News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psittacoraptor

Quote from: SenSx on May 13, 2022, 01:39:11 PM
At last !
I would have liked more vibrant colors on this one, but I'm liking it.
So museum line again ? It's going to be expansive...
Prehistoric animal line, see the packaging. So either 38.99$ or 42.99$.

JohannesB

Looks like a nice big, voluminous figure. And not in the Dinosaur Museum range, so that is very welcome too. At 35 USD and free shipping, this will be a sure buy (even considering it's got too big of a head). This will be my first Acrocanthosaurus model.

SenSx

Quote from: SRF on May 13, 2022, 01:43:30 PM
Quote from: SenSx on May 13, 2022, 01:39:11 PM
At last !
I would have liked more vibrant colors on this one, but I'm liking it.
So museum line again ? It's going to be expansive...

It's clearly released in the Prehistoric Animal Models line. Number 61 in the line, so that means we don't have any missing numbers right now.

I like this one, it's probably their best Allosauroid figure to date. Not sure if I will get it right from its release though.

Oh ok sorry, I'm wrong again !
I thought it was one of those costy museum line product with that manual and poster again...

Thialfi

Wow, it's quite pretty but the head looks massive. What is it with PNSO and off scale heads? The tail looks kind of short as well.

Still, it's a pretty model that reflects PNSOs sculpting prowess and I absolutely wouldn't mind owning it.

Medzo

Shadowknight1

Buying him the instant it's up on Amazon!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bread on May 13, 2022, 01:13:13 PM
Quote from: suspsy on May 13, 2022, 01:04:46 PM
Everyone go check out PNSO on Facebook or Twitter, folks! You'll be happy!

Hmmm.. yep definitely going to need that clear stand this time.

It's a nice looking figure as all PNSO are, but wow the big head makes the the rest look out of scale. I may get it later..IDK.. I have about five PNSO figures still in boxes I haven't even opened yet.   Did anyone check the size either? It's about the same length as Wilson.

Gwangi

I really wish it was a closer match to the Acro we see on the included poster, that one would have been an instant buy. Tail looks spindly, head looks large, and I'm not a fan of the spikes running down the back. I was really looking forward to this one. Acrocanthosaurus is one of my favorite large theropods. I'm just not excited about it. I want to want it but I'm going to have to mull it over.

EDIT: It's not a bad figure, it just doesn't fit my mental image of what we might be getting, which is closer to the poster art.

bmathison1972

Lovely Acrocanthosaurus, but I will stick with my Wild Safari version

Pliosaurking

Besides the proportional issues that others have noted, I think it's a rather good acrocanthosaurus

Lynx

I think the figure is great, but I'll be sticking to my Papo version. Not willing to buy a 55+ dollar acro when I already have one around the same size.  :(
An oversized house cat.

Flaffy

Quote from: Gwangi on May 13, 2022, 02:35:24 PM
I really wish it was a closer match to the Acro we see on the included poster, that one would have been an instant buy. Tail looks spindly, head looks large, and I'm not a fan of the spikes running down the back. I was really looking forward to this one. Acrocanthosaurus is one of my favorite large theropods. I'm just not excited about it. I want to want it but I'm going to have to mull it over.

EDIT: It's not a bad figure, it just doesn't fit my mental image of what we might be getting, which is closer to the poster art.

I have similar sentiments. I find that a lot of the times, the poster/promotional artwork accompanying the figure shows a significantly more appealing reconstruction compared to the figure itself. The poster Acrocanthosaurus has a well proportioned head, lips, fuller keratin ridges and a much more exciting colour scheme.

The skull just feels a bit elongate? Whether if it's actually too long or not is up for debate until in-hand pics comes along. But as it currently stands, the Acrocanthosaurus really looks like their Torvosaurus with a sail/hump.

Concavenator

Quote from: SRF on May 13, 2022, 01:43:30 PM
it's probably their best Allosauroid figure to date.

In terms of accuracy, it's definitely their worst allosauroid to date. Their best allosauroid so far is the Allosaurus, then there's the Carcharodontosaurus which has an outdated skull (though Carcharodontosaurus remains are quite fragmentary) but its proportions aren't a mess as with this one. Let's not forget Acrocanthosaurus is the most complete carcharodontosaurid along with Concavenator, PNSO simply got the proportions wrong. Head too big, tail too short and thin. Surprising to see this, the instant I saw it for the first time it was clear it had its problems. The Acrocanthosaurus on the poster is far more accurate.

I can see the hype behind this one, but based on what we've seen so far, the GR Toys Acrocanthosaurus beats this one in the accuracy department and will be a better option. Not to mention the upcoming BotM one as well (though that one will surely be way more expensive than both).

Pliosaurking

Quote from: Flaffy on May 13, 2022, 03:09:24 PM

I have similar sentiments. I find that a lot of the times, the poster/promotional artwork accompanying the figure shows a significantly more appealing reconstruction compared to the figure itself. The poster Acrocanthosaurus has a well proportioned head, lips, fuller keratin ridges and a much more exciting colour scheme.

The skull just feels a bit elongate? Whether if it's actually too long or not is up for debate until in-hand pics comes along. But as it currently stands, the Acrocanthosaurus really looks like their Torvosaurus with a sail/hump.

Glad to see it's not only me who thinks that the acrocanthosaurus and torvosaurus look very similar

Lynx

Personally, I think this figure suffers from SPS (same pose syndrome), as with many other therapods PNSO makes.

For large therapods, this is their go-to pose: T-pose with one foot slightly up as if it were taking a step, and the tail in whatever direction. When you use it over 3 times, it doesn't make the animal feel real anymore. Much rather, boring. I'd take Papos version over this anytime. even if it suffers more in accuracy.
An oversized house cat.

suspsy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 13, 2022, 02:54:00 PM
Lovely Acrocanthosaurus, but I will stick with my Wild Safari version

As will I.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Duna

Quote from: Pliosaurking on May 13, 2022, 03:20:56 PM
Glad to see it's not only me who thinks that the acrocanthosaurus and torvosaurus look very similar
Not the only one, too.  ;)
And as avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator has stated, this figure will need a nice rod to support its oversized head. It's a pity about the tail, too, because the body is very nice. Sad they messed up with one of the most complete species ... I like it because it looks very detailed (as every PNSO figure) and you have to congratulate PNSO for it and the effort must be thanked, but same happened with the Corythosaurus. Head is obviously out of proportions, but it you don't pay attention to that and just look for the presence of the figure, it could be passed. By now I'll stick with the Papo version. And I just thought it was going to be easily replaced but I talked too soon.

Duna

... dup

Gwangi

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy, I also noticed a similarity between this Acro and the Torvosaurus. And that's not a good thing in my book.

SRF

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 13, 2022, 02:34:53 PM

It's a nice looking figure as all PNSO are, but wow the big head makes the the rest look out of scale. I may get it later..IDK.. I have about five PNSO figures still in boxes I haven't even opened yet.   Did anyone check the size either? It's about the same length as Wilson.

Winter Wilson is about 2 centimeters longer and 2 centimeters higher as well. Also, Fergus seems to be more stretched out than Wilson is, so around the curve the difference could be bigger. The other big Tyrannosaurs from PNSO are also a bit higher than the Acro. Size wise it's more comparable to the Carcharodontosaurus.
But today, I'm just being father

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: