News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: Carnoking on May 16, 2024, 02:58:51 PMFour variants to choose from now? My goodness.

Or could it be another paintjob vote like the Alamosaurus?

thomasw100

Both color variants of the Gastonia look really good, not sure which one I will get. I will probably wait for some in hand pictures and also some reviews. From this I get a much better idea how the colors look in real daylight.

The paint schemes of the Stegosaurus look kind of weird to me. All appear somewhat bleached out and blurry. The green with the orange to brown plates it still the best, but nevertheless it looks very pale and blurry. The others have quite unnatural colors. They remind me of some of the colors of the earlier Haolonggood models which have been described by someone as radioactive colors.

Overall this is very much different from the first prototype picture that appeared which had much stronger and more natural colors. Compare this to the clear presentation of their Dacentrurus. If these are the final versions, this would be a clear case for a complete repaint.

I am perplexed by how the paint application of the Haolonggood models seems to be flipping back and forth between very nicely and naturally looking ones (like for example Kosmoceratops, Euoplocephalus, Mamenchisaurus, Dacentrurus etc.) that shine next to PNSO models and then once in a while something that looks so different and rather unnatural. Maybe different designers?

Carnoking

Quote from: Flaffy on May 16, 2024, 03:21:35 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on May 16, 2024, 02:58:51 PMFour variants to choose from now? My goodness.

Or could it be another paintjob vote like the Alamosaurus?

That would make sense too! If that's the case, nice they're showing actual painted models for it rather than just illustrations

Sim

T @thomasw100, I don't think the Haolonggood Stegosaurus colour schemes we've seen are unnatural.  I think they are amazing!  Like you said to another member who was complaining about dull colourations on dinosaur figures, it's just a matter of personal preference.  You prefer not very colourful dinosaurs, I don't necessarilly.  You said you had your Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus repainted, while I think the two colour schemes of the Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus are the best ever colourations on dinosaur figures (and I have both figures)!

Flaffy

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 16, 2024, 03:27:08 PMThe paint schemes of the Stegosaurus look kind of weird to me. All appear somewhat bleached out and blurry. The green with the orange to brown plates it still the best, but nevertheless it looks very pale and blurry. The others have quite unnatural colors. They remind me of some of the colors of the earlier Haolonggood models which have been described by someone as radioactive colors.

The blurriness could just be because of factory lighting conditions + image compression (see how the numbers are heavily pixelated too).
To be fair colour scheme 003 is quite natural and definitely true to the yellow prototype shown previously. A downgrade was to be expected from the paintmaster afterall.

The other three colours are definitely up to personal taste. All very flashy, not my cup of tea personally but hey I'm satisfied with the more conservative colours of 003. What I DO feel strongly about however are the appearance of the squiggly lines on the plates... They do not look good at all.

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on May 16, 2024, 03:35:39 PMT @thomasw100, I don't think the Haolonggood Stegosaurus colour schemes we've seen are unnatural.  I think they are amazing!  Like you said to another member who was complaining about dull colourations on dinosaur figures, it's just a matter of personal preference.  You prefer not very colourful dinosaurs, I don't necessarilly.  You said you had your Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus repainted, while I think the two colour schemes of the Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus are the best ever colourations on dinosaur figures (and I have both figures)!

Hi there, this is not about colorful vs. less colorful. There are very vibrantly colorful animals among extant species like the emerald lizard etc. But they have different color tones. It is precisely some of the color tones that feel unnatural to me. Particularly the greens and blues remind me of the color tones seen in some secondary uranium minerals in nature, this is why that remark of another member about radioactive colors struck a chord with me. This probably boils down to the color palette of the factory that Haolonggood is using.

Turkeysaurus

Stegosaurus "3" or "4" variant does it for me.

If prices will be reasonable compared to PNSO (including shipping) , I'm gonna buy Haolonggood for sure.

Turkeysaurus

Why "4" looks different at bottom picture which they all together. Plates don't have half yellow coloring. (imo it's better without yellow)

Flaffy

Quote from: Quiversaurus on May 16, 2024, 07:10:09 AMAs for the Maiasaura discussion, can anyone post a link to the updated paper describing the hornlets/ridge please? I've never come across it and would like to read further. Thanks in advance!

Less so being "updated", moreso artists mistakenly taking lateral views of the skull or skeletal recnstructions at face value and assuming the small protrusion above the eyes being a diagnostic feature rather than an artefact of a lateral angle. A common but understandable error as not everyone has free access to scientific papers or fossil specimens.
Link: https://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app66/app006982019.html

What is new however is the way we restore such structures. Traditionally as seen in the Battat and Carnegie figures, the ridge would be reconstructed as a lateral bar with little to no associated soft tissue structure. Newer reconstructions like those done by Olorotitan suggest that these ridges would've contributed to supporting large nasal structures instead of a simple decorative crest.
Link: https://earthsky.org/earth/juvenile-hadrosaur-fossil-reveals-fleshy-snout/

Prosaurolophus by Julius Csotonyi.

ceratopsian

Tastes on colour schemes are very personal. My choices would be 1 first, then 2.

SenSx

Love the colors here, even the not do natural ones.

I did not plan to replace my rebor stegosaurus though.
I suppose the rebor is still a bit oversized for 1/35 ?

Concavenator

I like both the Gastonia and the Stegosaurus, but Gastonia is not a taxon I'm interested in and I'm happy with Safari's "Sophie", even if it's a different species. Still my favorite Stegosaurus figure to date.

Looking forward to seeing more pics of the Maiasaura, even if it's not perfect on the accuracy department. Ditto for the Amargasaurus. They would look even better if fixed.

Sim

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 16, 2024, 03:55:06 PMHi there, this is not about colorful vs. less colorful. There are very vibrantly colorful animals among extant species like the emerald lizard etc. But they have different color tones. It is precisely some of the color tones that feel unnatural to me. Particularly the greens and blues remind me of the color tones seen in some secondary uranium minerals in nature, this is why that remark of another member about radioactive colors struck a chord with me. This probably boils down to the color palette of the factory that Haolonggood is using.
There are extant animals with these kinds of colours though.  Take a look at this lizard for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calotes_mystaceus

Flaffy

The roster is filling up fast!

thomasw100

Quote from: Flaffy on May 16, 2024, 06:22:01 PMThe roster is filling up fast!

Indeed the releases are now coming at an amazing frequency. The last 6 months have been a feast for herbivore lovers like myself, with so many interesting models coming from both Haolonggood and PNSO as well. I wonder if the second half of this year will then see the return of the theropods. Hopefully if that happens this will include some feathered ones.

Turkeysaurus

Waiting for Argentinosaurus and Giraffititan/brachiosaurus

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on May 16, 2024, 06:48:49 PMWaiting for Argentinosaurus and Giraffititan/brachiosaurus and styracosaurus

oscars_dinos

That Gastonia was a figure I wasn't looking forward to but now seeing it I think I might want it, funny because the opposite happened with the euoplocephalus. I feel a little less afraid to say negative things about haolonggood now that I own one (the mamenchi)(I love it). that being said... I'm not a fan of the stego or the colors... seems harsh I just really love my pnso stego, this HLG figure I think suffers from a issue that a lot of older HLG figures had and that is stiffness. The scale detail however is great and I'm glad to see them keep improving. All in all I opened the possibilities of getting HLG figures for my collection with the mamenchi so now I will start more strongly considering getting more from them. (I still want more pictures of the sino they did)

Sim

I am loving the Haolonggood Gastonia and Stegosaurus!  Haolonggood has made me very happy with what has been shown today!  I'm confident I too will replace my Schleich Gastonia with one of Haolonggood's.  The Stegosaurus parade was unexpected and I was amazed by the colour schemes I saw and they just kept coming!  It was a very enjoyable experience and one of the best I've had with regards to prehistoric animal figures.  The first Stegosaurus reminds me of how some lizards are patterned, but it's the only one that doesn't appeal to me.  The other three Stegosaurus do appeal to me on the other hand!  I think my favourite is the second Stegosaurus.  I never thought I would get more than two colour variants of the same figure, but if all these Stegosaurus are produced I might have to get all three!

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 16, 2024, 06:34:44 PMI wonder if the second half of this year will then see the return of the theropods. Hopefully if that happens this will include some feathered ones.
I hope for feathered theropods too!

Stegotyranno420

3 and 4 are best. 3 is better

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: