News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Custom Bullyland Stegosaurus

Started by empire3569, February 01, 2019, 09:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empire3569

Hello everyone, I'd like to show you my custom Bullyland Stegosaurus!

Stegosaurus is one of my favorite dinosaurs, and sadly, no really good models of it exist (not counting the upcoming Safari one from Doug Watson, which is excellent but not available yet). Even in light of the new Stegosaurus image with Sophie, I can still appreciate the older take on the animal. I've always liked the general aesthetic of the Bullyland figure, however the detail work and paint job are very off putting. So, I decided to buy it and make some changes

As you can see, I have re-sculpted most of the body to give it more fine, intricate scale work (and yes, I realize that dinosaur scales would be too small to appreciate at this scale, but it's what I like). I also attempted to redo the back feet to have the correct number of digits, however it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked and I will probably have to go back and redo them again. I plan to sculpt on the gular armor tomorrow, and after that its off to a fellow forum member's house for a jazzy new paint job :)

The sculpting was down with Kneadtite's "greenstuff", and while I will say it holds fine detail extremely well, it's also very difficult to work with (although this was my first time ever using it, so that might play into things. It's extremely sticky, which is excellent because it had no problem sticking to the model, however it means your fingers and tools must be constantly wet to avoid pulling at the medium. It's also a little more difficult to smooth than polymer clay, which I am used to working with. But, it also dries to a plastic-like texture, which again was appealing to me because it feels very similar to the original figure

Tips and criticisms are appreciated, thanks for looking!

Joey

That is one nice re-sculpt of a good figure! I want to do something similar to this but with a different figure.

Shonisaurus

I sincerely like the conservative and realistic colors of this custom Bullyland stegosaurus.

Joey

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 01, 2019, 11:24:48 PM
I sincerely like the conservative and realistic colors of this custom Bullyland stegosaurus.
That's the color of the putty he used, its unpainted.

empire3569

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 01, 2019, 11:24:48 PM

Yes that's the color of the epoxy putty, however I am planning on having it painted green :)

empire3569

Alright, here is the finished product! I cannot take credit for the painting, that was skillfully done by our forum's own u/paintingdinos , and I think it is safe to say that she crushed it! I am very happy with how the whole project turned out, and it should look great next to my W-Dragon Allosaurus

Jose S.M.

It looks amazing! The paintjob is great

Shonisaurus

It has totally improved the appearance paint. Your repainting is not very avant-garde nor very conservative in relation to the colors. It is in a medium term. Looks great.

indohyus

BramS