News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How do you display your dinosaurs?

Started by kreativtek, January 19, 2015, 10:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kreativtek

Hello guys,

I will be getting two exciting new dinosaurs in a couple of days, which means that I will have to rearrange my collection to make some space for them on the shelf. It is not large by any means, but I am having a surprisingly hard time trying to find the right place for each and every model.

It got me wondering, how do you - whose collections are probably much bigger than mine - display them? Do you have any favourite orders like species, size, colour, or period? I, for one, like to create simple scenarios and design interactions between the dinosaurs. For example, my Papo Spinosaurus roars at the Parasaurolophus on one shelf, while the Stegosaurus wags its spiked tail in hopes of scaring away the hungry T-rex on the other.

PS: If such thread already exists, I apologize and ask to have this one removed.

Megalosaurus

I love to do the thing:
Scary dino + scared dino.

I try to mantain consistency in scale to certain degree, But I'm flexible on that, all from 1:35 to 1:40 is together for me.

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

CityRaptor

Guess you can always claim that one is a big or small specimen.

Currently my collection is organized by brand. No diorama scenes.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoLord

Well I'm a bit shamed to admit my collection is starting to burgeon past the space I have for it. But in my original organization I had a shelf with theropods on one side and ornithischians on the other, one for sauropods, one for non-dinosaur extinct species, and two for Jurassic Park toys. I've since then added several shelves devoted to my collection of Dinotales and other Japanese figures, a Battat shelf, and a counter-top with some 1:20 figures.

Paleogene Pals

I just display mine however I can fit them with the space I have. I do maintain consistency in scale, 1:18 to 1:22, in order to have a size comparison. Of course, individuals do vary greatly in size which does give me some leeway, scale wise.

SBell

I do things like this:

Because I pretty much have to fit things where I can. Despite having a room full of cabinets.

deanm

i used to have a series of varathaned pine shelves that I put on the wall (were about 6 inches deep) and spaced about 7 inches apart (height-wise). Worked quite well - until I moved of course so I then had to pack everything up. Now I am in the process of figuring out what kind of shelves I will build in the new space.

My current design concept if for a shallow bookcase style with doors - very similar to what sbell has (though I will suggest that he was smarter than me - he bought his from IKEA - I'm gonna build my own...  silly deanm...)

My collection was sorted predominantly by toy line for the non-pterosaurs.  For the pterosaurs - well they had their own special section (all 300 or so of them).

Arul

i only buy a figure to make it into a diorama  :) if i dont have an idea for how to make it into a diorama i dont buy it because its gonna be vey extravagant because actually i love so many dinosaur figure..

Takama

I divide my figures by brand and i have them in diffrent places.   For instance, My Safaris are in a curio, and my Geoworlds are cluttering two shelves

Pachyrhinosaurus

Right now, I have a Carnegie mountain on a TV cabinet, and a long shelf, half the length of the room, where I have Wild Safaris and Battats in chronological order. All my other dinosaurs (Papo, etc.) are currently in storage due to lack of shelf space. I do plan to eventually purchase one of these:

for more detailed toys, resin kits and fossils.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

tyrantqueen

At the moment I just cram them onto a shelf wherever they can fit.

I wish I had a big cabinet to protect them from dust :-\

Meso-Cenozoic

Mine are kind of mixed. But mostly they're in little diorama-like settings. I realized when looking for a recent pic of my whole collection, I haven't taken a pic since 2010! :(  There are probably another 200 or so since this pic. Plus, a lot of my newer figures aren't out yet because I'm moving this Spring/early Summer. So I'll have much more shelf room to play with in my new room. :)  And I'll have a separate 10 gallon fish tank for just my prehistoric sea life. The big 55 gallon tank will change too. I want to do a shore/beach scene in it with the "crocs" at the water's edge and different fauna coming from all around trying to get what might be their last drink. Hehe!! I also have many more prehistoric mammals now too. And they as well will have their own separate area (as will the fictional figures too ;) ).  So, I'll take an update pic this coming Summer after I'm all moved and set up.

But for now, here's that 2010 pic of most of what I had then...

And in case you're not able to see the original XL pic on my Photobucket page, here's the direct link where you can click on the magnifying glass/view image button.
http://s259.photobucket.com/user/BSistheBest/media/1CopyofDSCN2549_editedcopy_zps78e589a4.jpg.html

sauroid

i only display damaged/less than ideal condition figures (and there's not many of them in my collection). about 99% of my figures are in storage.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

laticauda

Due to lack of space, I currently have 8 by my work desk, the rest in storage.  Ebery once in a while I'll change which ones I have out.  Eventually I'll have my entire collection out. 

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: sauroid on January 20, 2015, 04:39:54 AM
i only display damaged/less than ideal condition figures (and there's not many of them in my collection). about 99% of my figures are in storage.

Oh no, no, no! That would never do in my place. Life's way too short! I want to be able to gaze upon all my dinos and imagine what it must have been like. It's killing me that I've had so many packed away in boxes getting ready for the move. I'm leaving the rest that I still do have out till the very last moment I can. ;)  Hehe!

sauroid

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on January 20, 2015, 05:29:59 AM
Quote from: sauroid on January 20, 2015, 04:39:54 AM

Oh no, no, no! That would never do in my place. Life's way too short! I want to be able to gaze upon all my dinos and imagine what it must have been like. It's killing me that I've had so many packed away in boxes getting ready for the move. I'm leaving the rest that I still do have out till the very last moment I can. ;)  Hehe!
i actually feel the same way. it's just that im still on the lookout for an almost perfect display shelves/cases that would hardly dust any of my figures. (that sounds impossible i know). my parents even told me "what's the point of having and accumulating all these figures if you dont get to see and appreciate them?".
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

kreativtek

Arranging dinosaurs in a diorama sounds great, but I like to keep things minimal and display them on a bare shelf. I put all my figures in a glassed-in cabinet in the corner of my living room and I do not want them to stand out too much. Where from do you get the plants for your dioramas?

@Meso-Cenozoic, I absolutely your little display. The dinosaurs may not have enough air to breathe (ha ha!), but there are so many of them in there that I simply cannot help but admire how wonderful models they are.

If you were to add two rather small dinosaurs to your collections, how would single them out without ruining your current arrangements? I am open for ideas, because I simply cannot wrap my head around it. I want to have a maximum of three figures on one shelf, but they're all much bigger than the new ones (except for the Papo Velociraptor which is continuously moving from one shelf to the other).

Pawnosuchus

I have a three car garage and have appropriated one side for my giant Diorama (under Collections-Pawns World 2014) I try to stay approx. 1-40 scale wise and display them in (Approx.) geological ages. I'm very lucky to have that much space and I still suffer from severe overpopulation. I sometimes pick out my favorite example of a species and whittle it down to one of each, but there are many exceptions. I've found as the collection grows, I have become more particular about what I purchase. I'd like to get EVERYTHING but it's just not realistic. (financially or spacewise). The sheer amount of good figures available has exploded in the last decade.

postsaurischian

Mine are about everywhere. The ones who stand together have to be in the same scale (I'm collecting all scales). About 70% is stored (apartment is too small). The displays are constantly changing - depends on what I like best at the moment.

Arul

Meso-cenozoic what a huge collection !!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: