News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Wild Past - New for 2022

Started by GojiraGuy1954, January 08, 2022, 10:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Wild Past

Majungasaurus crenatissimus
Spoiler
Development Images

Art
[close]

Scutosaurus karpinskii & Kotlassia prima

Spoiler
Development Images

Art

[close]
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

stoneage

I like the fact that instead of making the feet bigger they put small platforms under them.  I hope that will make it stand well.

TheCambrianCrusader

Huh the Scutosaurus is smaller than I expected, still looks absolutely gorgeous definitely picking it up. What scale is the Scutosaurus?

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The plastic painted one is 1:20 scale, but there is also a 1:35 scale 3d printed version. It is that one in the second image. The first one is bigger.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SidB

Quote from: stoneage on January 09, 2022, 12:33:33 AM
I like the fact that instead of making the feet bigger they put small platforms under them.  I hope that will make it stand well.
Yes, I like this approach too, far better than clown feet. Hopefully it works out here, better than it did fot the old Battat T-rexes (versions 1,2).

Lanthanotus

Those sculpts look very nice. I however would prefer a true base over the two plates benath the feet, same as CollectA does for some of their figures. The plates beneath the feet do still not prevent warping of the single legs' depending on how rigid the material is (as of yet I only have the Protoceratops but this is made of a very pliable plastic). A base would connect the two feet and allow for a much higher chance to prevent warping and toppling over.

Shonisaurus

By the way, the scutosaurus has two versions, one larger at 1:35 scale and another smaller 1:20, but I don't know (I'm not very informed) if it will come painted like the protoceratops and the tethyshadros (the couple).

On the other hand, the Wild Past majungasaurus will make a very good pair with its Schleich counterpart. It looks magnificent and I venture to affirm that it is going to be the Wild Past version, the best finished of that species of strange dinosaur from Madagascar. I hope one day they will make the rapetosaurus alongside the masiakasaurus (we need more masikasaurus aside from the great Safari masiakasaurus). The prehistoric animals of Madagascar deserve a lot more representation than they have.

avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus I totally agree with you, I prefer wide bases like those of Collecta (as they did until a few years ago with their theropods) and I wish that the Wild Past figures were made of a less rigid plastic and were of a more ductile and flexible plastic like his endearing protoceratops is one of his best figures so far.

Flaffy

I am strongly against permanent bases like these. Having multiple copies of the Battat snowshoe rex, I am not confident this is a good solution to a balancing issues (hoping to be proven wrong). In my opinion, permanent bases detracts from the playability of figures as well.

I would much prefer a proper, slot-in base like the Tethyshadros. I don't see why this can't be done with the Majungasaurus.

bmathison1972

I have only followed Wild Past peripherally so far, but I am really interested in the Scutosaurus and Kotlassia!

I would prefer larger (1:20) plastic versions.

How does one acquire these? Do we order directly from the artist here? Are they sold online somewhere? What is the ETA for availability of these two?

Thank you!

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 09, 2022, 01:43:35 PM
I have only followed Wild Past peripherally so far, but I am really interested in the Scutosaurus and Kotlassia!

How does one acquire these? Do we order directly from the artist here? Are they sold online somewhere? What is the ETA for availability of these two?

Thank you!
they are sold at several places including Everything Dinosaur, I think Dan's Dinosaurs, Urzeightshop as well as direct
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SidB

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 09, 2022, 01:47:07 PM

Thank you!
they are sold at several places including Everything Dinosaur, I think Dan's Dinosaurs, Urzeightshop as well as direct
Also at Dejankins, BTW.

terrorchicken

Quote from: Flaffy on January 09, 2022, 12:56:59 PM
I am strongly against permanent bases like these. Having multiple copies of the Battat snowshoe rex, I am not confident this is a good solution to a balancing issues (hoping to be proven wrong). In my opinion, permanent bases detracts from the playability of figures as well.

I was about to mention the Battat T-rex (version 2?.)   I have it and Ive only ever been able to have it stand for a few seconds before it topples. Otherwise these are nice sculpts and I like the smaller sizes!

Carnoking

Majungasaurus might very well be my first Wild Past purchase!

