News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mellow Stego's repaints and customs

Started by Mellow Stego, October 30, 2019, 03:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mellow Stego

Ok guys this is my first try at repainting a figure.
Constructive criticism is welcomed. I really want to get better at this.

Fixed the teeth.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Jose S.M.

It looks really nice! with more experience you will get better but this one is sucessfull for a first repaint! you can also try things like washes or brushing techniques to make the details pop more, I'm still learning to do that myself.

Shonisaurus

You will improve and improve over time to be the first figure is very well painted. In my case, unfortunately, I don't even have that expertise to paint figures even as you've painted that beautiful spinosaurus.

BlueKrono

I like the color scheme. Look into washes and later, dry-brushing techniques. They make the details on a figure really pop and make the whole thing look a lot more realistic.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Cretaceous Crab

I like the color scheme, too. Not too flashy, and very natural for an animal that size.

As far as repainting, everyone starts somewhere. I would suggest practicing on some "cheapasaurs." Some of them do have some nice texture to work with.

Killekor

Your repaint looks really nice, Mellow Stego!
I really like it's color scheme, which is very crocodilian and suits on the Schleich Spinosaurus perfectly. In particular the beige on the sail is a nice touch.
Congratulations! I'm looking forward on seeing your next works!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Halichoeres

Very nice, especially for a first attempt! You might find useful tips in the following thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=395.0
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Mellow Stego

Thanks everyone for the kind and encouraging words! :D
I have to admit that repainting toys can be quite fun.

Mellow Stego

Clay Spinosaurus embryo!

What do you guys think?
More pics to come.

Shonisaurus

That embryo seems good to me, the umbilical cord is seen if I'm not mistaken. But the spinosaurus was not a mammal, it was an ancestor of birds, so I can deduce that it is the umbilical cord that birds have in their eggs when they are about to hatch.

It is the inside of a spinosaurus egg.

Mellow Stego

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 12, 2020, 05:35:51 PM
That embryo seems good to me, the umbilical cord is seen if I'm not mistaken. But the spinosaurus was not a mammal, it was an ancestor of birds, so I can deduce that it is the umbilical cord that birds have in their eggs when they are about to hatch.

It is the inside of a spinosaurus egg.

Yeah it's gonna be inside an egg when it's done.

Duna

It's lovely! But the "umbilical cord" may be too long and vein and artery too twisted for a reptile or bird (that would be ok for mammals).
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/1e41da_ac7acec359c148ddb2f9f89421629c11.jpg_srz_3600_5997_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz
I really like the colors, they fit perfectly.

austrosaurus

The repaint of the Spinosaurus is not bad at all! Very reminiscent of the new Battat repaints. Is it the new Schleich model?

Lanthanotus

The others already talked about the isuues with the umbilical cord, lenght and grade of twisting should be adjusted to get the most authentic look. Also - though it would interfere with the recognition of this anumal as Spinosaurus and not, lets say Baryonyx - I'd go fully without head crest and sail or just add an ever so slight crest as a beginning of a sail. No reptile with bone structured crests has these developed as hatching young, simply because this would be too ressource intensive and is a treat that first gains impotance in adolescence.

That being said, the overall proportions are very good and on point, especially in the big eyes and the short and stumpy snout. Am curious about the final result :)

Mellow Stego

Sorry I takes me so long to post, guys. i'm a stay-at-home dad with a 1 year old so I tend to get busy. :))

Quote from: austrosaurus on February 27, 2020, 04:27:15 AM
The repaint of the Spinosaurus is not bad at all! Very reminiscent of the new Battat repaints. Is it the new Schleich model?

Yeah it's the Schleich model. they make for great repaints.
Quote from: Lanthanotus on February 27, 2020, 09:42:33 AM
The others already talked about the isuues with the umbilical cord, lenght and grade of twisting should be adjusted to get the most authentic look. Also - though it would interfere with the recognition of this anumal as Spinosaurus and not, lets say Baryonyx - I'd go fully without head crest and sail or just add an ever so slight crest as a beginning of a sail. No reptile with bone structured crests has these developed as hatching young, simply because this would be too ressource intensive and is a treat that first gains impotance in adolescence.

That being said, the overall proportions are very good and on point, especially in the big eyes and the short and stumpy snout. Am curious about the final result :)

Yeah I'm aware it's not accurate. but i still like it.   

Mellow Stego

So I customized my Safari Edmontosaurus comb.

Not super noticeable, but I think it came out well.

Shonisaurus

You've got the perfect edmontosaurus crest. I congratulate you, keep it up.

Mellow Stego

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus Thank you very much!
Was never a fan of the fez hat look.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.