News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Geoworld 2014 and Beyond - Access to the range in the UK and Ireland

Started by Everything_Dinosaur, July 30, 2014, 01:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Everything_Dinosaur

We have been monitoring the situation with Geoworld "Jurassic Hunters" range since they first came out back in 2012.  Everything Dinosaur (based UK) could perhaps bring in to our mail order company all the Jurassic Hunters models including the Sea Monsters range and the new prehistoric mammals (all 18 figures).  We have been talking things over with our Italian chums about this.

We have noted the feedback from forum members and we do appreciate all the comments that have been posted.  We have not seen these models in the flesh, so it is quite hard to judge their quality and we do appreciate some of the "palaeontology fact cards" are a little inaccurate, but what do forum members think of this range?
Should be bring this range into our company and begin to work closer with Geoworld, what do fellow collectors think?

Our thanks to everyone for their input.

Ikessauro

I would buy the mammals right away. To be honest, I haven't bought any Geoworld because it's been hard to find them for sale on a shop that agrees to ship worldwide.

Takama

I have all of the Dinosaurs.  And I think that not enough people give this line a chance. There are so many interesting species to choose from, eve an small ones that other company's are afraid to produce.

Bring this line into your shop, I love this line, and im sure others will too.

tyrantqueen

QuoteShould be bring this range into our company and begin to work closer with Geoworld, what do fellow collectors think?
No thanks.

Concavenator

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 30, 2014, 06:31:40 PM
QuoteShould be bring this range into our company and begin to work closer with Geoworld, what do fellow collectors think?
No thanks.
Agreed.

Megalosaurus

I don't like most of this line. A few of their models are nice.
I'm only interested in their prehistoric mammals because we all know how rare are toys of such creatures.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Patrx

Quote from: Concavenator on July 30, 2014, 06:44:16 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 30, 2014, 06:31:40 PM
No thanks.
Agreed.
Me, too. They're really quite ugly.

Gwangi

I live in the U.S. so I already have access to them but I don't buy them anyway. Sure, there are a lot to choose from but honestly, only a few are really worth getting. It would seem their business model is quantity over quality. Also they claim to be paleontologist approved but if they are the paleontologist on staff must study marine invertebrates or something, certainly not dinosaurs. The fact that they would claim accuracy and yet fail so terribly is something I look down upon. 

deanm

They are not my personal cup of tea - as my focus is on pterosaurs - I would say "yes carry them - if it is a match for your business model". 

While I do agree with the general consensus that the figures are somewhat lacking (whether it be the sculpting, painting or fact sheet) that should be counterbalanced against the diversity of figures plus their price.  People find them affordable relative to some other lines (sorry Papo figures are just too expensive for what they are).  Maybe in time Geoworld will improve it's quality - or not (but that remains to be seen).

You know your business model best (customer base etc) - so while a few members here would not partake of Geoworld - what would the rest of your customer base do?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Takama on July 30, 2014, 06:13:29 PM
I have all of the Dinosaurs.  And I think that not enough people give this line a chance. There are so many interesting species to choose from, eve an small ones that other company's are afraid to produce.

Bring this line into your shop, I love this line, and im sure others will too.

And here's Takama's review of the Velociraptor from this line.
http://dinotoyblog.com/2014/02/19/velociraptor-jurassic-hunters-by-geoworld/

I added a note to the review because I had some concerns about whether the line is really "palaeontologist approved" or not.

tyrantqueen

You should consider stocking the Favorite Ltd. models. They are actually worth the money, unlike Geoworld.

deanm

I do agree that the Favorite are a better quality/scientific figure but I go back to my original question. Who is your customer base? What do they want. If it is forum members then listen to them but if the bulk of your customer base is parents buying toys then they will have a different perception. Forum members in general have a higher standard than the regular public.  As a forum member I have one set of purchasing criteria but as a parent my other criteria are very different.

