You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dino-riders toys are back by Mattel!!! (In a very unusual way....)

Started by Smilodon P., October 01, 2020, 07:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smilodon P.

It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but here's the information:

"Dino Riders Mini-Figure 15-Pack

Price:  $19.99

Description:

Harness the Power of Dinosaurs!
Heroic Valorian Dino-Riders vs. the evil Rulon warriors!
Exclusive battle pack includes 6 dinosaurs and 15 other figures.
Features classic characters such as Krulos, Bitor, Boldar, and Llahd!
Inspired by the 1980s toy line and Dino-Riders animated series.
Entertainment Earth Exclusive! It's the heroic Valorians versus the evil Rulon Alliance in this exciting Dino-Riders Rulon Warriors Battle Pack – Entertainment Earth Exclusive. Recreate epic battle sequences inspired by the 1980s toy line and Dino-Riders animated series or create your own new adventures! This special edition collection contains 6 dinosaurs and 15 other figures, including such classic characters as Rulon leader Krulos, Bitor, Boldar, and Dino-Riders hotshot Llahd. Whether you're discovering Dino-Riders for the first time or you've been a fan since you were a kid, you do not want to miss this sensational opportunity to Harness the Power of Dinosaurs! Each figure measure approximately 1-inch tall and the dinos measure approximately up to 7-inches long. Ages 6 and up."
(Original source: Toyark.com  https://news.toyark.com/2020/10/01/dino-riders-return-with-new-exclusive-from-entertainment-earth-404402)

More Pictures here: https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/MTGYY42R

Faelrin

Even though I like Dino Riders these figures aren't really my cup of tea. I would much rather prefer to see new action figures. That said that package artwork absolutely nails the aesthetic of the old figures packaging. It's also nice to see Mattel doing something with the license after having it for years now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

And here I was thinking I'd actually be spending some money on these, but then I saw what they looked like...

Dynomikegojira

Can't help to think if acquiring the JW ip changed their plans but hey Dino Riders is back this could lead to better things

Gwangi

I mean...at least it's something? For what they are they're not terrible, they remind me of the monochrome toys of old (like Marx). But considering how legendary the original Dino-riders were and still are, this is a serious downgrade. Almost insulting to be honest.

Takama

They might not want to take sales away from there Jurassic world line, so instead of makeing another Action figure line, they make these.

Oh Mattel, If your not makeing "some" Jurassic Park Collectors mad with your shady distribution Issues, your insulting the childhoods of others with the way you handle  this much older property. Way to Go Mattel, Way to Go ;D  ::)

stargatedalek

Quote from: Takama on October 01, 2020, 10:38:06 PM
They might not want to take sales away from there Jurassic world line, so instead of makeing another Action figure line, they make these.

Oh Mattel, If your not makeing "some" Jurassic Park Collectors mad with your shady distribution Issues, your insulting the childhoods of others with the way you handle  this much older property. Way to Go Mattel, Way to Go ;D  ::)
EE site says it's meant to be a convention exclusive, for a convention that (I have to assume) got cancelled. This isn't a new line or toy series, it's a one-time release novelty collectible set.

I'm not a fan of the designs either, but I think "insulting childhoods" is more than a bit extreme of a reaction.

CityRaptor

Maybe they are testing the waters with those for a bigger toyline or they might keep them as miniatures in order to not interfere with their JW toyline.

Quote from: Faelrin on October 01, 2020, 07:31:04 PM
It's also nice to see Mattel doing something with the license after having it for years now.
´

Well, there were a few Hot Wheels sets with that name:
https://hotwheels.fandom.com/wiki/Dino_Riders
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

For the record, I'm not actually insulted. I could care less. I watched the show as a kid, I had some of the toys. I still get some of the dinosaurs when I can but I have zero interest in the weaponry and humanoids. I wouldn't even buy them if they were like the original toys because the Jurassic World line fills all of my dinosaur action figure needs. But rest assured, someone somewhere is insulted by these and I wouldn't entirely blame them if they were hoping for an actual Dino-rider revival. Since they are apparently a convention exclusive then that helps explain the lackluster effort and with that in mind they're a nice collectable for fans of the series. 

CityRaptor

Similar situation here. Most of the figures I have are the later Smithonian re-issues. The only DR version is my Torosaurus. And I sold off the figures and armor pieces of that one.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

triceratops83

Ugh, this is more proof to me that the eighties were better. These look more like the various Dinorider knockoffs that turn up every so often. What a goddamn waste.

Imagine the uproar from Transformers fans if they got something like this instead of the seamless quality they've had continuously for years. And Dino-riders were almost as popular in their day as Transformers. One of the quintessential action figure lines, reduced to this.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

BlueKrono

I'm not interested in the dinos, but I'd be interested in the little purple guys. Could I buy them from someone who's just after the dinos?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ITdactyl

'Guess that Valorian forgot to take the brain-box off that Deinonychus... XD  I think it was intended for the Rulons and the Parasaurolophus for the Valorians, but got switched.

I'll probably TRYTM to get this set... just for that Diplodocus.

Shonisaurus

I liked the old Dino-Riders better. Dinosaurs and prehistoric animals were prettier. These are a bit cartoonish and I mean that with the utmost respect in this world.

suspsy

Disappointing lip service, especially how they clearly mixed up the Deinonychus and the Parasaurolophus. Don't get me wrong, it's nice that Mattel is acknowledging that DR once existed, but this is underwhelming.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.