News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sketch up for my first Sculpt

Started by DrunkAnteosaurus, January 22, 2024, 11:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrunkAnteosaurus

Going with the beautiful vintage look for my first ever sculpt. Heavily inspired by(i believe to be) Gold's work

Have no earasers so very rough sketch aha, and the blur is crazy cause I had to use my computer for the picture saddly

Nevertheless, anyone have any suggestions for the best type of sculpting clay/putty to use? Rn I have some air dry and oven bake(no brand names) which aren't doing the best

I'll post more for this big boi's updates(he'll be around 1/35 to 1/20)

(retrying to upload the image lol)
New to paleoart and sculpting, but really trying to learn more! If you have any requests lmk!

DrunkAnteosaurus

Quote from: DrunkAnteosaurus on January 22, 2024, 11:30:31 PMGoing with the beautiful vintage look for my first ever sculpt. Heavily inspired by(i believe to be) Gold's work

Have no earasers so very rough sketch aha, and the blur is crazy cause I had to use my computer for the picture saddly

Nevertheless, anyone have any suggestions for the best type of sculpting clay/putty to use? Rn I have some air dry and oven bake(no brand names) which aren't doing the best

file:///home/chronos/u-b7d3a523c6010bd2d7ffeb54cef4f120a3b5e6f6/MyFiles/Camera/IMG_20240122_182259.jpg

this should work??
New to paleoart and sculpting, but really trying to learn more! If you have any requests lmk!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: DrunkAnteosaurus on January 22, 2024, 11:42:18 PM
Quote from: DrunkAnteosaurus on January 22, 2024, 11:30:31 PMGoing with the beautiful vintage look for my first ever sculpt. Heavily inspired by(i believe to be) Gold's work

file:///home/chronos/u-b7d3a523c6010bd2d7ffeb54cef4f120a3b5e6f6/MyFiles/Camera/IMG_20240122_182259.jpg

this should work??

That's a link to a local file on you your computer, so it isn't publicly visible. You can't upload the image to the forum itself, but the image does have to be uploaded online somewhere, so you can link to it in a forum post with the image tag.

Full instructions here: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=173.0

DrunkAnteosaurus

Quote from: DinoToyForum on January 23, 2024, 08:22:54 AM
Quote from: DrunkAnteosaurus on January 22, 2024, 11:42:18 PM

this should work??

That's a link to a local file on you your computer, so it isn't publicly visible. You can't upload the image to the forum itself, but the image does have to be uploaded online somewhere, so you can link to it in a forum post with the image tag.

Full instructions here: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=173.0

Oh wow, thank you mans! Sorry I'm very dull minded when it comes to forums

DrunkAnteosaurus

I have no idea if its working, used ImgBB

DinoToyForum

You were very close! You had used the correct code but you were linking to the image webpage, not the image file (ending ".jpg", in this case: https://i.ibb.co/Xjmd8tv/IMG-20240122-182259.jpg

I edited the link for you and now the image appears in the post. :)

Also, nice sketch! There's something reminiscent of Charles Knight in it.

DrunkAnteosaurus

Quote from: DinoToyForum on January 23, 2024, 01:09:19 PMYou were very close! You had used the correct code but you were linking to the image webpage, not the image file (ending ".jpg", in this case: https://i.ibb.co/Xjmd8tv/IMG-20240122-182259.jpg

I can't thank you enough mans! I really suck at forums, so thank you for sticking around and helping <:D

ceratopsian

It's just practice with the images here. An awful lot of new joiners find it tricky and require some pointers initially!

Quote from: DrunkAnteosaurus on January 23, 2024, 01:38:19 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on January 23, 2024, 01:09:19 PMYou were very close! You had used the correct code but you were linking to the image webpage, not the image file (ending ".jpg", in this case: https://i.ibb.co/Xjmd8tv/IMG-20240122-182259.jpg

I can't thank you enough mans! I really suck at forums, so thank you for sticking around and helping <:D

