News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunnersaurus

Not usually one for garishly coloured dinosaurs but something about that last one appeals to me.

Interested to see what they are priced at.

Paleo Flo

Nice offerings...I think the blue one is my fav. Tough choice as always.

HLG offers us so visulally striking models, that it is really hard to chose.

Yesterday I received my brown/red/purple Maiasaura and I am as happy as with my blue Mamenchisaurus.
Really great models.

Till know I got not so much of HLG's Dinos but I am quite satiesfied.

Now to be seen in Florassic Park:
- Red Ouranosaurus
- Blue Edmontonia
- Green Chasmosaurus
- Blue Mamenchisaurus
- Tiger Apatosaurus
- Red Maiasaura

Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

SenSx

Those stegosaurus don't have cheeks though.
What is the current consensus on that according to the latest researches ?

thomasw100

Stegosaurus ungulatus now available for purchase at Lana Time Shop. Price is 29.99 USD. With 25 cm length and 13 cm height this is a fairly large model, so that price seems OK. I have placed my order for the green one just now. Shipping to continental Europe is still free. It says on Lana website that the figure would be in stock. So maybe shipping may even start at some point next week.

thomasw100

Quote from: SenSx on June 14, 2024, 09:11:30 AMThose stegosaurus don't have cheeks though.

If you go with Nabavizadeh and Weishampel, dinosaurs should not have had cheeks, but rather something like pseudocheeks. Mammals have cheeks because they need to suck milk as infants. Dinosaurs therefore do not need cheeks. This latest research seems to be increasingly being adopted in dinosaur models and figures. The PNSO Edmontosaurus has no cheeks any more. Unfortunately, the Haolonggood Maiasaura still has. I like that the Haolonggood Stegosaurus ungulatus has no cheeks.

SenSx

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 14, 2024, 10:17:54 AM
Quote from: SenSx on June 14, 2024, 09:11:30 AMThose stegosaurus don't have cheeks though.

If you go with Nabavizadeh and Weishampel, dinosaurs should not have had cheeks, but rather something like pseudocheeks. Mammals have cheeks because they need to suck milk as infants. Dinosaurs therefore do not need cheeks. This latest research seems to be increasingly being adopted in dinosaur models and figures. The PNSO Edmontosaurus has no cheeks any more. Unfortunately, the Haolonggood Maiasaura still has. I like that the Haolonggood Stegosaurus ungulatus has no cheeks.

But they do not need cheeks to keep the food in their mouths ?
I red stegosaurus had rear teeth that suggest it had cheeks.

Carnoking

Decisions, decisions.

I think each of these color schemes has its merits, although I do miss the yellow variant. If the blue steg had the solid red plates we saw a while back, it'd probably be my first choice. Not that the red/yellow plates are bad, but I hate to see the return of those darn white squiggles. That, and the fact that I already have the blue mamenchisaurus in bound is holding me back.

All of that said, I wonder if there will be another figure revealed shortly. I've noticed that they seem to be doing them in pairs.

Quiversaurus

Thank you for posting the images, T @thomasw100 .

I really like this one:

But I wonder if it might be too similar to the PNSO one. The patterns will help differentiate them, but I'll wait for in-hand comparisons before deciding...

SenSx

This will be very hard to choose.
My favorite is the blue stegosaurus, and I don't care if the color is not realistic.
But I alwready have some blue dinos now, and green stego is classic stego...I just like the blue more  :'(

Elengassen

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 14, 2024, 07:20:00 AMMore pictures of the Stegosaurus ungulatus as per Paleofiguras. It appears that this is now being released.

My favourite is still the green/red one, but I have to admit the green one is also very nice, cliché though it may be.
Will the green/red one be a limited edition as was suggested earlier? I can't see anything on the release images about it being one.
One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

Concavenator

Quote from: Elengassen on June 14, 2024, 12:44:02 PMWill the green/red one be a limited edition as was suggested earlier? I can't see anything on the release images about it being one.

Doesn't seem to be the case?  ??? But I would like to know that too.

thomasw100

Quote from: Carnoking on June 14, 2024, 11:41:51 AMDecisions, decisions.

I think each of these color schemes has its merits, although I do miss the yellow variant. If the blue steg had the solid red plates we saw a while back, it'd probably be my first choice. Not that the red/yellow plates are bad, but I hate to see the return of those darn white squiggles. That, and the fact that I already have the blue mamenchisaurus in bound is holding me back.

All of that said, I wonder if there will be another figure revealed shortly. I've noticed that they seem to be doing them in pairs.

Indeed this color variant has the white squiggly lines on the plates. Someone at Haolonggood seems to be really obsessed with them. People keep commenting like a mantra that less is sometimes more and that these lines do not do any good to what is otherwise an excellent paint design. You could perhaps consider getting just the plates repainted by a professional artist / painter. This will be considerable cheaper than a full repaint.

thomasw100

Quote from: Concavenator on June 14, 2024, 12:46:00 PM
Quote from: Elengassen on June 14, 2024, 12:44:02 PMWill the green/red one be a limited edition as was suggested earlier? I can't see anything on the release images about it being one.

Doesn't seem to be the case?  ??? But I would like to know that too.

I would doubt because this one has a name like all the regular releases have. The other limited editions had no name.

Dan

Use Dan's Dinosaurs promo code "dtfmember" during checkout for
$5.00 off Haolonggood Stegosaurus
Offer expires today
Redeem here:
https://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/haolonggood/

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: SenSx on June 14, 2024, 11:12:39 AM

Because the word cheeks refers to the muscles. No dinosaur had/has cheeks, but that doesnt mean they couldn't had skin flaps. The studies only talk about muscles and they leave the door open for the presence of skin flaps, that could help with food. From the outside there could be no difference in the appearance, the Maiasaura not necessarily has cheeks, maybe are just skin flaps, no muscles. A later study on mechanics of some ornithichian dinosaur mandibles conclude that they needed skin flaps for them to work properly. Worth noting some dinosaurs (birds of prey) have skin flaps, and turtles have them too.

Turkeysaurus

Worst part of being a libra making decisions. Fruity or Classic?

I wish fruity had different color than blue. It would be smoother if it had earth colors or contrast dark & light colors.

I'm tired with HLG using this much blue for dinosaurs

SenSx

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on June 14, 2024, 01:59:30 PM
Quote from: SenSx on June 14, 2024, 11:12:39 AM

Because the word cheeks refers to the muscles. No dinosaur had/has cheeks, but that doesnt mean they couldn't had skin flaps. The studies only talk about muscles and they leave the door open for the presence of skin flaps, that could help with food. From the outside there could be no difference in the appearance, the Maiasaura not necessarily has cheeks, maybe are just skin flaps, no muscles. A later study on mechanics of some ornithichian dinosaur mandibles conclude that they needed skin flaps for them to work properly. Worth noting some dinosaurs (birds of prey) have skin flaps, and turtles have them too.

Thanks for the very good explanation.
So the mystery remains intact, and my Rebor stegosaurus might still be good like that for my collection.

Ludodactylus

Difficult choice between fruity and classic, but only because I'm tired of neutrals and earth tones and love the way bright pops of color look in my collection.

But the green with the dark mottling and candy corn plates is distinctly eye catching in its own right.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

postsaurischian

All of them are beautiful.
 The green one unfortunately has German flag colours on its plates. That's one reason why I chose the others.
 Not that I totally dislike my country, but I don't like to see those colours on Dinosaurs. It's not the first time this is happening. Carnegie Amargasaurus comes to mind :) .

thomasw100

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 14, 2024, 03:42:40 PMAll of them are beautiful.
 The green one unfortunately has German flag colours on its plates. That's one reason why I chose the others.
 Not that I totally dislike my country, but I don't like to see those colours on Dinosaurs. It's not the first time this is happening. Carnegie Amargasaurus comes to mind :) .

Honestly I do not see German flag colors on the plates of the green one. That thought never occurred to me. But then I never had a Carnegie Amargasaurus. For me, there is a brownish tone at the base, then an orange tone in the middle and finally a yellow tone at the tip. Though I agree that a more coherent color of the plates with maybe just subtle gradients in tones would have been perhaps better. Or a gradient from brownish into an orange-red like they had it on the Dacentrurus. However, for me the green one is great and if over time the colors of the plates start to bother me, then I know already 3 great people who could give just the plates a repaint.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: