News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Shane on July 22, 2024, 01:12:45 PMIt also appears that the Baryonyx's raised foot is in front of the alternate foot, while the Saurophaganax's raised foot is slightly behind.
Oh yeah, well spotted!  The Saurophaganax is raising its foot to bring it forward while the Baryonyx is placing its foot down.  They're at different stages of the walk cycle!

thomasw100

Dinos dragons review of Baryonyx:

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: thomasw100 on July 23, 2024, 05:28:27 PMDinos dragons review of Baryonyx:

Well, well, well... look who has also noticed the torso issue, ngl I almost had an ...asm when he mentions that, jokes aside, for me is leagues behind their previous theropod Tyrannotitan, in every aspect, pose, color scheme, color aplication, anatomical accuracy... but still very enjoyable figure for those who like it, the details of the figure itself are top notch.

Turkeysaurus

I has some issues but still best Baryonyx on market by far. I wish first claw was a big bigger or others smaller.

oscars_dinos

could we blame its thickness on it being egg bound or just fat lol???

Mattyonyx

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on July 20, 2024, 11:04:50 AMVery usefull and interesting photos/videos, for me its like they took Saurophaganax body, removed the head and neck with that of Baryonyx, and modified the arms and base of the tail. If people got angry with hadrosaur cranial anatomy or ankylosaur dermal armour number and position (and they are right by doing so, many of us look for accuracy) I can get angry looking at an avetheropod rig cage in a megalosauroid, is as inaccurate as the crest of Haolonggood Maiasaura. In the video Quiversaurus posted at 4:16 it is very clear, Bary should have a body like that of Sinoplio and Sucho, flatter. 

The composite 3D rendering of Suchomimus tenerensis, which first appeared in Sereno et al. 2022 and was based on the known Suchomimus specimens, says otherwise.
https://www.morphosource.org/concern/media/000486547?locale=en

In fact, the Baryonyx model captures our current understanding of Baryonychinae's skeletal anatomy pretty well, almost better than Suchomimus.

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: Mattyonyx on July 24, 2024, 06:32:47 PM
Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on July 20, 2024, 11:04:50 AMVery usefull and interesting photos/videos, for me its like they took Saurophaganax body, removed the head and neck with that of Baryonyx, and modified the arms and base of the tail. If people got angry with hadrosaur cranial anatomy or ankylosaur dermal armour number and position (and they are right by doing so, many of us look for accuracy) I can get angry looking at an avetheropod rig cage in a megalosauroid, is as inaccurate as the crest of Haolonggood Maiasaura. In the video Quiversaurus posted at 4:16 it is very clear, Bary should have a body like that of Sinoplio and Sucho, flatter. 

The composite 3D rendering of Suchomimus tenerensis, which first appeared in Sereno et al. 2022 and was based on the known Suchomimus specimens, says otherwise.
https://www.morphosource.org/concern/media/000486547?locale=en

In fact, the Baryonyx model captures our current understanding of Baryonychinae's skeletal anatomy pretty well, almost better than Suchomimus.

Says otherwise of what? In fact says what I was stating, Baryonyx is by no means more robust than Suchomimus and:

1- Thats a Sucho skeletal when I was talking about Bary.
2- In fact it shows that, as I mentioned several times before, too many times at this point, megalosauroid spinosaurid baryonychinae torsos are elongated, more consistent, subparalel through the dorsal series, with not specially broad thoracic region as in Allosaurids and tyrannosaurids (and the pnso model), BECAUSE the anterior and mid dorsals of baryonichinae and megalosaurids, such torvosaurus, have horizontal diapophyses, they only rise to a dorsolateral position in the posterior dorsals at 10th dorsal, to fall again to horizontal position by the 12-13th dorsal, and this is consistent through megalosauroidea. In contrast in Allosaurus from the 3rd dorsal to the 8th dorsal diapophyses are rised to a dorsolateral position, along with the bowed ribs it gives a barrel like torso to the animal, as seen in the Saurophaganax model. In Baryonychinae (and most megalosauroids... again) the ribs are straighter and pointing downward (horizontal diapophyses...), so no rounded thorax, and you can clearly see this in the model you shared, in cranial view, the ribs shaft is way straighter than in avetheropods. Also note that the scapula of Baryonyx or Sucho (or Torvo) are by far much less curved/bowed (unlike PNSO model) than those of Allosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Daspleto... because they do not have a broad torso to wrap.
Also note that the rib cage doesnt exceeds the width at the femoral head, and in PNSO model it greatly exceeds the neutral posed leg with the muscles.
3- There havent been any more Baryonyx walkeri specimens discovered since the holotype where all these features are present, and Iberospinus, once referred to Baryonyx, further show the straight ribs.

