News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What do you define "serious collecting" as.

Started by Stegotyranno420, February 08, 2022, 04:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

I'd come out as around Level 4 on the new list.

Crackington

I find the hobby fascinating, as for many people categorising their collections in different ways seems to play an important role. I guess it's a natural progression to categorise fellow collectors!

However, I'm not sure where I fit in the scale as my collecting habits and tastes have changed in the last few years towards vintage models, books, fossils and curios. Wonder if there's a sub category for a historical prehistoric collector?

Concavenator

According to the first checklist, I scored 5/10. On to the second one, I'd be Level 3.

In my opinion, I would define "serious collecting" as easily as commitment. As easy as that.

Bowhead Whale

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on March 23, 2022, 07:07:59 AM
Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on March 22, 2022, 02:01:39 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on March 21, 2022, 08:30:52 PMSadly I score only 2 by these criteria.  Only 1 on further reflection, as I don't think I would actually qualify for point 10.  I think there have to be other ways of defining "serious"!

Oh definitely.

Honestly though, IMO there's definitely levels of how devoted one can be to this hobby. It's one thing to simply like dinosaurs. And of course, there's nothing wrong with that within itself. Instead of using terms like "beginner" and "advanced," etc., I like to think of it like Levels. Because one may stay at one level for some time, and occasionally go through periods of going down a level. We all vary in our preferences and budget.

Level 1 - the "mild" dinosaur enthusiast, you may own a Jurassic Park t-shirt, one of those coffee mugs that turn the dinosaurs into skeletons when hot liquid is poured in; probably hung on to a few Carnegie or Safari figures from your childhood or even a Dino-Riders or vintage JP toy, and perhaps a few dino-themed knickknacks. You likely don't spend a lot of time searching for figures, merely picking one up whenever it catches your eye.

Level 2 - the "average/intermediate" collector, you target more specific items, like snagging a Safari Ltd figure every time you visit a museum or T-Rex Cafe, or specifically keeping an eye out at flea markets and yard sales, and saving up for the more highly sought figures when they reach the right price on Amazon.

Level 3 - the "serious/dedicated" collector, you definitely are paying attention to things like shelf space, scientific accuracy, particular size scales, specific geological formations, etc. You know what you like and you don't just buy any figure that you come across. You probably have at least one nice display case or cabinet in a prominent spot in your residence devoted to your figures. You may start venturing into repainting some figures or pay someone to do so. You may even dabble in creating your own figures for 3D printing.

Level 4 - the "high roller" collector, you don't hesitate to purchase high-dollar items if they are on your wishlist.  You may have your own establishment social media platform, for showcasing or reviewing figures, and possibly a regular contributor to the DTB. You likely have a large or multiple display cases in your home. You possibly have sculpt, model or painting figures professionally.

Level 5 - the "crazy" collector,  your property is overrun with dinosaurs. We're talking life-sized sculptures and models in the yard, signs for Dinosaur crossing, etc. Maybe even charge admission! You may even make your large sculptures. You probably are in a bidding war to purchase a used animatronic from Jurassic Quest or some similar venue.

..not to mention   Level 6 - the "John Hammond"  : you have your own Natural History Museum or your personal Dinosaurs Park on a remote island (with living creatures on it) ....     ;D  ;)

:)

From that diorama, I understand I'm a "Level 3" collector. I collect specific companies as well as specific periods of production (1980's dinosaur toys by Soma, Imperial and Dor Mei, for example, in my case) as well as 1970's Starlux. I do have recent models of weird or not-so-well-known species, but the main part of my collection is made of prehistory toys produced before year 2000.

Ludodactylus

6/10 on the checklist, and probably a level 3 on the scale (maybe a 2.8 at the lowest). Not bad!
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

bmathison1972

I think I am Level 5 with animal figures but Level 2 for dinos LOL.

I would define 'serious' as one's individual passion. If you are strict with quality and scale, you might not have many figures, but still be considered serious.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Halichoeres

Like most binaries divided by a threshold, we can adapt George Carlin's criterion for highway driving. Anyone who devotes less space, time, or money to the hobby than I do is a flighty dilettante, and anyone who devotes more than I do is an obsessive who has allowed the hobby to take over their life.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.