It bears in keeping in mind that a lot of the members here are iconoclasts with little tolerance for specific brands if it does not meet there specific needs/wants/desires/demands.  It is not that they are wrong or right it is just their opinion. Like everything else we live in a world of greys where we all can have different opinions on the same matter.

My 0.02$....  Nuff said.  :)

stargatedalek

Geoworld may have a few nice figures amongst them, but the majority are mediocre at best

I can't speak as a parent, but as an older relative I would much rather buy my cousins Safari ltd. than Geoworld any day, they are in a similar price range and they average much higher in quality

I'm neither for nor against the decision to stock them, but I do regress there are other higher end figures available so I personally would not be purchasing any Geoworld

Alexxitator

Their fleshed out models mostly give me the "meh-effect", however their excavation kits have some nice pieces in their ranks.

Like this one, wich imho isn't all that bad. Do note I don't have it in my collection, so the picture may be better than the real thing.

To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

amargasaurus cazaui

I think Deanm Summed it best when stated go by what your business model demands. I myself enjoy some of these figures and find it silly people spend so much wrath against them but will turn around and purchase a Chaos effect Jurassic Park or Battle damage Raptor, etc. Consider many of the lines that are regularly collected within the forum, wether Definitely Dinos, Dino-Riders, and so many others that are just as poorly designed and inaccurate. I do however wish the Geo_world line would drop any pretense, as Gwangi mentioned, of being Paleo anything approved. I view the line as caricatures of the actual species and for the price, they are somewhat amusing.A dinosaur figure does not have to be perfect to be enjoyed, collected or loved by a child, but it does have to be availible to them.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Takama

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 31, 2014, 08:26:37 AM
I think Deanm Summed it best when stated go by what your business model demands. I myself enjoy some of these figures and find it silly people spend so much wrath against them but will turn around and purchase a Chaos effect Jurassic Park or Battle damage Raptor, etc. Consider many of the lines that are regularly collected within the forum, wether Definitely Dinos, Dino-Riders, and so many others that are just as poorly designed and inaccurate. I do however wish the Geo_world line would drop any pretense, as Gwangi mentioned, of being Paleo anything approved. I view the line as caricatures of the actual species and for the price, they are somewhat amusing.A dinosaur figure does not have to be perfect to be enjoyed, collected or loved by a child, but it does have to be availible to them.

I wish this Forum had a Like System (like on Facebook), were you can like other peoples posts.   Because this one post would get a like from me

Everything_Dinosaur

Thanks to everyone for their input on this topic, we really appreciate the comments and views.  We have a very wide and diverse customer base and we are taking on board views from a number of sources.  We value everyone's opinions.

Cammy

I've bought a few Geoworld products from time to time from my local Australian Geographic Shop. I have a replica Allosaurus tooth which I always keep in my handbag, and my partner has one of their replica Deinonychus claw which he keeps in his pocket as an emergency topic of conversation in case he's ever stuck in a tree overnight with some kids. I also have a big Albertosaurus claw replica, the Jurassic Hunters Velociraptor and Tyrannosaurus Rex, and the Jurassic Action Edmontosaurus. I think all of these toys are top quality and I'm very proud to own them (in fact I would own more but the shops have started selling out just as I have taken more of an interest in collecting dinosaur stuff). While I'm not inclined to try and purchase the entire range, I'm impressed with what I have seen so far and am curious to see what else Geoworld brings out in the future.

One thing that disappointed me about the Jurassic Action figures is due to the open-window packaging, most of the ones that were left in Toys R Us where I bought my Edmontosaurus had a limb or jaw pulled off by some brat, so I bought the only one left with all its body parts. Of course I doubt you guys would suffer from the same problem, so it would be nice to have an option to purchase these toys from an online retailer where the kids haven't had their grubby hands all over them first.

Everything_Dinosaur

Thanks for your input, love the idea of having a Theropod tooth and replica Deinonychus claw close to hand in case of emergencies, sounds like a very sensible plan.  We may have to adopt this idea ourselves.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.