News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

Initial response out of the way, the paint job puts me in mind of the buck rex. I'm really hoping they nail this in the mass produced version because it's honestly looking like one of my favorites yet (although my hopes aren't too high)

Duna

What a well fed boi with a thicc neck! I love it. I need to sell something more to buy it!

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus now if you buy from Aliexpress and from the PNSO official store, you don't have to pay anything to Customs here (Standard shipping included). The VAT is included in the price and Aliexpress pays to Customs here, so you just pay what it's advertised on the store. Here is the link of the Spanish site: https://pnso.es.aliexpress.com/store/912243411?spm=a2g0o.detail.100005.1.35ff7ffbu7tivn
I've just bought the Iguanodon because it has a discount of more than 10€, check it if you like, too.

bmathison1972

for those of you in the US, I get mine from HappyHenToys. Might take a little while longer to get them, and they aren't cheaper, but at least I don't worry about international shipping.

SRF

I like how this Tsintaosaurus came to be, but it being in the Museum Line will make it quite expensive for quite a small figure. It seems that they've added the base to justify the higher price but it could just as well have been a release in the Prehistoric Animal Models line I feel. 
But today, I'm just being father

ceratopsian

I knew you were, avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow - I was joking too.

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on February 18, 2022, 01:08:27 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on February 18, 2022, 01:02:04 PM
Sorry, I won't be obliging you here avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow!  Personally I like the look of this Tsintaosaurus very much indeed and will be buying it.  (But of course I haven't dashed to any skeletals etc.)  It looks very handsome and I like the well-fed beefy look. 

My only slight nostalgic sadness - weren't there images floating round some years back of a planned release of a Tsintaosaurus that was lying down?  I'd pretty well given up hope of that ever being released, but still....

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on February 18, 2022, 12:41:12 PM

" it looks off, the painting is too green, the horn is strange, noo..another expensive museum line figure, a new theropod would be better, the skeletal reconstruction looks different" will follow soon, don't be afraid.  ;)  :P  >:D

..of course I was joking.. I like the figure and I'll buy immediately when available.  O:-)

( But I liked the idea of ​​being the first ever to complain about a new figure on DTF  >:D )

Flaffy

Not much to say about the sculpt other than: It's beautiful! I enjoy the switch from toothpick thin legs of their Corythosaurus (very prone to warping I might add) to this beefy take on a long requested lambeosaurine. Glad to see PNSO depict a proper crest on this one, rather than the phallic-shaped reconstruction seen in many outdated models/artworks.

Quote from: SRF on February 18, 2022, 03:32:14 PM
I like how this Tsintaosaurus came to be, but it being in the Museum Line will make it quite expensive for quite a small figure. It seems that they've added the base to justify the higher price but it could just as well have been a release in the Prehistoric Animal Models line I feel. 

Same here, I find it odd that it's included in the Museum line considering the genus is very close in size to the rest of PNSO's hadrosaur lineup. I personally see no reason that it's in the more expensive line, as the larger Parasaurolophus and Corythosaurus figures are both in the cheaper line.

Not a fan of the minimalistic base either, would've much rather a proper scenic base with foliage and such to justify the premium price. And since it's a small figure in the Museum Series, I believe it's justified to expect the paintwork to match up in quality with the promotional pictures. I love the bold statement colours on the crest, and it would be a shame for PNSO to skimp out on the paint department for this one.

Figure sizes:
- Tsintaosaurus: 21.8 cm x 9.1 cm (museum series)
- Iguanodon: 27 cm x 9.5 cm (museum series)
- Corythosaurus: 27 cm x 10.5 cm
- Parasaurolophus: 27.6 cm x 11 cm

Size comparisons for the other PNSO hadrosaurs for those interested:
Spoiler

[close]

Shonisaurus

For me it's great although the tsintaosaurus could have been much bigger but less is nothing or at least the previous tsintaosaurus that were quite small and this one is tremendously beautiful.

avatar_Duna @Duna Also, thanks for sending me the link. I'll be on the lookout to buy it. I am not going to deprive myself of having that kind of dinosaur that I used to call "the unicorn dinosaur" in my youth.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Flaffy on February 18, 2022, 02:42:35 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 18, 2022, 02:27:31 PM
Sorry, I won't be obliging you here avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow!  Personally I like the look of this Tsintaosaurus very much indeed and will be buying it.  (But of course I haven't dashed to any skeletals etc.)  It looks very handsome and I like the well-fed beefy look. 

