News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 20 figures of 2021

Started by Lynx, September 20, 2021, 07:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Basically, a place for you to share what you think are the top 20 figures of 2021! If this is the wrong place for this, I apologize, I just got back into the forum. Feel free to move or delete if so.
An oversized house cat.

indohyus

Probably best to start a poll, I think.

Gwangi

We usually do a poll at the end of the year. Wouldn't want to start one too early, who knows what PNSO will be doing in the next 3 months.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

PNSO will have at least 5 more figures this year I expect.
That said I hope the best figure of 2021 isn't just a top 20 PNSO figures.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

postsaurischian

Same mistake every year - starting this kind of thread too early.
As usually the best date to start it is on January, 1st.
(I mean from a scientific point of view)

Gwangi

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on September 20, 2021, 10:42:03 PM
PNSO will have at least 5 more figures this year I expect.
That said I hope the best figure of 2021 isn't just a top 20 PNSO figures.

That thought did occur to me. But my own list will have Safari's Daspletosaurus and Baryonxy, at least one or two from CollectA. Then there's GR Toys, BotM. There's a lot of strong contenders and more than a few lesser PNSO figures. Now I'm getting excited about the poll, too soon though.

Faelrin

We typically do yearly polls regarding this exact thing here. That does make me wonder when we will start that up? Since this thread has already been created perhaps it would be good to use this to generate a shortlist for it?

This is going to be very hard to pick just ten. So many good releases this year. I think last year I mostly stuck with one per company? After checking it, yeah looks like I sure did.

Gonna try to give that a go again, although it won't be easy. Might not be my final top ten picks, but right now I'm thinking of going with:

• CollectA Xiphactinus
  • Creative Beast Studio Beasts of the Mesozoic (adult) 1/18th scale Triceratops (not out yet, I know but the prototype of this beast impressed me so much in person back in late 2019)
  • Dino Hazard Irritator
  • Eikoh Giant Moa (honestly lots of other good choices here, but I was hoping to see one of these made for years now, and figures of extinct and prehistoric birds are few as it is)
  • GR Toys Carcharodontosaurus
  • Mattel Jurassic World Apatosaurus (waited since 2018, if not longer technically, for this beauty to be made reality)
  • PNSO Parasaurolophus (very hard to choose with so many wonderful models released this year, and I fully expect them to dominate the final poll, but gosh this one is just so beautiful is the only one of all these I have in my collection currently)
  • Safari Ltd Baryonyx (I've been asking for it for years now, and it delivered, even if my sample has warped jaws)
  • Wild Past Tethyshadros
  • Not sure what I'd go for the tenth, if not all the wonderful figures O @Oammararak though. Hard to pick just one with so many really.
Edit: Oh my bad this was top twenty. The forum's official yearly polls are top ten. I'll have to think long and hard about what other ten I like to add in addition to the above.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Lynx

Alright, sorry everyone.
I wanted to make this as I was looking for figures to buy and was curious as to what you all liked, but ight.
Shall I delete this thread? (If I'm able to)

Or do you all want me to keep this thread open just for fun?
An oversized house cat.

Gwangi

Quote from: Lynx on September 21, 2021, 12:17:51 AM
Alright, sorry everyone.
I wanted to make this as I was looking for figures to buy and was curious as to what you all liked, but ight.
Shall I delete this thread? (If I'm able to)

Or do you all want me to keep this thread open just for fun?

I would say keep it open just for fun, especially if you're using it for research purposes. The official poll will still come at the end of the year. I'll post my own top 10-20, after I ponder it for awhile.

Bread

This is my first year round experience of releases followed by being a member of the forum, so I am quite excited for January 1st so I can place my opinions about the year's figures.

Gotta say, I am excited for more PNSO and Nanmu releases, especially Nanmu's bull rex, which may easily be my number 1 vote, if the list includes non-scientific figures.

I gotta say, PNSO do have a majority of the releases this year but they won't dominate my list. I can see their Parasaurolophus being their top so far for me at least, but I don't want to have them as a majority of my list.

Safari's lineup although small, does have some gems, their Baryonyx being the best on the market in my opinion, plus their Daspletosaurus until BOTM's comes in.

Speaking of BOTM, their ceratopsians for this year look amazing. Good thing their Tyrannosaurus line isn't out yet as that would be a large majority of my list lol.

CollectA's Mamenchisaurus I feel is the best option for this genus. Definitely a great and large figure for its price. Nothing else really interested me with CollectA this year. I don't generally collect any prehistoric life that is not dinosaur related, and I avoided their therapods this year.

Just a general rundown for my thoughts on this year's figures. I'll probably revisit this (or at least try to if I remember to) so I can compare my final list to this small overall assessment.

SRF

My top 10 or top 20 list would probably be almost PNSO-only, since I've only really collected PNSO figures this year. I don't think the new T. Rexes from Rebor (Kiss & Tusk) will be released this year already, otherwise they could be contenders as well.

The only exception thus far on my list is Eofauna's Triceratops.
But today, I'm just being father

Jorgesaurus

NANMU Triceratops, Nanmu Giganotosaurus, PNSO Bieber and Rock

Concavenator

I understand this year there have been a lot of releases, but I think a top 10 would be more interesting than a top 20, to be honest. IIRC pretty much all "Top Figures" threads here at the DTF have been of 10. And also, due to the circumstances of this year, it would be most sensible to open up a poll on the last few days of the year if not the last day, there may be new figures being released before the end of the year, and this has pretty much be confirmed by Everything Dinosaur, who when covering the PNSO Tylosaurus news said "expect more new releases from PNSO soon". And there might also come out other figures, PNSO aside. Possibly the Eofauna Diplodocus, or D @Doctor Velociraptor 's DinoZoo Kaatedocus.

I could make a top 20 list from me of my favorite figures from this year so far, but I don't think it makes sense to do it right now, not until the year has finished and we have a whole record of everything that's been released during it.

Lynx

Please note I'm using this for research purposes, but I think I'll be asking a mod to delete this thread if y'all decide it's too early.
I also don't want to start an argument the second I return to the forum.
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

Gonna just leave this thread to die out.
An oversized house cat.

Concavenator

I suggest it is better to directly eliminate this thread then, as it might create confusion when the other thread is created, in due time. So avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor , or anyone else, could you please remove this thread?

Lynx

Pinged one of them but then deleted the message as I felt as I was wasting their time
Thanks Conca! I'll be sure to ask before posting something like this if y'all agree its too early.
An oversized house cat.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.