News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Cretaceous Crab's 1:6 scale Repaints

Started by Cretaceous Crab, November 02, 2019, 12:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cretaceous Crab

Microraptor
Figure used: Safari LTD Microraptor (the first one)
Color reference: evidence of black iridescent coloration from fossil findings

*This figure is hard to photograph because of its position!

Halichoeres

Looks good! How did you get the iridescent effect?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Great recreation! and realistic to judge by the latest scientific discoveries as you well point out in your comment.

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 06, 2019, 01:15:30 PM

After looking high and low for appropriate iridescent paints, and experimenting a little with some cheapasaurs, I went with the following process for this piece:

1) after priming and dry-brushing, I painted a base coat of dark cobalt blue (I think its Admiral Blue in the Apple Barrel acrylic paints commonly sold at Walmart)
2) then I dry-brushing with satin jet black
3) after putting all the little details in (claws, mouth, eyes), I applied a blue ink wash

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the end result. There may be a better way to achieve that look (some have suggested dark iridescent paint more often used for model vehicles), but I could not find a paint with the exact shade I was going for.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on November 06, 2019, 06:23:40 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on November 06, 2019, 01:15:30 PM

After looking high and low for appropriate iridescent paints, and experimenting a little with some cheapasaurs, I went with the following process for this piece:

1) after priming and dry-brushing, I painted a base coat of dark cobalt blue (I think its Admiral Blue in the Apple Barrel acrylic paints commonly sold at Walmart)
2) then I dry-brushing with satin jet black
3) after putting all the little details in (claws, mouth, eyes), I applied a blue ink wash

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the end result. There may be a better way to achieve that look (some have suggested dark iridescent paint more often used for model vehicles), but I could not find a paint with the exact shade I was going for.

Very resourceful! I agree, the result is quite good.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Cretaceous Crab

Velociraptor
Figure used: Beasts of the Mesozoic unpainted Build-a-Raptor set 1
Color reference: 1996 Carnegie Velociraptor

NOTE: The muzzle, hands and feet are really a dark gray that matches the hornlets on the Carnegie figure. I just realized they appear darker in these images.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.