You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Where are the Columbian Mammoth toys?

Started by crazy8wizard, August 16, 2023, 02:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy8wizard

After working in a museum gift shop for a while I've noticed something that completely baffled me. Despite being larger and having a very wide distribution, no company has made a mass produced Columbian Mammoth toy of any variety. There are a few customs, bronze sculptures, and resin kits that can get really expensive but not much else. I can see Eofauna or CollectA making one but what do you all think?

Over9K

The entire reason I'm collecting EoFauna's proboscideans is the eventual Columbian Mammoth...

Faelrin

I have been wanting a figure of a Columbian mammoth for years now. It would be great to have one in a similar scale to the American Mastodon figure Safari Ltd made.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dusty Wren

Yeah, I'm confused by this, too. I would have thought for sure that Eofauna or CollectA would have made one by now. I've got the gorgeous skeletal from Wonder Artistic Models and I want a figure to display with it.
Check out my customs thread!

crazy8wizard

I especially want a company to make an affordable model because the premier fossil at the museum I work at has a bunch of pathologies and I don't want to mess up an expensive model to make a custom of it.

Crackington

Excellent suggestion - and I'd love to see a prehistoric elephants toob for those of us with little space.

Newt

Proboscideans in general are poorly represented beyond woolly mammoths. Thank goodness for Eofauna. I kind of wish they'd stick to proboscideans and leave the dinosaurs to the other companies. I have a hunch that they wish they could do that too, but I guess the market isn't cooperating with them.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I think prehistoric mammals are underrepresented in general, especially considering how much space they occupy in museums. A Columbian mammoth from Safari or Papo would be great if their modern elephants are anything to go by.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Newt on August 16, 2023, 12:17:10 PMProboscideans in general are poorly represented beyond woolly mammoths. Thank goodness for Eofauna. I kind of wish they'd stick to proboscideans and leave the dinosaurs to the other companies. I have a hunch that they wish they could do that too, but I guess the market isn't cooperating with them.

If the relative numbers of people who mark their dinosaur vs. proboscideans figures as "I own this" on dinotoycollector are anything to go by, I'd say you're right.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

This isn't quite a toy, but  more affordable than a resin kit: the one from Ancestors Models

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Hate to say it, but I find mammoths the most boring of all the prehistoric proboscideans. I much prefer weirder ones like Platybelodon and Stegotetrabelodon.

Although I would make an exception for the adorable pygmy mammoth, which evolved directly from the Colombian mammoth. I would love a toy of that one from CollectA or Safari.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.