News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Monsters on Dinotoyblog, yes or no?

Started by Gwangi, February 15, 2016, 04:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvanusaurus

In my view, while I wouldn't be upset or annoyed if reviews of 'monsters' were permitted, I don't see the point and I would find it kind of distracting. As a collector of general monster figures myself (mainly Godzilla and others from movies), I know of many sites that are dedicated to such figures with reviews and forums etc, so it seems a bit uneccessary to dilute the focus of this site. I don't imagine people will visit the Dino Toy Blog to look for reviews of Godzilla, dragons etc. One of the main reasons I wanted to join this community was because of it's limited focus on Dinosaurs and real prehistoric animals, and a great appeal is the aspect of learning about ancient prehistory and about the depictions of those creatures in relation to scientific knowledge.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 22, 2016, 07:19:29 PM
In my view, while I wouldn't be upset or annoyed if reviews of 'monsters' were permitted, I don't see the point and I would find it kind of distracting. As a collector of general monster figures myself (mainly Godzilla and others from movies), I know of many sites that are dedicated to such figures with reviews and forums etc, so it seems a bit uneccessary to dilute the focus of this site. I don't imagine people will visit the Dino Toy Blog to look for reviews of Godzilla, dragons etc. One of the main reasons I wanted to join this community was because of it's limited focus on Dinosaurs and real prehistoric animals, and a great appeal is the aspect of learning about ancient prehistory and about the depictions of those creatures in relation to scientific knowledge.

That's a good point. DTB has a niche, and it does quite well at it, but the kaiju are decidedly a different one, being filled quite ably by others.

As for recently extinct things, they're so rarely treated as figures that even though I don't collect them, when they pop up on the blog, I say, "Oh, that's interesting," and move on. I've never said to myself, "What the hell is this interloper doing here?" Which is a thought I briefly entertained when I saw the Indominus, but that's a bit of a special case because it's firmly embedded in a line of what are at least nominally dinosaur toys. Godzilla would be the complete inverse, a quasi-dinosaur firmly embedded in a universe of not-at-all-dinosaurs.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Takama

Ok   Apparently King Louie in the new Jungle Book film is a Gigantopithicus, and there are toys based on the characters in that film, including him.    Since he is Extinct ape that lived in REAL life (unlike the hybrids that got a pass on the blog) would a figure of him be ok for the blog?

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Takama on April 17, 2016, 01:38:40 AM
Ok   Apparently King Louie in the new Jungle Book film is a Gigantopithicus, and there are toys based on the characters in that film, including him.    Since he is Extinct ape that lived in REAL life (unlike the hybrids that got a pass on the blog) would a figure of him be ok for the blog?

That's pretty cool they used an extinct species so they could make him massive.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

AcroSauroTaurus

I think a new forum should be started, one for mythical animals (including monsters, dragons, kaiju, etc.) since we have one for modern animals and one for extinct animals, why not a forum for that final animal figure niche?
I am the Dinosaur King!

sauroid

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on April 17, 2016, 05:52:23 AM
I think a new forum should be started, one for mythical animals (including monsters, dragons, kaiju, etc.) since we have one for modern animals and one for extinct animals, why not a forum for that final animal figure niche?
i agree. they are popular enough to have their own forum. i see a lot of forums about kaiju but not dragons and other mythical/fantasy/fictional creatures and monsters.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

stargatedalek

I would stretch it to include "fictional animals" in general, I don't think just mythological figures would generate enough interest without the help of Godzilla or Star Wars.

DinoG

Would that include movie monsters like in The Thing, The Fly et al?
Run!

SBell

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on April 17, 2016, 02:05:51 AM

I think it will depend on what the figures look like. We currently include the occasional Japanese 'Mystery animal' figure that is clearly based on fossil animals (Medicom has made several, including prehistoric whales, kangaroos, megalodon, etc).

So far, there is at least one set where the character doesn't look so bad...

sauroid

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 17, 2016, 03:55:54 PM
I would stretch it to include "fictional animals" in general, I don't think just mythological figures would generate enough interest without the help of Godzilla or Star Wars.
Ditto. cryptids, alien life forms, speculative future species, etc.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

ProSauropod

As a longtime model collector (of anything I happen to like) I see this a few ways: Dinosaur Forum, as in "Dinosaurs" (and other extinct critters).  Toy, as in a lot of stuff that would never pass muster for a "Dinosaur" collector (all the JP stuff and others that are clearly TOYS).   So right there you have 2 worlds co-existing.  The "museum-quality" model of today is the toy of tomorrow.  I personally look less for accuracy than for the sculpt and pose - I like models that convey the sense of "aliveness" of a long-gone creature.  So if a Papo doesn't have the right number of toes or teeth I don't care - the figure lets me sense what the living animal could have been like.  To that end, I think this forum and the reviews could benefit from looking at some of the incredibly dynamic sculpts of a Yuji Sakai - is it really that great a leap from his Godzilla to a "real" dinosaur?  Too many theropods look like Groucho Marx; bent over and slinking about (sans cigar).  I submit the iconic Papo Allosaurus (and some of the Rebor figures) have an "aliveness" to them that conveys a living creature, regardless of accuracy.  Now if only someone would produce a Smilodon based on looking at the possibilities of a standard cat - much as I like the Knight pose there are so many other things a feline is capable of that would really set that figure apart.  Ah, but I dream ...........

