You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What shelf setup (in your history of collecting) has worked best?

Started by Lynx, April 07, 2022, 05:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

In my rather short collecting history, I have gone through several different shelf setups. I don't mean shifting figures around, but rather actual different shelves. Currently, I am using some white IKEA shelves, and have recently bought clear ones to display my figures better near my bed. So far, this has been my best, however, this was not always my only shelf setup.
I have had plain wood shelves, counters, boxes, cabinets, and much more!

Those of you who have moved your figures through various shelves, which setup has worked the best?
An oversized house cat.

bmathison1972

I use IKEA Billy/Oxberg system with glass-front doors.

EDIT: and then I use acrylic raisers and/or shelves to create additional space or to elevate figures towards the back of the shelves.

Dusty Wren

I just got an IKEA Rudsta for my figures. With some acrylic risers, it makes a handsome display case. I'm hoping to rig up some LEDs in there eventually, since the figures in the back tend to get lost in shadow.
Check out my customs thread!

Dinoguy2

This setup was probably the best I found in terms of maximizing use of space without it feeling too cluttered for me. I did eventually ditch the tier display of minis in the Invicta section to make it more clean and focused on just that collection.

https://youtu.be/sQyMnU8L0Gk
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Duna

Ikea Detolf cabinet (with extra shelves) and Ikea Besta with glass doors. 

Lynx

Might get some IKEA glass shelves then, it seems y'all have had a good experience with em.
An oversized house cat.

Gwangi

I have this shelf that my wife picked up at a garage sale. It has worked well for over 8 years. I like that tails and necks can stick out of the sides. My entire collection used to be on it, now it's just Jurassic Park and Tyco stuff.

Now the bulk of my collection is in this thing and I absolutely love it. My wife got this one too, at an antique store. The figures are safe from cats and children, remain relatively dust-free, and are nicely displayed under lighting. There's no going back.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Holy cow avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi ! ,,This thing" is incredibly gorgeous - it's kind of a mini museum for your figures. The antique style and the fact that you can have a walk around your figures make it so cool! Even though I wouldn't have any space to display this, I am jealous   ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on April 08, 2022, 04:37:16 PM
Holy cow avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi ! ,,This thing" is incredibly gorgeous - it's kind of a mini museum for your figures. The antique style and the fact that you can have a walk around your figures make it so cool! Even though I wouldn't have any space to display this, I am jealous   ;)

Oh man, I should have seen this coming because of what happened in my collection thread. The cabinet has a flat back and is up against a wall. The back is also a mirror. It gives the illusion that it's larger than it actually is and that it's a walk-around but it is not. Still a beautiful piece of furniture though.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Oh ok  ;D ;D my bad. But I still agree, it doesn't make it any less beautiful

Mellow Stego

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi has the right idea. That shelf is gorgeous!

I always recommend going to antique stores to find beautiful shelves at great prices.

Here's a couple of mine.

This one is my wife's but it's still kinda messy after our move, sorry.

They both light up and make for great house decor. Which is a plus.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

SBell

I'm going to be lazy since these shelves are still in use, although they've now moved to a different room and are set up completely differently. I just copied them over from this thread from, like 8 years ago. http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1985.120

And I have one other glass Ikea cabinet from another long-gone line that just got added.

I'm honestly surprised these photos are still active...I forgot about my Dropbox account.

Quote from: SBell on January 12, 2014, 11:25:29 PM
Ikea lovely series called BestA, with big, wide glass doors that fit perfectly (and actually sit away from the shelves, allowing the occasional figure to stick out a little.

Even better--they come in a 8" wide shelf as well as the usual wide book shelf, and the doors still fit, and they can be wall mounted. As will be seen below (I know, show pictures already  ::)) there is a handy ledge in the room that I could use as a support (but I still wall-mounted). I highly recommend the system if you can get it.

The big book cases are a different style--I got them 6 years and they are solid wood (not the usual MDF) but the line is discontinued. If I didn't have them, I'd have totally gotten the full size Besta cases for larger figures. Apparently, money grows on trees... :P

Anyway, pictures:

Big bookcases:

Main wall of cabinets (note that these ones also have top extensions on them, which also have doors that fit! Brilliant series, I have to say):

Right of Window:

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.