News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Do we have any modern "Deinocheirus situations "

Started by Stegotyranno420, December 02, 2023, 11:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Remember when the whole appearance of Deinocheirus was mostly unknown, save for some giant arms? So many books depicted it as an extraneously large carnosaur?

Do we have any similar scenarios today where we only have evidence of the body that would lead extreme or bizarre conclusions similar to those mentioned?

Perotorum

We kind of had the opposite with barnacle geese, due to seasonal migrations to breed, medieval Europeans assumed they hatched from barnacles, which gave them their name, turns out they are standard vanilla geese.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Splonkadumpocus

Libraraptor

I remember me as a child being amazed by those gigantic arms! I always had thought that Deinicheirus would become the champion, the goat of carnosaurs. Turned out I love the recent version even more :)

As to your question, nothing specifical comes to my mind. At the moment  I am not that much into the latest state of palaeontology.

Concavenator

Deltadromeus and Therizinosaurus come to mind.

GojiraGuy1954

Spinosaurus redescription was a year after Deinocheirus
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Papi-Anon

Barinasuchus is only known by the front half or so of its snout.

The recently discovered basilosaurid Perucetus is only known from some vertebrae and ribs.

Livyatan is only known from a single skull and maybe some younger teeth.

Then there's Tullimonstrum which we have what seems to be the whole body with multiple specimens but it's still baffling us on what living heck it officially should be classified as!
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Deltadromeus and Gualicho come to mind immediately, but really all of megaraptora and elaphrosauridae are quite mysterious.

Pliosaurking

Megalodon is still quite mysterious, as are many prehistoric sharks due to their cartilaginous skeletons not preserving.

stargatedalek

Nanuqsaurus

First thing that came to my mind was the Dunk that got shrunk recently! And from what I understand those are estimates based on related species, as we only know Dunkleosteus from the skull.

DerbesSchuhwerk

I recently stumbled over this genus. Genyodectes. There is not much known here, though its believed to be some sort of Ceratosaur.
I'd say, the reconstruction attempts are highly speculative in every way and there is potential for surprises, if once more material will be found and described.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genyodectes

Duna

Quote from: Libraraptor on December 03, 2023, 07:46:14 AMI remember me as a child being amazed by those gigantic arms! I always had thought that Deinicheirus would become the champion, the goat of carnosaurs. Turned out I love the recent version even more :)
That's a coincidence. I've just told (yesterday!) my 7 year old daughters all about the Deinocheirus's arms. I even showed the picture in the dinosaur encyclopaedia in of the arms (being mounted but not on display) and how much, as a 10 year old, I wondered of if the rest of the fossil would be going to be found someday. They were all thrilled to imagine how I felt in that time. In my book they just considered it to be a gigantic ornithomimosauridae, so they were right, but they never guessed the bump.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.