Takama

Quote from: SBell on April 17, 2016, 04:32:48 PM
Quote from: Kayakasaurus on April 17, 2016, 02:05:51 AM

I think it will depend on what the figures look like. We currently include the occasional Japanese 'Mystery animal' figure that is clearly based on fossil animals (Medicom has made several, including prehistoric whales, kangaroos, megalodon, etc).

So far, there is at least one set where the character doesn't look so bad...

This is the set i was planning on getting.   If i review King Louie, should i ignore the other figures or briefly touch apon them?  (maybe i will open a thread on the ATF for the other animals, and link it in the review)

Kovu

Maybe briefly mention in the introduction that the set also includes Bagheera (a black Indian Leopard), Baloo (a Sloth Bear - even though he resembles a Himalayan Brown Bear more), Mowgli, and Shere Khan (a Bengal Tiger), however, they will not be reviewed as extant animals are outside the scope of this blog?

Btw, I'm so excited to see this movie! It looks like an artistic masterpiece!

As far as monsters on the blog, personally, I think things like the Indominus are fine. Despite being fictional, its clearly a "dinosaur" and part of a series who's main selling point is dinosaurs. Aladar, Eema, Neera and the rest of the Disney Dinosaur brigade, Patch, Scowler and Juniper from WWD, really anything that is obviously a dinosaur and/or part of a dinosaur-based film or TV series, I think belongs on the blog. Maybe, maybe the "dinosaurs" in King Kong. I don't really have an opinion or vested interest in them either way as the only King Kong film I've seen is the 2005 remake.

Godzilla and King Kong himself, monsters, kaiju (can someone please tell me what that is btw? I've seen it thrown around a few times and I'm just not sure), dragons and bigfoot and friends, not so much. Figures that are part of non-film affiliated "hybrid"-lines are also inappropriate in my opinion. The Indominus and Stegoceratops were part of a dinosaur franchise, as well as being obviously based on known species, therefore, I feel their inclusion was appropriate.

As far as recently extinct animals, I think they absolutely belong on the blog. I think they'd be an invaluable teaching lesson to show that extinction is not a strictly "prehistoric" concept, but an unfortunately ongoing phenomena. Reviews of Thylacines, Passenger Pigeons, Steller's Sea Cows and Dodos, I think, can be beneficial from a conservation standpoint by informing readers, particularly younger readers, of the consequences of humanity's environmental actions.

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Kovu on April 18, 2016, 02:03:21 AM

As far as monsters on the blog, personally, I think things like the Indominus are fine. Despite being fictional, its clearly a "dinosaur" and part of a series who's main selling point is dinosaurs. Aladar, Eema, Neera and the rest of the Disney Dinosaur brigade, Patch, Scowler and Juniper from WWD, really anything that is obviously a dinosaur and/or part of a dinosaur-based film or TV series, I think belongs on the blog. Maybe, maybe the "dinosaurs" in King Kong. I don't really have an opinion or vested interest in them either way as the only King Kong film I've seen is the 2005 remake.

Godzilla and King Kong himself, monsters, kaiju (can someone please tell me what that is btw? I've seen it thrown around a few times and I'm just not sure), dragons and bigfoot and friends, not so much. Figures that are part of non-film affiliated "hybrid"-lines are also inappropriate in my opinion. The Indominus and Stegoceratops were part of a dinosaur franchise, as well as being obviously based on known species, therefore, I feel their inclusion was appropriate.

Kaiju is the name for giant monsters, such as Godzilla, King Kong, Mothra, Gamera, Ghidorah, the monsters in Pacific Rim, etc.
I am the Dinosaur King!

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 17, 2016, 03:55:54 PM

Well, basically the new forum would be for mythical creatures, cryptids, monsters, kaiju, aliens, fictional movie/media creatures, and any other creature figures that would fit in. All we would need is a good name for it...
I am the Dinosaur King!

tyrantqueen

I say no. There are plenty of sites that cater for that audience already.

amargasaurus cazaui

the only real simple way I see adding monsters as feasible would be under a sub heading for only postings of that nature...and not sitting right alongside models of creatures known to be extinct which are often evaluated based on their own accuracy. I also would advocate a similar placement for many of the clearly child intended toys that are starting to be added into the boards....with their own grouping as well. It is....somewhat "jarring" to be examing a review for a recent Kaiyodo capsule Q set and find the next posting is a Masher set or something....I understand why they are posted, as dinosaurs, I just think they should have their own sub board or division, and monsters could as well.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Viking Spawn

Since I have a bias toward Godzilla and Kaiju in general, my vote would be yes!  They are fictional radioactive dinosaurs after all... Or at least, some of them are.  But I also feel they would need to be in their own sub-section to keep the threads away from the real dinosaurs under discussion.  My 2 cents.  ;)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.