News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

John Conway's paleoart

Started by Reptilia, January 20, 2017, 02:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

John Conway's style is not what I'd properly define as naturalistic, there are dozens of other paleoartists which have a naturalistic style in the stricter sense of the term, but stands halfway between a naturalistic and a dreamy dimension. That's at least what I feel about his works. He's also regarded as one of the most imaginative and speculative modern paleoartists, and I am stunned by all of his colourful but yet realistic representations. I'd die to have a line of figures directly inspired by his paintings. For those who don't know him might worth check out his website and the book he made together with C.M. Kosemen and Darren Naish, which is called "All Yesterdays".

Here's some of my favourites from his portfolio:

http://johnconway.co/

Halichoeres

Good stuff. I agree, he doesn't go for the photorealism of someone like Csotonyi, but the compositions are very imaginative.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Silvanusaurus

Easily my favourite palaeoartist. I need a book just full of his work.

danmalcolm

Wow his work is extremely interesting... Any ideas on where to pick up that book? A quick good search yielded poor results.

suspsy

Conway is probably the best paleoartist when it comes to making dinosaurs seem like real animals instead of boring old monsters.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ceratopsian

Quote from: danmalcolm on January 20, 2017, 03:22:55 PM
Wow his work is extremely interesting... Any ideas on where to pick up that book? A quick good search yielded poor results.

It's listed on both amazon.co.uk and amazon.com - multiple authors might confuse the issue?

Neosodon

Never herd of this guy before. I prefer more naturalistic art but he certainly has a good artistic sense. Depicts dinosaurs in a way that seems to give them a mood and makes me think of them differently. Kind of hard to describe.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Brontozaurus

Conway's quoted in Dinosaur Art as saying that his particular style is exactly because everyone goes for realism. Once you've achieved realism, then what?
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

The Atroxious

Not a huge fan of his application of lips on archosaurs, or the fact that he rips plumage for nonavian dinosaurs from extant species, but I personally like the fact that he goes for a more stylized approach. Prehistoric art seems to have a disproportionate number of artists striving for photorealism, which is all well and good, but I like to see a variety of styles to keep things fresh.

Concavenator

Conway is my favourite paleoartist as wel,his work really is  magical

Patrx

Sometime around 2009 or so, I stumbled across Conway's beautiful Deinonychus portrait and was struck by how different it was from the Deinonychus I remembered:

The painting is basically what inspired me to research dinosaurs again, to see how much depictions of my other favorite dinosaurs had changed, and ultimately, to start collecting dinosaur figures and fossils.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I really like his depiction of tyrannosaurus rex:

It reminds me of a grizzly or even a polar bear.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on January 31, 2017, 05:06:41 PM
I really like his depiction of tyrannosaurus rex:

It reminds me of a grizzly or even a polar bear.

Reminds me of a Gorilla. It really is great.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.