Iberospinus rib

Bary ribs

scapula

mid dorsals

Dorsals of some avetheropod

1-sinraptor
2-allosaurus
3-tyrannosaurus
4-deinonychus

torvo rib cage

allo ribcage

dasp ribcage

tyranno ribcage

sucho ribcage

bary ribcage

PS: Godamn I saved the post I almost lost it refreshing the page! also thanks for the 3D model.

Shane

I'm no paleontologist, but when I freeze-frame the Dino Dragon video showing the Baryonyx torso from the front view, the "robustness" is very comparable to the 3D skeletal of the Suchomimus that Mattyonyx shared from the Sereno paper.

While obviously the PNSO Baryonyx appears more robust than the PNSO Suchomimus, I have to wonder how much of that is due to the neural spines of Suchomimus giving the overall shape a more laterally compressed look.

The PNSO Baryonyx, lacking the raised neural spines, would appear more robust.

But it's nowhere near as robust as the PNSO Saurophaganax and is certainly not just a "head and hand swap".

Sim

I'll add that Baryonyx appears to be more robust than Suchomimus.  Notice how the humerus of Suchomimus is more slender than that of Baryonyx, even when Suchomimus is larger!

(Image source)

The PNSO Baryonyx is consistent with the Baryonyx skeleton showed.  Plus, as I showed earlier, Baryonyx's preserved dorsal ribs.  Baryonyx appears to have a more rounded torso than Suchomimus and especially Torvosaurus.  And Iberospinus, a difference between its ribs and Baryonyx's is noticeable.  I'd stopped engaging with the discussion of Baryonyx's ribcage as it felt like something is being created out of nothing.  I would like to add that I'd never noticed Allosaurus had such a wide ribcage though.

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: Sim on July 25, 2024, 04:06:33 PMI'll add that Baryonyx appears to be more robust than Suchomimus.  Notice how the humerus of Suchomimus is more slender than that of Baryonyx, even when Suchomimus is larger!

(Image source)

The PNSO Baryonyx is consistent with the Baryonyx skeleton showed.  Plus, as I showed earlier, Baryonyx's preserved dorsal ribs.  Baryonyx appears to have a more rounded torso than Suchomimus and especially Torvosaurus.  And Iberospinus, a difference between its ribs and Baryonyx's is noticeable.  I'd stopped engaging with the discussion of Baryonyx's ribcage as it felt like something is being created out of nothing.  I would like to add that I'd never noticed Allosaurus had such a wide ribcage though.

I would like to said that those reconstructions are very old and outdated (and stouter humerus doesnt imply a more robust animal overall), im also going to stop with the discussion, I have better photos of Bary ribs but the only ones that can be shared here are links.
Anyway at the pace pnso is releasing the new dinos I felt there needed to be some discussion about them to keep the thread alive between releases :D

PS: the torso of Haolonggood Bary and other brands Barys is flat  >:D  ;D  ok ok I stop

Prehistory Resurrection

thomasw100

Lana Time Shop has now lowered the price of the Baryonyx to 38.99 USD (down from the original price of 42.99 USD). They have also issued a refund for those who had ordered it at the higher original price.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: thomasw100 on July 26, 2024, 05:43:27 PMThey have also issued a refund for those who had ordered it at the higher original price.
Now this is something other companies should take note of, excellent business practices!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: thomasw100 on July 26, 2024, 05:43:27 PMLana Time Shop has now lowered the price of the Baryonyx to 38.99 USD (down from the original price of 42.99 USD). They have also issued a refund for those who had ordered it at the higher original price.

Confirmed they refunded me as well.

thomasw100

New PNSO video about the reconstruction of the Baryonyx:

sage2k

I just got Maxim the Bary. Let me know if anyone wants comparison pics. I have a decent number of PNSO, some Nanmu, and a few misc (Haolonggood, W-dragon, Eofauna diplo)

Sim

Well, Paleofiguras has reported that PNSO has expressed wanting to make a Gigantoraptor with a nest.  It looks like, based on how things went with Tyrannotitan, a Gigantoraptor from PNSO will be coming.  I am interested in a Gigantoraptor figure but not a nest.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Sim on August 02, 2024, 12:35:35 AMWell, Paleofiguras has reported that PNSO has expressed wanting to make a Gigantoraptor with a nest.  It looks like, based on how things went with Tyrannotitan, a Gigantoraptor from PNSO will be coming.  I am interested in a Gigantoraptor figure but not a nest.

What does Tyrannotitan have to  do with Gigantoraptor's production?

Gigantoraptor from PNSO is an instant buy for me. I don't even have to see it lol. Nest or not. (I hope not sitting position though)

Sim

With Tyrannotitan, it started with PNSO expressing wanting to make it and later they made it.  I too hope the Gigantoraptor won't be in a sitting position.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: