News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 27, 2024, 01:38:46 PMThe PNSO brand is definitely marketed as toys, albeit educational toys, so also strongly marketed at aspirational parents. One has only to look at the stories in their booklets, or the museum labels included for children to fill in. Or even their "how to draw x" videos. This is not of course to suggest that they are unaware that they also have a following of adult collectors.

The part of their brand that is not marketed as a toy are their bronzes. (Which are no longer available in their AliExpress shop to deliver to my country.)

A lot of people around here might know that GI Joes were marketed as "action figures" specifically so that nobody would have to call them "dolls," even though they were and are clearly dolls. I think sometimes a similar impulse leads adult collectors to use "model" so they don't have to admit to collecting toys!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bmathison1972

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 02, 2024, 12:03:39 AM
Quote from: ceratopsian on April 27, 2024, 01:38:46 PMThe PNSO brand is definitely marketed as toys, albeit educational toys, so also strongly marketed at aspirational parents. One has only to look at the stories in their booklets, or the museum labels included for children to fill in. Or even their "how to draw x" videos. This is not of course to suggest that they are unaware that they also have a following of adult collectors.

The part of their brand that is not marketed as a toy are their bronzes. (Which are no longer available in their AliExpress shop to deliver to my country.)

A lot of people around here might know that GI Joes were marketed as "action figures" specifically so that nobody would have to call them "dolls," even though they were and are clearly dolls. I think sometimes a similar impulse leads adult collectors to use "model" so they don't have to admit to collecting toys!

To me, the term is what one is using it for. If it's sitting on a shelf, it's a figure/figurine/model. If a kid has it in his or her toy bin, play room, or sand box, it's a toy  :P

Concavenator

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 02, 2024, 12:17:04 AMTo me, the term is what one is using it for. If it's sitting on a shelf, it's a figure/figurine/model. If a kid has it in his or her toy bin, play room, or sand box, it's a toy  :P

I agree with this view, though it can't be taken quite literally. Like, if a kid has something like a Sideshow model in their toy bin, etc, would that make it a toy? I would be VERY hard-pressed to call it like that.  ;D

Flaffy

According to people more knowledgeable than me, they're saying that PNSO's Wuerhosaurus is more true to the holotype material's proportions, while HLG's one is reconstructed as a generic stegosaurine. i.e. meaning PNSO's version is potentially more accurate?

Carnoking

Yiran arrived on Tuesday, and he's a delight! More of these vibrantly colored weirdos from PNSO, please!

How it started vs How it's going.

Joel1905

Quote from: Carnoking on May 03, 2024, 02:02:47 PM

Yiran arrived on Tuesday, and he's a delight! More of these vibrantly colored weirdos from PNSO, please!

How it started vs How it's going.

These two make me DESPERATE for PNSO to make more sauropodomorphs!

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Shunosaurus would be incredible, or Omeisaurus, assuming they continue their streak of Chinese dinosaurs which would be amazing imo

Blade-of-the-Moon

Congrats! It's a really nice piece. I do sort of wish there was more detail on the head but I can certainly understand why there's not.

Joel1905

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on May 03, 2024, 04:56:12 PMShunosaurus would be incredible, or Omeisaurus, assuming they continue their streak of Chinese dinosaurs which would be amazing imo

Shunosaurus has been on my wishlist for a loooong time.

Plateosaurus, Cetiosaurus, Diplodocus, Camarasaurus & Brachiosaurus would be my other choices.

Prehistory Resurrection

Flaffy

Ah, was hoping for a quick discussion on the accuracy between Haolonggood vs PNSO Wuerhosaurus. The tubby proportions are really cute, but I'm not sure this particular figure is a must have to me. At least not in the same vein as the Lufengosaurus.

Gwangi

Reminds me of Mojo's squat Stegosaurus.

bmathison1972

For those in the US the Lufengosaurus is now available at HHT

https://www.happyhentoys.com/pnso-81-lufengosaurus-yiran.html

Flaffy

Sad to say I have to agree with Greg that the blue paint on the plates is quite amateurish and crude, especially for that $40 price tag :o

Carnoking

The one thing I'll easily give to HLG's take over PNSO's is their treatment on the plates.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on May 09, 2024, 04:13:47 AM

Sad to say I have to agree with Greg that the blue paint on the plates is quite amateurish and crude, especially for that $40 price tag :o
I'd agree with him that this is the best rendition of the genus so far. If money is not really a major concern, it's a candidate for a minor repaint, at the least.

Sim

The blue on the plates is one of the few things I find nice about the figure.  The negative reactions to it might just make PNSO stick to their more often-used colours...

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on May 09, 2024, 02:45:08 PMThe blue on the plates is one of the few things I find nice about the figure.  The negative reactions to it might just make PNSO stick to their more often-used colours...

Less so about colour choice, more so about sloppy application. I expecta $40 figure to have minimal to no paint bleeding.

SidB

Quote from: Sim on May 09, 2024, 02:45:08 PMThe blue on the plates is one of the few things I find nice about the figure.  The negative reactions to it might just make PNSO stick to their more often-used colours...
I'm sort of fond of the blue too, but a minor touchup/ blending would improve the presentation.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Flaffy on May 09, 2024, 02:54:34 PM

Less so about colour choice, more so about sloppy application. I expecta $40 figure to have minimal to no paint bleeding.

It seems to be an issue with his in particular, I'm pretty sure Dinosdragon's copy is blended much better, plus he tends to have some weird lighting in his vids.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: