News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Big, BIG Figures

Started by Lynx, August 04, 2022, 08:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

A place to discuss what you can consider 'massive' figure-wise. There's no actual set size for what 'big' is, but I think the thread is self-explanatory.

An oversized house cat.

EmperorDinobot

Well, we all know the usual suspects: Definitely Dinosaurs Ultrasaurus, Dino Riders Brontosaurus, JP Legacy Brachiosaurus, Apatosaurus and Dominion Dreadnoughtus, as well as the colossal figures, but surely there's more.

I remember seeing an ad in a shop air magazine on a flight, but I'm not sure if it was 1996 or 2000, but said ad was of a Tyrannosaurus figure that was as big as a dog. Price tag was like $300 at the time, and it was made with the latest research on Tyrannosaurus. My dad peeled the page and I later added it to a folder where I would add scraps of dinosaur related news wherever I went. I rediscovered said folder about 10 years ago, only to have it vanish again in modern times. If I find the ad, I'll take a picture and post it here so y'all can tell me more about this massive T.rex figure.

CityRaptor

Aside from those mentioned, the Aurora Prehistoric Scenes/Monogram/Revell Tyrannosaurus comes to mind.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Cretaceous Crab

My scale....

• MINI: toob figures,  JW miniature figures,  what you may get out of a Kinder Egg
  • SMALL: the smaller end of most CollectA and Safari Ltd figures
  • MED: most figures in the 1:30-1:45 scale range
  • LARGE: deluxe CollectA figures, largest Safari/Carnegie figures, most of the JW Mattel dinos
  • X-LARGE: ones mentioned by EmperorDinobot above

EmperorDinobot

BlueKrono

My two biggest are the Disney's Animal Kingdom Saltasaurus and an inflatable JW Mosasaurus. Saltie is made from latex, wire and cotton batting and is probably about 4 ft. long. I think the Mosasaur is about 6 ft. long.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Roselaar

The largest figure in my collection is still the humongous UKRD Brontosaurus. Though Mattel's colossal figures have been giving it a good run for its money.

If released, the Masters on the Universe Gigantisaur from the original toy line would probably have taken the top spot of biggest dinosaur toy:

Ikessauro

CollectA's 1:15 Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops

Blade-of-the-Moon

My largest pieces that stay in the house are probably the Prime 1 Indoraptor/Mosa/or Spino , Mattel Dreadnoghtus , Kaiyodo Brachiosaurus,  Shane Foulkes Apatosaurus,  JW super colossals, Sideshow Rex. 

Ikessauro

Can we consider large statues as "Figures?" If so there will be a lot to list here.

BlueKrono

avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro I don't see why not. The Prime1 statues are probably near the top of mass-produced figures in size.

avatar_Roselaar @Roselaar I didn't know UKRD made enlargements of their smaller dinos. Were there others? Is the Bronto hollow or solid plastic like the little version?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Pachyrhinosaurus

My largest are the Sideshow stegosaurus and the Mattel brachiosaurus. I also have a cast of the Permian amphibian Seymouria that's decently-sized as well.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Roselaar

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 05, 2022, 07:54:01 PMavatar_Roselaar @Roselaar I didn't know UKRD made enlargements of their smaller dinos. Were there others? Is the Bronto hollow or solid plastic like the little version?

As far as I know, this is the only blown-up UKRD figure. I'v e never seen any of the others remodeled in this way. It's hollow, but still considerably heavy.
Interestingly enough, their big Brontosaurus was available in two paint jobs, the one above and a more detailed green/yellow paint job that looked more like its basic scale counterpart.

Gwangi

I've wanted that big UKRD Brontosaurus for years now but have yet to come across one.

Lynx

Going to pick up some of these figures listed in replies, that is if I can find some of them still.
An oversized house cat.

Halichoeres

How about PNSO's Huanghetitan? It's not on the same level as the Mattel Dreadnoughtus, but it's a bulky one:

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.