News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Started by MaastrichtianGuy, June 11, 2017, 04:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaastrichtianGuy

now i would like to show you a sequel of the jurassic park movie.it is the Lost World: Jurassic Park.based off of the novel that is a sequel to the original jurassic park novel

Stegosaurus

Mamenchisaurus

Gallimimus

Triceratops

Pachycephalosaurus

Parasaurolophus

MaastrichtianGuy

Pteranodon

Compsognathus

Velociraptor

Tyrannosaurus Rex

Edmontosaurus

Jose S.M.

I feel like I'm one of the few that likes this movie heheh, I'm perfectly fine with the Tyrannosaurus going to San Diego, the special effects in that secuence were great, to bad there's that huuuge plot hole of what killed the ship's crew,there's no logical way the Tyrannosaurus could have done it. And the gymnastics scene was bad too. There was a bit of mindless ambientalism in releasing the dinosaurs without thinking the havoc they were going to cause and in taking baby rex to their camp. I find the action scenes very exciting and aside for what I mentioned everything else was good for this saga standards.

Takama

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on June 11, 2017, 09:09:22 PM
I feel like I'm one of the few that likes this movie heheh, I'm perfectly fine with the Tyrannosaurus going to San Diego, the special effects in that secuence were great, to bad there's that huuuge plot hole of what killed the ship's crew,there's no logical way the Tyrannosaurus could have done it. And the gymnastics scene was bad too. There was a bit of mindless ambientalism in releasing the dinosaurs without thinking the havoc they were going to cause and in taking baby rex to their camp. I find the action scenes very exciting and aside for what I mentioned everything else was good for this saga standards.

There was suposed to be a deleted scene that showed that a Pack of Raptors sneked onto the ship, and killed the crew.

When i was young, this was my favorite Dinosaur film. But now I prefer the original over this one.    I also liked the book a lot more then the movie it spawned

stargatedalek

Quote from: Takama on June 11, 2017, 09:15:10 PM

There was suposed to be a deleted scene that showed that a Pack of Raptors sneked onto the ship, and killed the crew.

When i was young, this was my favorite Dinosaur film. But now I prefer the original over this one.    I also liked the book a lot more then the movie it spawned
The book was "commissioned" on request of Spielberg because he didn't want someone else to write the sequel from scratch.

Takama

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 11, 2017, 09:32:35 PM

The book was "commissioned" on request of Spielberg because he didn't want someone else to write the sequel from scratch.
Well whatever the case, i liked it a lot better then the Movie.

Faelrin

Of all the Jurassic Park sequels, I have to say that I enjoy this one the most. I really like the darker atmosphere that it had. It also has my favorite incarnation of the JP raptor's: the tiger striped males. And like many others I have a fond memory of the toyline it spawned. The baby T. rex Junior was my favorite of the ones I had at the time, aside from the Velociraptor toy of course.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Appalachiosaurus

My favorite Jurassic Park sequel, it really does not get the credit it deserves. The San Diego scene was perfect homage to the original 1925 movie.

That is actually a myth based on a single piece of concept art:

None of the early scripts of the movie ever showed what happened on the boat, I always thought it was pretty obvious that the Buck did it.

BlueKrono

That's odd. That illustration does not even look like the interior of a ship to me.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on June 12, 2017, 04:31:03 AM
My favorite Jurassic Park sequel, it really does not get the credit it deserves. The San Diego scene was perfect homage to the original 1925 movie.

That is actually a myth based on a single piece of concept art:

None of the early scripts of the movie ever showed what happened on the boat, I always thought it was pretty obvious that the Buck did it.

that's the basic assumption, he woke up, ran rampant and was sealed below again .   there are a couple problems with that though,  the captains hands are on the wheel at the helm, a spot with doors too small for arex head to enter.  the next is the hand holding the control to the hold doors, the owner is dead after the rex went into the hold.   whatever the director's intent it's scene rife with issues.  :-\

Appalachiosaurus

Well yeah, the hand on the steering wheel is hard to explain, but the man holding the controls isn't tough to figure out. The crew number was probably very small, so when the Buck woke up and broke out of his cage on top of the deck, his panic state and all the drugs in his system made him blindly attack, but not eat, everyone around him. During the attack, the Buck bites onto the man whose hand we see holding the controls and fatality wounds him. Then, a crew member sacrifices himself by luring the Buck into the cargo hold and the fatality wounded man manages to press the button to close the hold and trap the​ Buck before he expires.

Jose S.M.

But the cargo doors didn't look like they were damaged in the movie, if the T-rex broke out before the ship arrived, it would had  damaged the doors.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on June 12, 2017, 09:23:55 PM
But the cargo doors didn't look like they were damaged in the movie, if the T-rex broke out before the ship arrived, it would had  damaged the doors.

