News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Just realised Safari's 2020 Concavenator and Dilophosaurus were made in 1:35 scale, which is interesting considering Safari's 2023 Utahraptor and Majungasaurus were made in a larger scale despite being similarly-sized animals. I wish the Utahraptor had been made in 1:35 scale too. But yeah, I know Safari doesn't adhere to a particular scale and that they're not necessarily/exclusively targeted at the market that mostly gets 1:35 figures of prehistoric animals. However, if they were fine making the Dilophosaurus and the Concavenator at those sizes, I don't see why they also wouldn't be fine making the Utahraptor and the Majungasaurus at those same sizes, too. If it's because they would look smallish (generally, as figures) at 1:35 scale, so are their Concavenator and Dilophosaurus, and it's OK.

That said, I still plan to get Safari's Utahraptor. I'm not going to say no to a great Utahraptor like that.  :P

Sim

The Dilophosaurus and Concavenator were not very well-received.  The Dilophosaurus in particular was criticised for its small size.  The Concavenator has been retired only three years after it was released.  I wouldn't be surprised if that played a part in Safari not wanting to make more small Wild Safari figures.  The re-release of their Kentrosaurus suggests otherwise though..  It may also be that the Majungasaurus and Utahraptor were made larger than 1:35 scale to work better with the Wild Safari Masiakasaurus, and 2017 Velociraptor and Deinonychus respectively.  I do find the Utahraptor being bigger than the other Wild Safari dromaeosaurids is pleasing.

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim Well, the size matter is subjective. What one person could perceive as small could be perceived as adequate/big by another, or inversely. For someone who has a preference for 1:35 scale, that Dilophosaurus (and the Concavenator) has an adequate size (again, not everyone is such a collector, but at the same time, having a preference for this scale is not unheard of when this sort of collectible is concerned). What aren't subjective are sales. Don't know how good of a seller that Dilophosaurus is, but at least it's not retired.

And when it comes to the Concavenator's retirement, we also don't know how relevant of a factor size was. Another factor could've simply been the species choice, perhaps people aren't that much into the species. Or that simply a lot of people don't like the figure from an aesthetic standpoint. Who knows...

The Qianzhousaurus got retired at the same time, yet it boasts a similar size to most of Safari's recent theropods (Allosaurus, Daspletosaurus, etc).

Concavenator

Utahraptor is here!!  ^-^

Safari keeps making the best non-articulated dromaeosaurid figures and I have to thank them for that. Hopefully the trend continues, as there are still notable members of the clade that, inexplicably, have still not been made justice, like Austroraptor, Halszkaraptor or Zhenyuanlong.

Carnoking

Ticked off another of Safari's 2023 releases during their July sales. Now all that's left is that Therizinosaurus...

Jose S.M.

Those look really nice. I'm so behind with collecting but I think the 2024 safari releases are going to break my collecting hiatus soon.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.