News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Species Safari has yet to produce updated versions of

Started by Sim, July 27, 2024, 11:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy asked for a list of all the Carnegie Collection species Safari has yet to make updated versions of, so I thought it could be worthwhile to provide that in this thread, as well as the species Safari has made in other lines that have yet to receive an updated version.  This is all provided below.

Carnegie Collection species not updated yet
Beipiaosaurus
Brachiosaurus (the most recent Carnegie Brachiosaurus was released after the current, retro, Wild Safari version)
Caudipteryx
Corythosaurus
Dacentrurus (Miragaia)
Deinosuchus
Deltadromeus
Dilong
Euoplocephalus
Maiasaura
Oviraptor
Plateosaurus
Protoceratops
Sinraptor
Tanystropheus

Retro Wild Safari species not updated yet
Brachiosaurus
Gorgosaurus
Guanlong
Hypacrosaurus
Leptoceratops
Mosasaurus
Rhamphorhynchus
Tapejara

Dinosaurs of China retro species not updated yet
Mamenchisaurus
Yangchuanosaurus

Halichoeres

I keep thinking they'll make Plateosaurus and Corythosaurus and they keep not doing it. I also had been thinking of Malawisaurus as being the Saltasaurus replacement, but now we have both!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bmathison1972

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 31, 2024, 12:22:18 PMI keep thinking they'll make Plateosaurus and Corythosaurus and they keep not doing it. I also had been thinking of Malawisaurus as being the Saltasaurus replacement, but now we have both!

I still need several of these genera, and top priorities are Brachiosaurus, Protoceratops, and Plateosaurus, as to me they are among the 'iconic' genera! A Tanystropheus would be super welcome, too  ;D

That being said, if another company tackles these in a reasonable scale for my needs, I won't wait for Safari...

Sim

I am surprised Safari hasn't made Plateosaurus yet.  It's a different type of animal from everything else they've made, it's well-known and much requested.  Plateosaurus is one of the species I'd most like from Safari, the other is Rhamphorhynchus.

I would also be interested in:

Deinosuchus.  I thought the Sarcosuchus might have been a replacement for the Carnegie Deinosuchus, but since Safari has made both Malawisaurus and Saltasaurus, I think Deinosuchus could come from Safari.

Leptoceratops

Hypacrosaurus.  It's a rather striking genus.  I would've been interested in Corythosaurus as well, but I intend to get the PNSO Corythosaurus which I don't think is a bad figure really...

Euoplocephalus.  Since Haolonggood's is a Scolosaurus, it might be interesting to have a true Euoplocephalus from Safari.  I'm not sure there's much known of its osteoderm arrangement though, so one might have to use the postcranial osteoderms of Scolosaurus...

Sim

Also I would like to add I too had been thinking the Malawisaurus was a replacement for the Carnegie Saltasaurus, but as you said Tim, now we have both!  So maybe even Oviraptor might come from Safari!  Safari's non-Parasaurolophus ornithopods have all ended up retired, so I'm not sure we'll see e.g. Corythosaurus or Hypacrosaurus from Safari soon...  Hypacrosaurus is such an interesting choice though, if I'm not mistaken Safari is the only company that's made it.  It would be very nice to have an updated version of it from Safari.

Elengassen

Quote from: Sim on July 31, 2024, 09:51:43 PMI am surprised Safari hasn't made Plateosaurus yet.  It's a different type of animal from everything else they've made, it's well-known and much requested.

Strange how at one time it seemed almost every company had a Plateosaurus, yet now the only one still in production is the Collecta one. Perhaps the new PNSO Lufengosaurus will encourage more companies to make basal sauropodomorphs...  ^-^

Quote from: Sim on July 31, 2024, 09:51:43 PMPlateosaurus is one of the species I'd most like from Safari, the other is Rhamphorhynchus.

I don't really see Safari updating their existing Rhamphorhynchus tbh. I don't think an updated version would look radically different (to the general public at least) and it's not like T.rex where people would flock to buy a new version as soon as it comes out.
One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

Sim

I think Safari has made new figures of species where the difference between the new and old figures is similar to if this were done for Rhamphorhynchus.  For example their Dilophosaurus and Edmontosaurus.  I think between giving a new Rhamphorhynchus figure pycnofibers, a keratin extension for the beak, a membrane between the legs and the adult form of the tail crest, a new Rhamphorhynchus figure would look sufficiently different from the current version to be worthwhile...

Halichoeres

I agree that an updated Rhamphorhynchus would be worthwhile, but I just don't see it coming from Safari in particular, sorry to say. I think I could see them doing a new pterosaur, though, like Pterodactylus maybe.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 02, 2024, 01:15:30 AMI agree that an updated Rhamphorhynchus would be worthwhile, but I just don't see it coming from Safari in particular, sorry to say. I think I could see them doing a new pterosaur, though, like Pterodactylus maybe.

I agree. The current Rhamphorhynchus has been around for a long time so I guess that means it sells well. They probably see no need to retire or remake it.

SpartanSquat

I hope we will have more ceratopsian with large frills like pentaceratops, torosaurus or chasmosaurus.

Halichoeres

Does the Australopithecus in the Evolution of Man set count as an update?

Sim

Primeval12

From this list, I'd most like to see the Tanystropheus redone. The Kaiyodo one I have is ok for now and the Safari one is a bit too splayed for my liking. I'd also like to see Deltadromeus in its new noasaur form. Leptoceratops would be super interesting too. Sinraptor also could use a decent figure of it haha.

Concavenator

Does Apatosaurus count? It was released in 2010, same year as the Brachiosaurus.

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on August 05, 2024, 11:57:09 PMDoes Apatosaurus count? It was released in 2010, same year as the Brachiosaurus.
I'm not sure.  It doesn't strike me as particularly retro, Doug Watson sculpted the Safari Camarasaurus in the same style as the Apato, and I'm not counting the 2010 Safari Liopleurodon as retro while I do the Safari Mosasaurus from the same year, again due to quality.

Primeval12

Quote from: Sim on August 06, 2024, 12:10:51 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on August 05, 2024, 11:57:09 PMDoes Apatosaurus count? It was released in 2010, same year as the Brachiosaurus.
I'm not sure.  It doesn't strike me as particularly retro, Doug Watson sculpted the Safari Camarasaurus in the same style as the Apato, and I'm not counting the 2010 Safari Liopleurodon as retro while I do the Safari Mosasaurus from the same year, again due to quality.

I think the Apatosaurus is halfway to retro due to the nostrils on the head

TheCambrianCrusader

I'd also throw Postosuchus on that list. I don't think Safari will ever discontinue it cuz it seems like it always sells really well, but it desperately needs a new figure from somebody. Maybe Collecta now that we got a Placerias.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.