Doug Watson

When I first started sculpting I used both air dry clay and Sculpey/Super Sculpey which are bake in the oven materials. I got good results with the sculpey but the final sculpt was fragile and prone to cracking over time. Air dry clay was even more fragile.
Back in the 80s I started using the 2 part epoxy clay Magic Sculpt and that is what I still use today sculpted over carved polyfoam forms. You can also use wire and foil, wire and papier-maché or balsa wood for the forms. What is great about epoxy clay is after it cures you have a very durable plastic sculpt that you can either pull a mould off of for casting or just paint it up and have a one of a kind sculpture. I have an original sculpt of a large Gargoyle that I did for a giftware company that I have left outside all year round in Canada for years and it is still in perfect condition.
You have to work fast because in is a catalyzed reaction rather than drying but you just need to figure out how big an area you can finish before it sets. You can also slow the set time with temperature, the cooler the product the slower it will set the hotter the faster. You can also pop it and any unused mixed material in the freezer for a while if you need to take a break for a while. It will eventually harden even in the freezer so it is only a temporary thing.
One caution it is marketed as non toxic but in my years working in a museum model shop and now as a freelance sculptor I have seen one person who had a dermatological reaction on her hands. Her skin would crack and peel. That was only one person and everyone else was fine. If you do have a problem you can wear tight fitting examination gloves. I use latex while I am mixing the material but again some people have a reaction to latex but there are other options.
There are other brands of two part epoxy clays but of the ones I have tried Magic Sculpt works best from me, I have sculpted everything from miniatures to a life-sized fighter pilot in it.
Good luck

BlueKrono

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 23, 2024, 04:03:23 PM

When I first started sculpting I used both air dry clay and Sculpey/Super Sculpey which are bake in the oven materials. I got good results with the sculpey but the final sculpt was fragile and prone to cracking over time. Air dry clay was even more fragile.
Back in the 80s I started using the 2 part epoxy clay Magic Sculpt and that is what I still use today sculpted over carved polyfoam forms. You can also use wire and foil, wire and papier-maché or balsa wood for the forms. What is great about epoxy clay is after it cures you have a very durable plastic sculpt that you can either pull a mould off of for casting or just paint it up and have a one of a kind sculpture. I have an original sculpt of a large Gargoyle that I did for a giftware company that I have left outside all year round in Canada for years and it is still in perfect condition.
You have to work fast because in is a catalyzed reaction rather than drying but you just need to figure out how big an area you can finish before it sets. You can also slow the set time with temperature, the cooler the product the slower it will set the hotter the faster. You can also pop it and any unused mixed material in the freezer for a while if you need to take a break for a while. It will eventually harden even in the freezer so it is only a temporary thing.
One caution it is marketed as non toxic but in my years working in a museum model shop and now as a freelance sculptor I have seen one person who had a dermatological reaction on her hands. Her skin would crack and peel. That was only one person and everyone else was fine. If you do have a problem you can wear tight fitting examination gloves. I use latex while I am mixing the material but again some people have a reaction to latex but there are other options.
There are other brands of two part epoxy clays but of the ones I have tried Magic Sculpt works best from me, I have sculpted everything from miniatures to a life-sized fighter pilot in it.
Good luck

I use nitrile gloves while sculpting, mainly so I'm not leaving fingerprints all over surfaces that are supposed to be smooth. I prefer it to latex; you never know when you'll encounter someone who has a latex allergy even if you don't. Plus the nitrile doesn't tend to have as much of that white powdery stuff all over it.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Doug Watson

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 23, 2024, 05:34:52 PMI use nitrile gloves while sculpting, mainly so I'm not leaving fingerprints all over surfaces that are supposed to be smooth. I prefer it to latex; you never know when you'll encounter someone who has a latex allergy even if you don't. Plus the nitrile doesn't tend to have as much of that white powdery stuff all over it.

Problem with nitrile, vinyl and other non latex gloves that I have tried is you can't wear them when you use acetone and I use acetone for clean up (acetone dissolves them). I only wear the gloves while mixing once mixed I go naked, my hands that is. The white powdery stuff is just talc I keep a jar handy to put on my hands to get multiple uses out of the gloves. It is also a handy separator if you are sculpting a lower jaw separately or other appendages for moulding, I brush talc on both contact surfaces then you can pull them apart after they have cured. I also put it on my glass working surface to keep sculpted feet from sticking to the glass.
I also use the latex gloves when I airbrush and paint since I have a real knack for getting more paint on me than the model. I also prefer the dexterity of latex. I worked 17 years in museum shops with so many co-workers, students, volunteers etc that I couldn't count them and we always used the latex gloves with no issues. I have never actually met anyone with a latex allergy. I am pretty sure I am of no risk to anyone unless I was to force them to put the gloves on themselves, which I don't. I have worked alone since 1997.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.