News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A question of SCALE...

Started by DakotaDinos, March 30, 2017, 03:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DakotaDinos

What line adheres to a particular scale most faithfully? That is, what line does the best job at keeping all their figures in scale with each other?

postsaurischian

That would be Battat, Invicta and The Antediluvia Collection by David Krentz.

Takama

Quote from: DakotaDinos on March 30, 2017, 03:19:00 PM
What line adheres to a particular scale most faithfully? That is, what line does the best job at keeping all their figures in scale with each other?

Almost All lines fail to adheare to the scale they claim to to.

CollectAs So called 1:40 Scale models are all way too big, and maney of them would be a lot smaller if they actully stayed true

About the only Line Avalible now that adhears to it Perfectly is Battat

As well as InvictA, and the Antediluvia Collection as Postsaurischian said

Roselaar

I think the Invicta Troodon is a rather awkward exception tho their scale rule then.

stargatedalek

The blue whale is also a rather notable exception.

Takama

Yes i forgot about those two

Just goes to show how often Companeys adhere to the scale

Halichoeres

So far, the Australian Age of Dinosaurs line has been on scale 100% of the time, but other than that...

Several Battats (Edmontonia, Euoplocephalus, Nanshiungosaurus) are significantly larger than 1:40. Carnegies miss in both directions, but probably average slightly too large. CollectA's standard figures are more often 1:40 than their deluxe figures are.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Kayakasaurus

My Protocasts line is pretty small, but all my models are in 1:40 scale.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Mirroraptor

BlueKrono

I find it interesting how obsessed people on the DTF are with scale. I would think the fragmentariness of some fossil remains would make it more difficult to get the scale spot on than extant animals. Unknown tail vertebrae could easily add a foot or more in either direction on the bigger dinosaurs. There are often conflicting size estimates on any given species, even from the last 10 years. Only those rare species where we have a large number of specimens are we able to come up with a reliable average size of the animal.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

AcroSauroTaurus

My in-progress figure line will be 1:35.
I am the Dinosaur King!

danmalcolm

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 01, 2017, 07:39:45 AM
I find it interesting how obsessed people on the DTF are with scale. I would think the fragmentariness of some fossil remains would make it more difficult to get the scale spot on than extant animals. Unknown tail vertebrae could easily add a foot or more in either direction on the bigger dinosaurs. There are often conflicting size estimates on any given species, even from the last 10 years. Only those rare species where we have a large number of specimens are we able to come up with a reliable average size of the animal.

For me it's not really a matter of a model being exactly a certain length/scale, but I like my collection to feel like a cohesive whole. My papo brach is not technically to scale with my tyrannosaurus, a to-scale brach would be 40-45 cm tall and mine is only 32. But it looks ok, because it could be a smaller/younger specimen, and it's still significantly larger than the tyranno. A 20cm tall brach would absolutely not look or feel like it belonged with a 14cm tall tyranno. My velociraptor is 8cm long, which is on the large side compared to my other dinos, but at least it's not a 18 cm figure rivalling my carnotaurus in  size. I want each of my models to be able to stand next to the rest and not look out of place.

Jose S.M.

I'm not so obsessed with scale either, just I didn't want very out of place size differences, but I throw away any rule I have if the figure is worth it, like the new safari Tyrannosaurus and Diplodocus, they are out of scale with each other but I love them. I think I will solve the size variation problem when I have my new shelves, displaying things in a way that helps to not make so obvious the scale differences.

Halichoeres

Yeah, I like to imagine my shelves as sort of a natural history museum in miniature. So I like each shelf to be relatively cohesive, to give a sense of relative size of animals. You're right that size estimates change frequently (even different estimates of the amount of cartilage between vertebrae can really alter the length over the many centra in a sauropod), and for many things we'll never know how large they were. It still bothers me to have a 20-cm Dunkleosteus next to a 6-cm Pteraspis, though, because to me each shelf is a tiny diorama.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Takama

This is all why i was a little disapointed in the increase in size of Safaris newest models.

ITs not that the line was to scale with eachother, its just the fact we have a Tyrannosaurus that TOWERS over a Cacaradontosaurus when they should be the same size ::)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Takama on April 01, 2017, 05:19:04 PM
This is all why i was a little disapointed in the increase in size of Safaris newest models.

ITs not that the line was to scale with eachother, its just the fact we have a Tyrannosaurus that TOWERS over a Cacaradontosaurus when they should be the same size ::)

That's such a nice Carcharodontosaurus, too, I would have bought it in a heartbeat if it had been 50% larger.

sauroid

we have to bear in mind that not all specimens of the same species were exactly the same size (due to age, sexual dimorphism and position in a population i.e. alpha/omega) so minor discrepancy in scale is negligible.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: sauroid on April 02, 2017, 11:52:59 AM
we have to bear in mind that not all specimens of the same species were exactly the same size (due to age, sexual dimorphism and position in a population i.e. alpha/omega) so minor discrepancy in scale is negligible.

I want to add to this...

... not only in paleontology but also in biology about recent animals, often maximum sizes are given for certain species, though especially those maximum measurements are often enough of doubtfull source (e.g. hunting trophies) and for sure do only affect a small number of individuals within a population. Particulary in bigger species, where development of size takes a considerable longer time and a hell of a lot more ressources than in smaller species, the margin of size (lenght, height and mass) within a species is considerable.

Just an example from my own scientific work....

... the measurment given for the Australian Varanus gouldii is given in literature sources as 1.6 m. While this sure means "up to 1.6 m" it suggests, the species' individuals would usually grow up to this size. Out of more than 25 measurements of adult specimen only one individual exceeded 1 m in totla lenght, most did not even exceed 80 cm. More than 40 more specimen could be observed and their size estimated with help of landmarks (plants, stones, road signs), none of these exceeded an estimated metre in length.

There's comparably sure evidence that individual specimen may grow to peculiar sizes, however, the average size for specimen of V. gouldii is much smaller.

Dinoguy2

My problem is that companies almost always mess up by making things too big, rather than too small. Size estimates are for maximum known size and though the fossil record is in fact incomplete, the average size of these animals (I.e. the size you'd almost always encounter in the wild) would be smaller. In fact I've basically just started thinking of my 1:40 collection as 1:30 with a 1:30 scale human in there to make my display not look like it's made up of 100% Godzilla sized monsters ;)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.