News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How do you display your dinosaurs?

Started by kreativtek, January 19, 2015, 10:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinomike

I display my collection so that I choose the models I like at that very moment. Some models like my Battats I do display at all times as I consider them too awesome to be stored away. Some models I keep in a box - I consider myself t he curator of my very own museum so I get to choose what the audience (that would be my wife and kids) get to see. It also keeps the collection fresh looking.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: kreativtek on January 20, 2015, 07:48:56 AM
Arranging dinosaurs in a diorama sounds great, but I like to keep things minimal and display them on a bare shelf. I put all my figures in a glassed-in cabinet in the corner of my living room and I do not want them to stand out too much. Where from do you get the plants for your dioramas?

@Meso-Cenozoic, I absolutely your little display. The dinosaurs may not have enough air to breathe (ha ha!), but there are so many of them in there that I simply cannot help but admire how wonderful models they are.

If you were to add two rather small dinosaurs to your collections, how would single them out without ruining your current arrangements? I am open for ideas, because I simply cannot wrap my head around it. I want to have a maximum of three figures on one shelf, but they're all much bigger than the new ones (except for the Papo Velociraptor which is continuously moving from one shelf to the other).

So sorry, kreativtek, I just now spotted your response. :-[
I'm assuming you meant "I absolutely [love] your little display." Hehe! And you're right, not too much oxygen to share amongst them. :P I have managed to place quite a bit more figures up in those areas since that pic was taken in 2010. But alas, I have finally run out of new ideas how to fit anymore. I stopped putting out new figures after 2012. I still have all my 2013 and 2014 figures in boxes, along with a few now from 2015. I bet I'm storing about half as many as the ones you see out. But I'm not too worried. I don't have too much longer to wait to be able to display them all again after I move this coming June. I will then have more display room to play with in my new space. Realistically, I imagine that eventually I will have to do what Dinomike does because I know I will eventually run out of room to display all of my collection in my new space as well. But hopefully that will be many years to come before I have to start thinking in that direction!

My plants I have in my displays are mostly from my aquariums when they were still being used for live tropical fish. And some others are just some silk and plastic plants I picked up for cheap at craft stores along the way. Except for my actual prehistoric tree and plant life I've started to collect more recently from the popular dino toy companies, most all of my foliage is far from being correct from their proper Mesozoic periods, or for that matter, ANY prehistoric period! LOL! I just like to give some areas some life and a bit of something for the herbivores to munch on. ;D

I wish you much luck in creating your own displays. I started my collecting many years ago and it wasn't that difficult to think about how to display them then because I started out with more space than prehistoric life. Now it's the other way around! :o Even though I like them displayed right out in the open, there is the dust problem to deal with. I would love to eventually put them in nice glass display cases like the beautiful one Pachyrhinosaurus posted. But I would need a lot of them! It could get pretty costly. And they too take up a fair amount of space. I'll still probably end up getting a nice case or two for my favorites and/or more rare figures.

amargasaurus cazaui

It is just me and rodent infestation known as a cat, so I am free to muck about as I choose...but I insist on having all, each and every single one, of my dinosaurs on display. I did not buy them to store in boxes, the retailer can do that. I bought them to look at and I do...which means they are everywhere and beyond...because I collect not only models and dinosaur figures, but I am also heavily into basal ceratopsians and dinosaur bones, spheres, fossils, comics, autographs, transformers, yeah you get the idea. The living room looks more like a museum than a home.....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

laticauda

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 23, 2015, 07:46:30 AM
It is just me and rodent infestation known as a cat, so I am free to muck about as I choose...but I insist on having all, each and every single one, of my dinosaurs on display. I did not buy them to store in boxes, the retailer can do that. I bought them to look at and I do...which means they are everywhere and beyond...because I collect not only models and dinosaur figures, but I am also heavily into basal ceratopsians and dinosaur bones, spheres, fossils, comics, autographs, transformers, yeah you get the idea. The living room looks more like a museum than a home.....

I think most, if not all of us want to have all our dinosaurs on display, alas their are reasons each of us have to have some in storage.  :(  I could easily turn 1 or 2 rooms into a musuem at this point and still have things in storage.  So until I have more space to put things, I have to keep it in a rotation.  Someday they will all be diplayed, someday.......

Concavenator

Patrx

I display mine on a large bookcase, loosely by phylogenetic placement:
tyrannosauroids,
non-dinosaur, non-mammalian animals,
maniraptorans,
ceratopsians,
other assorted ornithischians,
other theropods (and Eoraptor, which might not be a theropod proper)
hadrosaurs (and Ouranosaurus, which just fits in better there)
sauropods
mammals

On a separate shelf, I have movie and TV dinosaurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTr14chj86g

I'd very much like to get more space - I dislike having the figures so crowded together. What I'd love to do is give each genus its own space and provide some printed information, like a miniature museum.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.