News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 03, 2022, 01:52:39 PM
I won't be getting it. Not because it's not a nice figure, but I am not such a completist with dinosaur taxa that I need a dubious taxon (for the same reason I don't have a Stygimoloch).
It looks lovely, however. Just not for me.
To be fair, Stygimoloch could indeed be its own species of Pachycephalosaurus, from later than P. wyomingensis.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Thialfi

I am trying to understand why people are so bothered by the name Safari choose to give this animal. Does it really matter what we call this juvenile T Rex? I am not saying the bother is invalid, I am just trying to understand. They could call it a pigeon for all that I am concerned - the figure is based on the fossils of what is clearly a juvenile T Rex, so that's what this animal represents to me as well.

I think the model is excellent both in paint and sculpt. A lovely, affordable youngling to my bigger T Rexes.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Thialfi on May 03, 2022, 02:00:51 PM
I am trying to understand why people are so bothered by the name Safari choose to give this animal. Does it really matter what we call this juvenile T Rex? I am not saying the bother is invalid, I am just trying to understand. They could call it a pigeon for all that I am concerned - the figure is based on the fossils of what is clearly a juvenile T Rex, so that's what this animal represents to me as well.

I think the model is excellent both in paint and sculpt. A lovely, affordable youngling to my bigger T Rexes.
It's better than the Patagotitan. Still not gonna support making models of clearly invalid taxa though

SenSx

It's a good figure, I think I like the sculpt and size better than the PNSO, and the price is much better.
Alwready a review from Andy's Dinosaur, cool but come on Andy, you could have compared it with the PNSO one :/

SpartanSquat

Well in a way I was right about beign a Tyrannosaurus rex. But a juvie one. Not my favourite, maybe it will change my mind if I see it in person. It could work as a juvenile tyrannosaurus. I hope the remaining 2 will be better like a Therizinosaurus, Torvosaurus, Lambeosaurus or Sinoceratops

GojiraGuy1954

Bet the next one's gonna be Troodon

SenSx

Quote from: RolandEden on May 03, 2022, 02:07:52 PM
Well in a way I was right about beign a Tyrannosaurus rex. But a juvie one. Not my favourite, maybe it will change my mind if I see it in person. It could work as a juvenile tyrannosaurus. I hope the remaining 2 will be better like a Therizinosaurus, Torvosaurus, Lambeosaurus or Sinoceratops

Gorgosaurus or Albertosaurus are becoming unlikely :(
I'm still hoping for Herrerasaurus, Gallimimus, Cryolophosaurus or new Dilophosaurus, Megalosaurus, maybe Gigantoraptor, but that might be a too big specie for Safari, and they won't make only Theropods.

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 03, 2022, 02:09:59 PM

Troodon would be super cool.

suspsy

It should absolutely matter to anyone who cares about the science as opposed to just having cool toys on their shelves. Releasing a Nanotyrannus toy in 2022 is as demonstrably incorrect as releasing a Triceratops toy called Sterrolophus or an Allosaurus toy called Antrodemus. It will serve to make many children and parents and even some adult collectors think that there is still some legitimacy to Nanotyrannus when in fact there is no evidence of such. It's also something of a slap in the face to the many experts like Thomas Carr who have worked painstakingly to demonstrate that it was in fact a juvenile T. rex.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: SenSx on May 03, 2022, 02:11:52 PM
Quote from: RolandEden on May 03, 2022, 02:07:52 PM

Gorgosaurus or Albertosaurus are becoming unlikely :(
I'm still hoping for Herrerasaurus, Gallimimus, Cryolophosaurus or new Dilophosaurus, Megalosaurus, maybe Gigantoraptor, but that might be a too big specie for Safari, and they won't make only Theropods.

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 03, 2022, 02:09:59 PM

Troodon would be super cool.
Oh i was making an invalid taxon joke

GojiraGuy1954

Anyways, still think this company peaked in 2017-18. Not saying everything released since then is bad (it is most certainly not) but most of the models released in that time frame were good to great quality. Both reveals i've seen for this year so far don't really give off the same vibes as the stuff from back then did imo. No disrespect to any of the sculptors or painters though

Eocarcharia

Oh boy, I wonder what Safari's new dino reveal today is! I'd better check their Facebook page...

Uh oh...

Jose S.M.

I'm kind of disappointed tbh. They are making a bit less stuff than before and fill a slot with this one, even if it was called juvenile Tyrannosaurus I would think the same. Although it says it's from Dino Dana line and it has been said that that's a separate line from the regular products so who knows. It's a nice sculpt still but I don't like how the eyes are painted.
I think I'm going to stop thinking and wishing about this line from now on until they go back to their usual way of production, if they ever do. Better to just find out about them when they reveal something, like PNSO

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Eocarcharia on May 03, 2022, 02:29:09 PM
Oh boy, I wonder what Safari's new dino reveal today is! I'd better check their Facebook page...

Uh oh...
Don't worry the tidal wave is over

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Jose S.M. on May 03, 2022, 02:32:10 PM
I'm kind of disappointed tbh. They are making a bit less stuff than before and fill a slot with this one, even if it was called juvenile Tyrannosaurus I would think the same. Although it says it's from Dino Dana line and it has been said that that's a separate line from the regular products so who knows. It's a nice sculpt still but I don't like how the eyes are painted.
I think I'm going to stop thinking and wishing about this line from now on until they go back to their usual way of production, if they ever do. Better to just find out about them when they reveal something, like PNSO
There are 2 other figures coming this week

Thialfi

Quote from: suspsy on May 03, 2022, 02:12:41 PM

It should absolutely matter to anyone who cares about the science as opposed to just having cool toys on their shelves. Releasing a Nanotyrannus toy in 2022 is as demonstrably incorrect as releasing a Triceratops toy called Sterrolophus or an Allosaurus toy called Antrodemus. It will serve to make many children and parents and even some adult collectors think that there is still some legitimacy to Nanotyrannus when in fact there is no evidence of such. It's also something of a slap in the face to the many experts like Thomas Carr who have worked painstakingly to demonstrate that it was in fact a juvenile T. rex.

Thanks for explaining, that makes sense to a degree. I personally still don't think naming a toy model something it's not a "slap in the face", and I'll happily add it to my collection as to how I perceive the animal and because I think it looks great, but I see where you're coming from.

Dinoxels

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 03, 2022, 02:17:09 PM
Anyways, still think this company peaked in 2017-18. Not saying everything released since then is bad (it is most certainly not) but most of the models released in that time frame were good to great quality. Both reveals i've seen for this year so far don't really give off the same vibes as the stuff from back then did imo. No disrespect to any of the sculptors or painters though
Don't be discouraged, this year has some amazing releases.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Bread

At least this figure won't cost $30+.

GojiraGuy1954

Hoping for a non-dinosaur next

Halichoeres

Seems like they're trying not to spoil the punchline of the movie they're promoting. I dunno, mildly questionable? But "slap in the face?" That's completely over the top.

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 03, 2022, 03:02:41 PM
Hoping for a non-dinosaur next
Yes please.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: