News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Anatomical Terms

Started by Pachyrhinosaurus, June 04, 2012, 10:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

After reading some of the forums, I decided that a thread like this would be useful to all members here. I'll start off.
Epoccipital=The spikes or bumps on the outside of a ceratopsid's frill
Patagium=Skin flaps which form a wing or winglike structure.
Propatagium=Pterosaur patagium which runs from wrist to shoulder
Brachiopatagium=Pterosaur patagium stretching from the fourth finger to the hind legs
Nasal horn=Horn on the nasal area of a ceratopsid (paleoferroequine)
Postorbital horn=The horn above the eye (orbital) on a ceratopsid (paleoferroequine)
Parietosquasmosal frill=Bony margin on the head of a ceratopsian (paleoferroequine)
Squasmosals=Outer bones on a ceratopsid frill (paleoferroequine)
Parietal=Center bones of a ceratopsid frill (paleoferroequine)
Episquamosals=Epoccipitals on the outer edge of a ceratopsid frill (paleoferroequine)
Epiparietals=Epoccipitals on the top edge of a ceratopsid frill (paleoferroequine)
Thagomizer=Spikes found at the end of a stegosaur tail (Zopteryx)

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Seijun

Is there a technical term for ceratopsian nasal and brow horns?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Seijun on June 04, 2012, 10:36:53 PM
Not that I know of. I was actually looking for the technical term for ceratopsian frills.
Save Dinoland USA!

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Seijun on June 04, 2012, 10:36:53 PM
Nasal horn and postorbital horn.
The frill is the parietosquasmosal frill. Simply put the squasmosals are the outer bones and the parietal is in the center. I hope. :P
The epoccipitals are broken down as episquamosals (outer edge)and epiparietals(top edge)

ZoPteryx

Thagomizer:  Informal term for the tail spikes of stegosaurs ^-^

Pachyrhinosaurus

I added all the terms to the original post, giving credit to the poster.
Save Dinoland USA!

Takama

Quote from: Zopteryx on June 05, 2012, 05:13:35 AM
Thagomizer:  Informal term for the tail spikes of stegosaurs ^-^

Yet it was used in Planet Dinosaur

Eriorguez

And IIRC in formal literature as well.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.