static figures. Brown isn't really the issue anyway, it's the brown with brown stripes bleeding down the sides motif that is getting old. Animals in nature do a lot more with brown than brown with brown stripes. I don't think it looks very natural to have a Wuerhosaurus looking just like your Yangchuanosaurus. As is I have to display my Miragaia and Machairoceratops far apart. Not because they're both "brown" but because the patterns are identical. And as someone that keeps an assortment of living animals I can safely say that I don't want all of them to be the same color either. 

'Toys'

I'd rather see them as scientific art. Reconstructions of extinct animals as they may have appeared in life. Personally, the idea of a small child 'playing' with PNSO's wonderful figures and damaging them is painful. Display, admiration, education and diorama photography are what these models should be for in my opinion.

Seems as though we have different expectations though. I want high class reconstructions of the animals as they likely looked, whilst you look for play value and colour, nothing wrong with that, but PNSO go for the former, not the latter.

Concavenator

For PNSO it looks as if brown is the official color for dinosaurs. And not just brown, as avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi mentioned, it's pretty much the same pattern over and over again. Yeah, there are some different accents here and there, like a bit of blue in the Megalosaurus' face, or this Wuerhosaurus' plates, but they're all mostly brown. For instance, I recently saw a photo of PNSO's Styracosaurus alongside their Daspletosaurus and they really look like they're wearing the same uniform.

Brown is not the only color for a "high class, scientific art" reconstruction, and proof of that is that PNSO themselves rarely, but still occasionally release a figure that's not brown (Suchomimus, Meraxes, Deinocheirus, Lufengosaurus, etc come to mind) and they still look perfectly natural while adding a good amount of visual interest and contrast with other figures. Some BotM figures do have what could be called "naturalistic" color schemes too, but still looking striking and fairly different to each other (for people who display their figures by company).

Or Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus, as avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi recently explained. Organisms in real life are not living against a white background, and what a priori could be called a flamboyant color scheme by some could very well make a lot of sense once you take a species' surrounding environment into consideration. Also worth pointing out that habitats not only are not white backgrounds, they don't have a fixed color either, by themselves they also undergo a dynamic change, and their characteristics change over a period of time (seasons, or even a day, like day and night, different moments within a day...).

I also just agree with avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi 's point about them being figures. Yes, they are high-quality figures, but they're still figures. I totally understand (and share) that one gets bored by their constant use of brown. You can argue for each particular figure that brown is a reasonable color (and by itself, it certainly is), but then you get one of their figures after another, display them all together, and the end result is literally a shelf full of brown (and if you pay attention, you may spot some accents of different colors within the big, brown, mass...).

thomasw100

Quote from: Concavenator on April 27, 2024, 12:25:56 PMFor PNSO it looks as if brown is the official color for dinosaurs. And not just brown, as avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi mentioned, it's pretty much the same pattern over and over again. Yeah, there are some different accents here and there, like a bit of blue in the Megalosaurus' face, or this Wuerhosaurus' plates, but they're all mostly brown. For instance, I recently saw a photo of PNSO's Styracosaurus alongside their Daspletosaurus and they really look like they're wearing the same uniform.

Brown is not the only color for a "high class, scientific art" reconstruction, and proof of that is that PNSO themselves rarely, but still occasionally release a figure that's not brown (Suchomimus, Meraxes, Deinocheirus, Lufengosaurus, etc come to mind) and they still look perfectly natural while adding a good amount of visual interest and contrast with other figures. Some BotM figured do have what could be called "naturalistic" color schemes too, but still looking striking and fairly different to each other (for people who display their figures by company).

Or Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus, as avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi recently explained. Organisms in real life are not living against a white background, and what a priori could be called a flamboyant color scheme by some could very well make a lot of sense once you take a species' surrounding environment into consideration. Also worth pointing out that habitats not only are not white backgrounds, they don't have a fixed color either, by themselves they also undergo a dynamic change, and their characteristics change over a period of time (seasons, or even a day, like day and night, different moments within a day...).

I also just agree with avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi 's point about them being figures. Yes, they are high-quality figures, but they're still figures. I totally understand (and share) that one gets bored by their constant use of brown. You can argue for each particular figure that brown is a reasonable color (and by itself, it certainly is), but then you get one of their figures after another, display them all together, and the end result is literally a shelf full of brown (and if you pay attention, you may spot some accents of different colors within the big, brown, mass...).

I would agree that PNSO should give their models a bit more variation in the base color. The recent Lufengosaurus is a good start in that direction. On the other hand, irrespective of the base color, the paint designs of PNSO results for my taste in a beautiful overall presentation with harmony of different tones and hues that no other company is able to match. Compared to the PNSO Wuerhosaurus (if it will be about as good as the release images suggest), the Haolonggood Wuerhosaurus for my taste looks like a plastic toy, not a paleoart model.

Gwangi

Quote from: Joel1905 on April 27, 2024, 11:57:39 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on April 27, 2024, 01:04:58 AM

'Toys'

I'd rather see them as scientific art. Reconstructions of extinct animals as they may have appeared in life. Personally, the idea of a small child 'playing' with PNSO's wonderful figures and damaging them is painful. Display, admiration, education and diorama photography are what these models should be for in my opinion.

Seems as though we have different expectations though. I want high class reconstructions of the animals as they likely looked, whilst you look for play value and colour, nothing wrong with that, but PNSO go for the former, not the latter.

They can be both those things, toys and scientific art. I don't play with them but lets not pretend that PNSO doesn't market their products specifically at children. "Models that accompany your growth", "Dream and vision for children"...yeah, they're toys. Mass produced toys at that. I wouldn't give a PNSO dinosaur to a toddler but I would get them for an older kids with a real interest in dinosaurs. It's not like each model is one-of-a-kind priceless art.

And again, I don't think it comes off as natural for all these vastly different animals to be the same shades of brown with the same brown stripes. There's more variety in nature, even if we were to just limit the colors to brown.

ceratopsian

The PNSO brand is definitely marketed as toys, albeit educational toys, so also strongly marketed at aspirational parents. One has only to look at the stories in their booklets, or the museum labels included for children to fill in. Or even their "how to draw x" videos. This is not of course to suggest that they are unaware that they also have a following of adult collectors.

The part of their brand that is not marketed as a toy are their bronzes. (Which are no longer available in their AliExpress shop to deliver to my country.)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: