News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Elengassen’s custom paints

Started by Elengassen, May 30, 2024, 01:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elengassen

Before I get around to taking pictures of my whole collection, I thought I'd start off by posting some shots of the figures I've custom-painted. I haven't been painting for long, but I like to think these didn't turn out too bad  ::)
Most of these are 3D prints, which are a great solution for small species that usually don't get made by toy companies (or at least not in the typical 1:25-1:35 scale range that larger species get made in). Their small size also makes them hard to photograph with my phone camera, so apologies for the poor image quality.

Part 1:

Generic dromaeosaurs (3D print by David Krentz on Shapeways)

These are advertised as 1:40 scale but the ones I received are more like 1:20ish for your typical 6ft/2m long dromaeosaur genera. I'm currently using the green ones as Adasaurus.
Male:

Female:

Meanwhile, the purple ones I'm using as Dromaeosaurus. I painted these identically, without sexual dimorphism:

'Raptor Dance' Velociraptor pair (3D print by Wild Past)

Now these are actually 1:35 – they're tiny!

Stegoceras (3D print by RareBreed on Shapeways)

Probably my favourite of the custom paints I've done. About 1:20-1:25. Feels good to have a figure of a pachycephalosaur other than Pachycephalosaurus in my collection.

Stegouros (3D print by Wild Past)

Another tiny 1:35 figure and quite hard to paint, but I like how it turned out.

Dinosaur nest (3D print by mb-cg on Shapeways)

I'm displaying this with my Adasaurus pair. Are they babysitting their own nest or raiding someone else's? You decide!

That's all for now – more to come in part 2 at some point.

One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Looking amazing! I've had my eyes on those raptors but I was concerned about shapeways' quality, was it worth it in your opinion? And side note, which plastic option did you choose?

Elengassen

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on May 30, 2024, 03:30:48 AMLooking amazing! I've had my eyes on those raptors but I was concerned about shapeways' quality, was it worth it in your opinion? And side note, which plastic option did you choose?

Thanks!

I'd say it was definitely worth it. I went with White Versatile Natural Plastic, which already shows the detail pretty well. The other option, Fine Detail Plastic, is exorbitantly expensive, far more than could be justified by any increase in detail.
FYI, I got several of my Shapeways figures during a free shipping promo, so if you're not in a hurry to order it might be worth waiting for the next one of those.

DinoToyForum

Elengassen

ceratopsian

I think you've done really with such small pieces. I particularly like your work on the Stegouros

Elengassen

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 30, 2024, 01:32:46 PMI think you've done really with such small pieces. I particularly like your work on the Stegouros

Thank you  ^-^

Halichoeres

Nice work! It is strange how rarely any pachycephalosaur other than Pachycephalosaurus is made into a figure. I actually have a plastic Stegoceras, but yours is of course much prettier!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

They look good! Is this the first time we see figures of dinosaurs mating?

Elengassen

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 30, 2024, 07:40:28 PMNice work! It is strange how rarely any pachycephalosaur other than Pachycephalosaurus is made into a figure. I actually have a plastic Stegoceras, but yours is of course much prettier!

Thank you! Yes there should definitely be more pachycephalosaurid figures, although I understand why there aren't as they don't look as distinct as, say, ceratopsians do.

Quote from: Libraraptor on May 30, 2024, 08:07:58 PMThey look good! Is this the first time we see figures of dinosaurs mating?

Thanks! As far as I know yes. Untapped market there perhaps? Get on it Collecta  ;D

Concavenator

Those look pretty nice! Also looking forward to seeing your collection.  :)

Elengassen

Quote from: Concavenator on May 31, 2024, 03:24:43 PMThose look pretty nice! Also looking forward to seeing your collection.  :)

Thank you!  ^-^

Pliosaurking

Elengassen

Elengassen

Part 2:

Stenonychosaurus (3D print by Wild Past)

This is the 1:35 version – it's about 10cm/4in long, so definitely a Latenivenatrix-sized specimen at that scale.

Nyctosaurus (3D print by Haolonggood)

This is the little 3D-printed pterosaur that came with the base Haolonggood released to accompany their Alamosaurus (I bought the base on its own). Annoyingly, the tip of the beak broke off. I managed to glue it back on but then it broke off again and I couldn't find it.

Archaeopteryx (Iwako)

This is from a set of 'dinosaur erasers' by a Japanese company called Iwako. I'm not sure whether they actually work as erasers; they're made of a bendy rubber material similar to Safari Good Luck Minis. This one was originally a monochrome dark green.

This was the only interesting figure in the set; the others are mostly miniature Schleich knockoffs. This one looks like it was 'inspired' by the Papo Archaeopteryx.

It's tiny, just under 3cm long, which makes it about 1:18 scale for a large individual by my calculation.

Ekrixinatosaurus (3D print by David Krentz on Shapeways)

Great model. This is the 1:40 scale version. I went for quite a bold colour scheme, but I think it works.

The base didn't come with the model; it wouldn't stand on its own, so I based it with a 3D-printed base off Etsy, which I also had to paint. Here's the base before glueing:

Stegosaurus (3D print by mb-cg on Shapeways)

1:72 version. This is a neat little figure.

Allosaurus (3D print by Galileo Hernandez on Shapeways)

This is listed as 1:72 but it's bigger than that, more like 1:50 for an average specimen. If you consider it a Saurophaganax, it works well with the Stegosaurus.

The base is also from Etsy:

Halichoeres

Wow, nicely done! I agree the bold colors on the Ekrixinatosaurus work great.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Elengassen

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 11, 2024, 01:51:42 PMWow, nicely done! I agree the bold colors on the Ekrixinatosaurus work great.

Thank you! My initial inspiration for that one was the agama lizard:

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.