My only slight nostalgic sadness - weren't there images floating round some years back of a planned release of a Tsintaosaurus that was lying down?  I'd pretty well given up hope of that ever being released, but still....

" it looks off, the painting is too green, the horn is strange, noo..another expensive museum line figure, a new theropod would be better, the skeletal reconstruction looks different" will follow soon, don't be afraid.  ;)  :P  >:D

..of course I was joking.. I like the figure and I'll buy immediately when available.  O:-)

( But I liked the idea of ​​being the first ever to complain about a new figure on DTF  >:D )

haha that was awesome!

Sad truth is though, no matter how good of a figure is (of an animal no one has seen alive), the complaints will start flowing, about it's wrists, or its lips, or its color, or its cheeks, or its scales, or its toes, or its...[insert anatomical site here]  ;D 8) :P >:D

Are people not allowed to criticize aspects of a figure where necessary? I don't think it's unreasonable to point out both the strengths and flaws of a model, discouraging honest opinions would only result in this place becoming a sort of echo-chamber, whether it be incessant bashing or blind praising.

🤷🏻‍♂️ This is exactly why what avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow  made a joke which I think you either completely missed or did not get. and B @bmathison1972[/membe
r]  was also true that  especially here in the PNSO thread so many are critical.
Where and who said you can't be critical?  Not sure where you got that.

Anyway,
avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow thqt was so delicious to read, love it! 🤣 your humor is much appreciated!

Finally, finally, what an amazing model!
I have been hoping for this Dino to be made and here it is.😃
It's going to be a priority for me.
avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian yeah, we did see one in the reclining pose. Maybe they didn't release that since the crest is outdated and they don't make base anymore. I would have love that pose😃

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy sorry I hit the edit and not the quote button to respond 🙀 I did not edit your post,
But my response was in your original post as you can see. Sorry about that.

CarnotaurusKing

It's probably a Museum Line figure because it's Chinese, being one of the first dinosaurs discovered in China, like their Mamenchisaurus. Mamenchisaurus is pretty well known now, of course, but it's no Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops or Iguanodon. Just a thought though.

The figure itself looks gorgeous and I've been waiting for a decent Tsintaosaurus for some time, but it is in the Museum Line  ::) If I do buy it, it won't be any time soon.

SenSx

I'm impressed by this beefy neck !
Was this figure rumored or is it a complete surprise ?

ceratopsian

I would prefer a "scenery" base with rocks/foliage etc.  Or a proper stone base - this minimalist base looks too plastic.  But if I'm not happy with it when the model comes, I can always get a base made....

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: SenSx on February 18, 2022, 05:14:09 PM

It was rumored. Now all that's left from that list are Acrocanthosaurus, Sinraptor and Torosaurus IIRC.

bmathison1972

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 18, 2022, 04:12:27 PM
I knew you were, avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow - I was joking too.

As was I....mostly ;-)

SenSx

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on February 18, 2022, 05:32:48 PM
Quote from: SenSx on February 18, 2022, 05:14:09 PM

It was rumored. Now all that's left from that list are Acrocanthosaurus, Sinraptor and Torosaurus IIRC.

OK thanks !
And yes that is where I wanted to go, I hope it means Acrocanthosaurus is on its way ^^

Flaffy

Quote from: Bokisaurus on February 18, 2022, 04:41:18 PM
avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy sorry I hit the edit and not the quote button to respond 🙀 I did not edit your post,
But my response was in your original post as you can see. Sorry about that.
No worries! ^-^ , tried to clean up the quotes as shown below, hope you don't mind.

Quote from: Bokisaurus on February 18, 2022, 04:41:18 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on February 18, 2022, 02:42:35 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 18, 2022, 02:27:31 PM
Sad truth is though, no matter how good of a figure is (of an animal no one has seen alive), the complaints will start flowing, about it's wrists, or its lips, or its color, or its cheeks, or its scales, or its toes, or its...[insert anatomical site here]  ;D 8) :P >:D

Are people not allowed to criticize aspects of a figure where necessary? I don't think it's unreasonable to point out both the strengths and flaws of a model, discouraging honest opinions would only result in this place becoming a sort of echo-chamber, whether it be incessant bashing or blind praising.

🤷🏻‍♂️ This is exactly why what avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow  made a joke which I think you either completely missed or did not get. and B @bmathison1972  was also true that  especially here in the PNSO thread so many are critical.
Where and who said you can't be critical?  Not sure where you got that.

My response was mostly directed at B @bmathison1972 's comment rather than avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow 's joke. Thought I wouldn't be surprised if something went over my head. Please do enlighten me if that's the case. ^-^

From my perspective at least; Lumping both valid criticisms and senseless negativity into one encompassing term of "complaints" is quite disingenuous imo, and discourages people with genuine concerns from commenting as they would be written off, being dismissed as a "sad truth" of the forum. I'm not saying people are enforcing a strict "No criticism" rule, but given the tone of comments like B @bmathison1972 's, it definitely comes off as discouraging.

I don't think anyone can claim that they have been completely fair in their criticisms. A recent example would be in the Mojo 2022 thread regarding their new Mammoth. While the model is arguably a well-sculpted representation of a Woolly Mammoth, the perceived issue with the tusk length/curvature can be considered minor nitpicking to some, but a major and valid concern to others. One can certainly see parallels between criticisms of the Mojo mammoth, of the Safari Patagotitan, and of various PNSO models... only difference between the 3 scenarios is the individuals raising such concerns.

People should strive to be more positive. And that goes for myself too. I appreciate the calls to action for more positivity on the forum. I can certainly attest to how the positive comments and different perspectives to my own makes me reflect on my initial feelings towards a figure, and helps me form a more balanced opinion by the end! However, guilt tripping, & discouragement of such discussions is NOT the way to go. As avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres put so eloquently:
Quote from: Halichoeres on December 28, 2021, 12:44:58 AM
I think we get the community we deserve. There is plenty of negativity here (sometimes I add to it), but I've also noticed several longtime members only piping up to say how negative it is, which is in the end just another negative comment. I get it, I really do, but I think the best way to combat negativity is with positivity, not compounded negativity. I've said this before, but I think that "like/favorite/upvote/downvote" buttons on social media have trained us to only write a reply when we disagree with something. I think it can make a more old-fashioned forum like this feel negative when most people's reactions to things are positive or neutral, just none of them bothered to say so.

Like I've said before in a PNSO thread, just because I make the long-winded posts discussing accuracy, does not make me hate the figure in question. Some might recall my rants on the PNSO Torvosaurus, or Doug's Baryonyx. But at the end of the day, those two figures stands proudly displayed on my shelf; and I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if the figure(s) I've ranted about recently wiggle their way onto my shelf too ;D.

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on February 18, 2022, 03:10:57 PM
I feel like it has gotten a lot better. But for a while, PNSO threads were borderline unreadable unless you wanted to drown yourself in incessant complaining and negativity. Thankfully, we seem to be moving past that point now.
I agree honestly, I am certainly not overly positive about things I don't like, and there are quite a few products of PNSO I really dislike, but so much negativity gets old fast.

Faelrin

I'm glad to see this new Tsintaosaurus. Just wish it wasn't a Museum line figure (higher cost, extra stuff I don't need or want). Really wish they had a figure only option (like those Aliexpress no box options).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

thedeadlymoose

Wow, this is just beautiful! I'm really happy PNSO tends to come through with bright colors on crests and I hope it's just as striking in-hand.

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on February 18, 2022, 07:10:58 PM
I'm glad to see this new Tsintaosaurus. Just wish it wasn't a Museum line figure (higher cost, extra stuff I don't need or want). Really wish they had a figure only option (like those Aliexpress no box options).

I wonder if mainland chinese collectors shares a similar sentiment on figures being allocated to the expensive Museum Series.
avatar_Faras @Faras are baidu people expressing similar opinions? Or are they fine with the higher prices?

Sarapaurolophus

Expensive or not, as someone who enjoys all of these hadrosaurs PNSO puts out I am absolutely gonna have this! And I am glad they improved on the oddly... mature... take they had on its crest a couple of years ago ;D
The base is a letdown, I have to echo this. The only PNSO base I have so far is Lucio's and it's such a beautiful one. I might have to customize this to fit the look of the other one. Sigh.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: