News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tips to Display Certain Figures

Started by Concavenator, January 21, 2022, 11:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Hi!

There are some figures that are genuinely hard to pose on the shelf, like figures of flying pterosaurs, some marine reptiles or some birdy theropods with their wings splayed. In my case, it's the Safari Microraptor that's giving me this little issue. I love it so much but it's just so wide! It alone takes a good portion of the shelf, and that's why I wanted to ask you guys which ways do you think are efficient for this sort of situation.

Grimbeard

I have faced a similar issue with my palaezooic marine figures last year. The solution I use right now is this:

I display my main figures in a shelf with several wooden compartments. I have pushed some pushpins into the board (but not completly in) above the compartment at the position I wanted the figures to be posed. I thank used black yarn (I'm sure transparent yarn might work even better) and knot it around the front and back of the figures. Make sure to have yarn go up at the top of the figure, you can use different lenghts of yarn to have a tilted pose (which IMO looks much better for marine figures). Knot the other end of the yarn around the pushpin and then hammer/push them in completely. This way, the figure are floating freely in the compartment and use the height of the display place more effectively.

Another good way to give each figure its proper display space are plattform. You could use natural elements like rocks or branches or use more simplistic elements like bricks or plastic boxes.

I hope this helps.

Concavenator

Thank you!

For now I think I'd rather get a platform, but the hanging Dunkleosteus and Anomalocaris are looking nice!

Mellow Stego

Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Bread

Quote from: Mellow Stego on January 24, 2022, 02:44:17 AM
Something like this perhaps?

I love these depending on the quality of them. I've ordered from a few sellers on Aliexpress, whereas some could be stiff and others could be loose with the rod staying in place on the stand. Another issue was the joints in the rod, can easily be broken especially when moved around quite often; however, again depends on the quality itself. In general these can be a hit or a miss and depends on the overall quality to really enjoy them. I really don't think I could even recommend a certain brand for these, maybe others can. I have ordered from multiple sellers on Aliexpress in bulk as they can very cheap there, maybe a handful have lasted me over time though.

Halichoeres

I have used a lot of different solutions, like the action figure stands above, or baseball stands, and my CollectA Pliosaurus lives on a candlestick I found on clearance:

Not the most elegant solution, but not as obtrusive as I thought it might be.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

What is the little green guy front and center?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Kapitaenosavrvs

I have build Bases for all my Figures, that swim or fly, because i can't stand (lel) having them laying on a shelf. Maybe not the best "tip", because that maybe means drilling holes in your Figures :)

There is a possebility to use rocks, or just stuff you think looks fitting, but thats up to you i guess. For me, it is sadly not working that great. But it is better than just have them laying around.

RobinGoodfellow

BlueKrono

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on October 04, 2022, 07:01:36 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on October 03, 2022, 08:59:07 PMWhat is the little green guy front and center?

Maybe it could be this one:

https://flic.kr/p/2jW6L4L

Looks like it, or a knockoff there of. I though it had a brown body. Did they make it in two colors?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Yeah, it's the PNSO Dakosaurus, specifically this copy:

I think the reason it looks green in the other photo is just the angle. Its flanks and belly are more tan, and the tail and back are greener.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

SidB

Quote from: Grimbeard on January 21, 2022, 11:35:48 PMI have faced a similar issue with my palaezooic marine figures last year. The solution I use right now is this:

I display my main figures in a shelf with several wooden compartments. I have pushed some pushpins into the board (but not completly in) above the compartment at the position I wanted the figures to be posed. I thank used black yarn (I'm sure transparent yarn might work even better) and knot it around the front and back of the figures. Make sure to have yarn go up at the top of the figure, you can use different lenghts of yarn to have a tilted pose (which IMO looks much better for marine figures). Knot the other end of the yarn around the pushpin and then hammer/push them in completely. This way, the figure are floating freely in the compartment and use the height of the display place more effectively.

Another good way to give each figure its proper display space are plattform. You could use natural elements like rocks or branches or use more simplistic elements like bricks or plastic boxes.

I hope this helps.
I've been following this thread with some real interest for a while, since I've been weighing how to best display my marine animals for some time, specifically my Safaris and Carnegie Safaris. I don't want to lay them on a shelf, neither do I want to use a visually cumbersome support mechanism. Instead, I want to suspend them below a high display shelf, the top of which currently holds the bulk of my Safari collection and runs about a foot below the intersection of the ceiling and the walls of a hallway, quite visable, but just out of touch. avatar_Grimbeard @Grimbeard 's approach using low visability thread and very small supporting hooks above may be the solution to my problem.

Halichoeres

Yeah, I used to have some pterosaurs suspended by thread, it looks good and takes up less space. I've just been to lazy to do it again.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.