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: SidB on January 09, 2022, 04:00:04 PM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 09, 2022, 01:47:07 PM

Thank you!
Also at Dejankins, BTW.

They also have a 3D print store (I believe it's Shapeways?) where you can buy additional models that aren't pre-manufactured, including the 1:35 scale variant of Scutosaurus. Their most popular 3D print model seem to be their Tenontosaurus, but I also like the look of their Magyarosaurus.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Flaffy on January 09, 2022, 12:56:59 PM

The snowshoe rex is pretty heavy, though. My Bullyland Liliensternus has a little mini-base on the feet and balances well a decade or more after its release. That obviously doesn't address your other objections to bases, but considering the size of this figure it might be pretty stable with just this little 'spotlight' base.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Duna

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on January 11, 2022, 04:24:29 AM
They also have a 3D print store (I believe it's Shapeways?) where you can buy additional models that aren't pre-manufactured, including the 1:35 scale variant of Scutosaurus. Their most popular 3D print model seem to be their Tenontosaurus, but I also like the look of their Magyarosaurus.
Where can I buy the 3D archive?

Concavenator

Has anybody been in touch with avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector recently? I wonder if anything happened to him... he's been inactive for a while. Of course, perhaps he's busy at the moment, but I remember the Wild Past Majungasaurus and Scutosaurus were supposed to be released soon (or already released). It's not that I don't understand that delays can happen, I'm merely surprised there have been no updates since early december (last post on their FB account was on 1st january).

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

He's been reasonably active on Instagram. He still posts infrequently, but definitely more often than here. I've seen enough activity that I assume he's still working at whatever pace he can. COVID definitely shook things up, but he's gotten things back on track it seems.

Concavenator

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on February 21, 2022, 11:21:49 PM
He's been reasonably active on Instagram. He still posts infrequently, but definitely more often than here. I've seen enough activity that I assume he's still working at whatever pace he can. COVID definitely shook things up, but he's gotten things back on track it seems.

Active as in a personal account, you mean? I checked Wild Past's Instagram and the last post was from 12th december. If he's been active on a personal account, it's great to know he's fine. One can never take anything for granted during these pandemic times...

DinoToyCollector

Hi, before there are any rumors about my condition: I'm fine :-D
There's a reason I didn't let you hear so much via social media, which I also posted. Unfortunately, my PC was infected with malware, which often led to strange posts and answers via my Facebook account (e.g. private pictures were attached). So I'm holding back a bit. But these are not the only reasons, because a lot is happening in the background.

1. Majungasaurus and Scutosaurus
There was final color tuning this month and unfortunately we do have stability issues with the Majungasaurus which are currently being attempted to be fixed. Unfortunately, it won't be as elegant as we had hoped.
I also have the chance to take a step forward in coloring and our tools with the help of a staff member from a popular company.

2. For the past few months we've been thinking about how to deal with the Shapeways theme. We tried to keep the prices there as low as possible. Unfortunately, we hardly earn anything from the figures there due to the high fees. That's why we decided to offer our figures as 3D prints in our own shop. These have a higher level of detail in comparison at the same price and the shipping costs within Europe and the world are quite stable. The offer in this shop is also supplemented by figures from other artists (DinoZoo for example). But there will be information about this from time to time. The plan is to start with the first models this week. I am working on a small series myself, which one or the other will certainly like as a supplement.
https://www.wildpast-studio.de/shop/

3. Production of next figures
While you're waiting for the Majungasaurus and Scutosaurus, I've already got offers from other manufacturers to compare what's possible. Surprisingly/fortunately, it looks like there is no viable alternative to our manufacturing facility in Germany.

4. Personal turmoil
Yes, the last 4 months there have been some changes in my personal life which are now unfolding in February. It was/is a wild mix of negative and positive experiences. Ultimately, I was able to reduce the working hours in my main job and have free time for all my projects and can therefore advance Wild Past in a more targeted manner.

5. Dinotoycollector.com
Here, too, there are far-reaching changes. My original code was just, well, half good and somehow worked. It has already been converted and in the future will bring the possibility of working more modularly on the site. The site will look different but will bring nice features with it in the near future.

I hope this can provide some clarity on various things. Of course I'll be more than happy to check back here if I have any questions.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: