News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Why did armored Sauropods evolve?

Started by andrewsaurus rex, October 11, 2022, 05:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

Sauropods with armour on their backs puzzle me.  Why did they evolve?  They were so tall that most predators couldn't reach their backs and were more likely to go after their legs and flanks, which were generally unarmoured.   Was the armour more for show than defense?

stargatedalek

No predator that could only reach the flanks was attacking a sauropod. That is just suicide.

Predators would have targeted young animals (which there would have been a lot of). So the armor most likely just carried over into adulthood.

That or it was used in intraspecific combat with other sauropods.

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: andrewsaurus on October 11, 2022, 05:02:38 AMThey were so tall that most predators couldn't reach their backs.

QuoteNo predator that could only reach the flanks was attacking a sauropod.

No predator we know of. Probably a Longshot but there may be some titanic carnivore we haven't discovered yet that could take on an adult titanosaur.

andrewsaurus rex

yes I was wondering about that.....something yet undiscovered.   As I said in the other thread I started, there must have been some keystone predator keeping the sauropod populations in check.

Dusty Wren

You don't need a huge predator to keep a sauropod population in check, though. Smaller predators that prey on young sauropods and keep them from reaching adulthood are more than enough. Especially since, if I'm remembering this correctly, sauropods aren't known for providing parental care.
Check out my customs thread!

andrewsaurus rex

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on October 11, 2022, 03:26:29 PM
Quote from: andrewsaurus on October 11, 2022, 05:02:38 AMThey were so tall that most predators couldn't reach their backs.

QuoteNo predator that could only reach the flanks was attacking a sauropod.

No predator we know of. Probably a Longshot but there may be some titanic carnivore we haven't discovered yet that could take on an adult titanosaur.
No
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

irimali

I remember reading (sorry that I can't recall where off the top of my head) that sauropod osteoderms may have been more densely packed on the backs of babies and juveniles, and then became more spaced out as the animals grew.  Not sure if there was direct evidence or it was a hypothesis.  I believe there was evidence that adults were regularly absorbing and redepositing bone within their osteoderms, so adults may have hung on to them more as a calcium reservoir than for protection.   

Halichoeres

Yeah, a calcium reservoir would be particularly useful to an egg-layer with pneumatized bone. The original function of bone in primitive fishes was probably mineral storage, but it turned out later to be useful as armor and muscle anchor.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.