The rex was in a cage on deck that it broke out of. Putting it in the cargo hold was the only means of containment at that point since the cage was destroyed.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on June 12, 2017, 09:58:13 PM
Quote from: Jose_S.M. on June 12, 2017, 09:23:55 PM

The rex was in a cage on deck that it broke out of. Putting it in the cargo hold was the only means of containment at that point since the cage was destroyed.

Right, it was on that cage first, I forgot! well so the only weird thing on the scene is the hanging hand.

Gwangi

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on June 12, 2017, 08:12:34 PM
Well yeah, the hand on the steering wheel is hard to explain, but the man holding the controls isn't tough to figure out. The crew number was probably very small, so when the Buck woke up and broke out of his cage on top of the deck, his panic state and all the drugs in his system made him blindly attack, but not eat, everyone around him. During the attack, the Buck bites onto the man whose hand we see holding the controls and fatality wounds him. Then, a crew member sacrifices himself by luring the Buck into the cargo hold and the fatality wounded man manages to press the button to close the hold and trap the​ Buck before he expires.

If you have to resort to those sort of mental gymnastics to explain a scene then it only re-enforces the fact that "The Lost World" was a poorly written movie.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on June 13, 2017, 01:38:48 AMIf you have to resort to those sort of mental gymnastics to explain a scene then it only re-enforces the fact that "The Lost World" was a poorly written movie.

A movie doesn't have to explain every detail to be good, just enough to allow the story to make sense in its own universe. What happened on the S.S. Venture is intentionally left unexplained to allow a build up to the climax, if the characters had stopped to explain how it all went down the image of the Buck escaping from the cargo hold and stomping into San Diego would be less impactful.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Gwangi on June 13, 2017, 01:38:48 AM

If you have to resort to those sort of mental gymnastics to explain a scene then it only re-enforces the fact that "The Lost World" was a poorly written movie.
Really? I always thought it was really obvious that's what had happened even watching it as a kid.

laticauda

As it often happens on unplanned sequels that are greenlighted for a money grab, the story gets lost.   Even with Steven directing, the story in the movie suffers from a lack of motivation and direction.  They had a lot of running and screaming (which is fun) with some great scenes but it felt hollow and was neither the adventure or suspense film it should have been.  Watching multiple making of JPLW documentaries, Steven talks about having so much fun on the first JP that he decided it would be fun to do another.  He made decisions based on nostalgia from the prior movie instead of chasing a quality well thought out story.  He made the movie for fun, not to tell a compelling story and that's why it was lacking. 

That being said, I still really enjoyed the film.

As for the severed hands on the ship, for many years I assumed it was Velociraptors due to the subplot in the novel JP.  In the novel they are trying to stop the Velociraptors that are on board a ship from reaching the mainland.  When I first watched the movie I thought there were two possibilities. Either they did a poor job editing and just didn't explain that part, or they were trying to set up for a trilogy based off another subplot from the JP novel.  In the novel a bunch of mysterious animals are attacking costal villages in Costa Rica, and the animals disappear into the jungles.  Setting up a third movie were velociraptors are lose in America.

Ok, that's not what they did and the Wiki  story goes that they feared the buck was going into cardiac arrest and administered amphetamine which sent the Buck into overload and killed the entire crew, with the last crew member in a heroic move as he died closing the cargo doors before the Buck could escape. 

Funny thing, the S.S. Venture is the name of the ship in King Kong.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: laticauda on June 13, 2017, 02:20:01 AM

As it often happens on unplanned sequels that are greenlighted for a money grab, the story gets lost.   Even with Steven directing, the story in the movie suffers from a lack of motivation and direction.  They had a lot of running and screaming (which is fun) with some great scenes but it felt hollow and was neither the adventure or suspense film it should have been.  Watching multiple making of JPLW documentaries, Steven talks about having so much fun on the first JP that he decided it would be fun to do another.  He made decisions based on nostalgia from the prior movie instead of chasing a quality well thought out story.  He made the movie for fun, not to tell a compelling story and that's why it was lacking. 

That being said, I still really enjoyed the film.

As for the severed hands on the ship, for many years I assumed it was Velociraptors due to the subplot in the novel JP.  In the novel they are trying to stop the Velociraptors that are on board a ship from reaching the mainland.  When I first watched the movie I thought there were two possibilities. Either they did a poor job editing and just didn't explain that part, or they were trying to set up for a trilogy based off another subplot from the JP novel.  In the novel a bunch of mysterious animals are attacking costal villages in Costa Rica, and the animals disappear into the jungles.  Setting up a third movie were velociraptors are lose in America.

Ok, that's not what they did and the Wiki  story goes that they feared the buck was going into cardiac arrest and administered amphetamine which sent the Buck into overload and killed the entire crew, with the last crew member in a heroic move as he died closing the cargo doors before the Buck could escape. 

Funny thing, the S.S. Venture is the name of the ship in King Kong.

I recall it being said the final scene was a sort of kong/Harryhausen tribute.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.