News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 07, 2024, 03:10:07 PMIt happens to large thin pieces like this.  In my opinion I don't see the appeal really. One could easily make a diorama like this without a ton of effort or skill.  Model railroaders have been doing it forever.  If you do decide to get it and it breaks like this it's not hard to repair. Nothing at all like trying to sculpt skin detail on a damaged model.

With all due respect, your comment is not very helpful or constructive. It may have escaped your attention to detail that some people may actually have neither the time nor the appropriate space to build such a base themselves. I was just bringing the issue with the potential damage to the attention of the community and was trying to start a discussion if those people who have ordered this base could perhaps get together and organize maybe a joint reinforced shipment.

Totoro

For what it's worth, I was thinking of logging in just to type out something like what Blade of the Moon wrote. 

Custom bases are one of the easiest and most fun things many of us can create in this hobby.  Most of us lack the skills to sculpt an accurate animal, but creating a custom base can be done in so many ways, with cheap, readily available materials.  Most of us have a yard or are near a field where moss/stones/seeds, etc. can be collected, or things in the kitchen (tea leaves, spices, etc. often make amazing terrain!) and mixed with simple clays that harden in the oven or glued onto flat rocks, etc.  I highly recommend folks try it. 

Plus, we create enough of a dent in the global environment having large wads of plastic shipped from across the world (for many of us) without adding extra bases to the mix. 

Not judging tho, just recommending that those that haven't tried making a base give it a go.  It's not hard and can certainly be done cheaply and without much time or space.   :)     
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 07, 2024, 03:35:37 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 07, 2024, 03:10:07 PMIt happens to large thin pieces like this.  In my opinion I don't see the appeal really. One could easily make a diorama like this without a ton of effort or skill.  Model railroaders have been doing it forever.  If you do decide to get it and it breaks like this it's not hard to repair. Nothing at all like trying to sculpt skin detail on a damaged model.

With all due respect, your comment is not very helpful or constructive. It may have escaped your attention to detail that some people may actually have neither the time nor the appropriate space to build such a base themselves. I was just bringing the issue with the potential damage to the attention of the community and was trying to start a discussion if those people who have ordered this base could perhaps get together and organize maybe a joint reinforced shipment.

I actually thought it would be quite helpful not to mention save a few dollars as well as being fun. Time is not a big factor, if one had a hour to spend a night you could pull this exact base off in a few days. You haven't the space to build it but you have the space to display it? That I don't exactly understand?  Ah if that was your only goal and you weren't looking for a better solution to base your figures I apologize. I will say these joint purchases rarely work having shipped a lot of items overseas. If you had a local/in country distributor for the products then they could order a quantity perhaps but that's about the best I recommend.

As Totoro mentioned it is very easy to do. I've made bases from 6" to 4' for various projects. If it's ever something you want to try feel free to ask.

ceratopsian

I suspect it would break whatever extra packing was added.  There is probably too much tension on the base in its original box because of its extreme size. 

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 07, 2024, 05:46:51 PMI suspect it would break whatever extra packing was added.  There is probably too much tension on the base in its original box because of its extreme size. 

Lana wrote me that they have one report from China where it broke, but they are concerned that this could happen more frequently for international shipments because the packages are just moved around more frequently.

thomasw100

Andys review of the Mamenchisaurus.

thomasw100

Does anyone here have both the Haolonggood green Mamenchisaurus and the green Maiasaura? How does the green base color compare between the two? Do both have the same color or is one of them distinctly lighter or darker?

thomasw100

Dilophosaurus designer editions as per Paleofiguras.

Primeval12

Ok... this looks cool! Was just teased on their Instagram and TikTok. Thanks to the YDAW Server for this info

What do we make of this prey item??? It looks like a short-tailed theropod of some sort but I can't ID the species.

ceratopsian

It has very short arms. Some sort of alvarezsaur??

Carnoking

Color me intrigued. Glad the prey item, whatever it is, is removable.

Dilopho

MLMjp

Thanatosdrakon maybe? Perhaps they got inspired by the latest JW Evolution DLC?

Dilopho

It'll be easy to work out what that prey is once we know what the Pterosaur is.
That's of course if it is an actual known species, and not a generic Alvarezsaur.

Primeval12

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Prey seems to be a bird to me, and the pterosaur hatz, maybe it's that one flightless bird that's everywhere in late Cretaceous Europe? Whatever it is, we finally have a good 1/35 pterosaur!

thomasw100

The release of the Stegosaurus ungulatus seems imminent, a first picture of the three color variants as per Paleofiguras:

Blade-of-the-Moon

Think I'm leaning toward the green? Though all three are pretty nice.

thomasw100

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 12, 2024, 06:23:17 AMThink I'm leaning toward the green? Though all three are pretty nice.

The green will also be my preferred one. Large blue animals are not very plausible, if we consider the availability of blue color pigments in nature. The recent review of the blue Mamenchisaurus by Dinos Dragons was very enlightening. Going from there, the green version appears the most plausible, the green-red one with the blue plates somewhat plausible and the blue one not very plausible. The blue one is however fine if one views these figures as pieces of art.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 12, 2024, 05:55:54 AMThe release of the Stegosaurus ungulatus seems imminent, a first picture of the three color variants as per Paleofiguras:

I think it will be the green version for me too. This might be my very first HLG model, been waiting a long time for a species I actually terribly want.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: