News:

Dinosaur Toy Forum Diorama Contest 2024. Deadline for submissions is October 29th 2024. Contest details here.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tyrannosaurus diorama

Started by JohannesB, September 28, 2018, 02:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohannesB

My first attempt at some kind of diorama with the Tyrannosaurus (35cm long) made of polyester modelling clay. Quite a steep learning curve, and a bit painful along the way, but I think it has come out okay, considering. I think I would do some things differently next time though.

Jose S.M.

It's a great job, the animals and landscape look great, was this your first attempt at sculpting a dinosaur?

JohannesB

@ Jose S.M. Yes, my first attempt. My goodness, it was hard work ;-)

Jose S.M.

The hard work paid off! I like it very much.

spinosaurus1

amazing sculpture. i love the colors

paintingdinos

This is an OUTSTANDING first attempt! Sculpting, paint application, diorama... looks fantastic!

Halichoeres

Thanks for posting the in-progress pics! I loved this diorama and it definitely got one of my votes. The craftsmanship that goes into real dioramas is a big factor in my vote, and this one is a gem.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tyrantqueen

Amazing for a first attempt! It looks quite freaky from the front.

Patrx

Hey, wow! You should be proud, this turned out really well :)

JohannesB

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 28, 2018, 04:09:59 PM
Amazing for a first attempt! It looks quite freaky from the front.

Yes, weird how that turned out. It has everything to do with details that are not quite realistic, like the eyes. I couldn't be bothered to change anything once I thought it was ready. And besides, I really had no idea how to make it look better with the tools and materials I had. Better luck next time I guess.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: paintingdinos on September 28, 2018, 03:45:17 PM
This is an OUTSTANDING first attempt! Sculpting, paint application, diorama... looks fantastic!

QFE

You had my vote,... would never have guessed it was self made, thought of the rex as a kit, placed in a very nice custom base. The ptero is Tamiya, isn't it? Can hardly imagine what you do next when this was a first run :D

irimali

I voted for you!  It's a beautiful figure you've made. 

mgaguilar

This is friggin' GORGEOUS. I cannot believe this is your first attempt! Fantastic work!

JohannesB

stegosauria

Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 28, 2018, 08:44:07 PM
Can hardly imagine what you do next when this was a first run :D

My exact thought!

I voted for this diorama too, it really looks lifelike. I think if you practice this more you will win later.

Bokisaurus

Wow, impressive work! I can't believe this was your first sculpt, looks really well done! I can appreciate the work involved in sculpting now that I have dabbled with it. ;D
I hope you continue sculpting as you obviously have talent. I can't wait to see what else you can come up with.

suspsy

I voted for this piece in the diorama contest and I was terribly disappointed that it didn't get more votes. It is a terrific piece of art!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

JohannesB

Thanks all!, and I think I will try a new dinosaur figure some time next year. I will keep it "easy" and only sculpt a figure on a relatively simple wooden base :-) I am not certain what kind of dinosaur yet. Possibly another theropod, or maybe a ceratopsid or a hadrosaurid.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.