News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

Totally diggging the Alberto. The colors are a nice choice, they work quite well

Bread

Honestly super excited! I was not interested in the Nano and Zuul, but this Albertosaurus has really grabbed my attention. Plus it is 1/35 scale!!!! I couldn't be happier with that!
Would go well with Rebor's Tyrannosaurus "kiss"

My only issue as mentioned by avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking, it suffers from onesie syndrome, but honestly I'll just repaint it myself.

Shane

Quote from: suspsy on May 05, 2022, 04:05:45 PM

Any word on release dates for these guys?

Unfortunately, nailing down an exact date in today's logistical climate is pretty difficult.

Anything that's been publicly revealed is expected to ship from the factories soon (if it hasn't already) and will hopefully arrive within the next few months.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Shane on May 05, 2022, 05:20:27 PM
Quote from: suspsy on May 05, 2022, 04:05:45 PM

Any word on release dates for these guys?

Unfortunately, nailing down an exact date in today's logistical climate is pretty difficult.

Anything that's been publicly revealed is expected to ship from the factories soon (if it hasn't already) and will hopefully arrive within the next few months.
Everything Dinosaur still doesn't have the Patagotitan its odd
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

PrimevalRaptor

Ohh this is amazing!
The Zuul is nice, always great to see more ankylosaurs out there but man I love this Albertosaurus!
While I can agree that I personally also prefer more defined keratin crests and all, it looks super good and I really like the color scheme, it's a breath of fresh air for sure and the scale detail is nice as usual.

GojiraGuy1954

Incredible improvement from 2021's roster despite being one figure smaller

Pliosaurking

Man what a pleasant surprise to come home to
That albertosaurus is fantastic I love the colours on this one
I would have liked more defined keratin crests but other than that they knocked this one out the park!
I love the zuul bit overly green for me, but not a deal breaker

GojiraGuy1954

Just need a Plateosaurus and / or Megaraptoran. Safari could do them excellently

Flaffy

Quote from: Flaffy on May 05, 2022, 02:43:41 PM
Is the upturned rostrum based on a specific specimen? I could be mistaken, but don't recall Albertosaurus skulls having a significant degree of upturning.
And is there a reason for the omission of tarsal scutes in the Albertosaurus? Along with some recent Safari theropods.

Gwangi

Some great figures this year but the realization is hitting me that we're unlikely to get a Doug Watson ceratopsian this year, and that makes me sad.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Doug Watson on May 05, 2022, 04:03:59 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 05, 2022, 02:34:26 PM
If this one isn't Doug's, well then, someone has mastered his style ;-)

Yes this one is mine.

I see they saved the best for last, fantastic figure!

GojiraGuy1954

S @Shane So we know there could be more reveals later on this year, but, if you are allowed to disclose it, are these the only licenced figures for this year?

Shane

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 05, 2022, 08:29:30 PM
S @Shane So we know there could be more reveals later on this year, but, if you are allowed to disclose it, are these the only licenced figures for this year?

Not something I can disclose at this time.

MLMjp

I am the only one who doesn't not like the color scheme of the Albertosaurus? The bright blue just kills it for me. Also, yellow-ish color for the base tone...in a safari figure...again.

I do like sculpt, the overall look of Albertosaurus has been captured fantasticaly in this piece, but the colors...

bmathison1972

Quote from: MLMjp on May 05, 2022, 09:51:57 PM
I am the only one who doesn't not like the color scheme of the Albertosaurus? The bright blue just kills it for me. Also, yellow-ish color for the base tone...in a safari figure...again.

I do like sculpt, the overall look of Albertosaurus has been captured fantasticaly in this piece, but the colors...

I am not crazy about the color either, but it's minor enough it won't stop me from getting it. Since we have no idea what most of these things looked like with regards to color, I am a little more flexible with potentially unnatural color schemes. But if I had my choice I would want something more neutral, or if striped, then striped in a way that would make logical sense for fitting in with its natural habitat.

The bottom line is, I am planning on getting it without hesitation :-)

Bread

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 05, 2022, 10:03:49 PM

I am not crazy about it either, but it's minor enough it won't stop me from getting it. Since we have no idea what most of these things looked like with regards to color, I am a little more flexible with potentially unnatural color schemes. But if I had my choice I would want something more neutral, or if striped, then striped in a way that would make logical sense for fitting in with its natural habitat.

The bottom line, is I am getting it without hesitation :-)
Definitely not alone. Like I said, I'll send it to someone to repaint or I'll repaint it myself.

I don't think its a bad colorscheme or application, but just not my cup of tea to have on a figure for my collection.

SidB

Quote from: Bread on May 05, 2022, 10:05:39 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 05, 2022, 10:03:49 PM

I am not crazy about it either, but it's minor enough it won't stop me from getting it. Since we have no idea what most of these things looked like with regards to color, I am a little more flexible with potentially unnatural color schemes. But if I had my choice I would want something more neutral, or if striped, then striped in a way that would make logical sense for fitting in with its natural habitat.

The bottom line, is I am getting it without hesitation :-)
Definitely not alone. Like I said, I'll send it to someone to repaint or I'll repaint it myself.

I don't think its a bad colorscheme or application, but just not my cup of tea to have on a figure for my collection.
I like that attitude - yes, a fine sculpt can always be modified/changed with a follow-up paint job. No need to reject great sculpts because of issues with mere color, IMO. As for me, I think that Safari made a good move with this painting: lined up with the 2017 feathered T-rex and last year's Daspletosaurus, the Albertosaurus' rather dramatic scheme really adds splash and interest to the trio, which otherwise would be much more drab, a common complaint when lining up tyrannosaurids together. Safari comes out of this reveal session with a big plus (Zuul and Pata were real positives for me and the juvenile rex/ Nanotyrannus will probably grow on me).

Gwangi

The coloration reminds me of the Albertosaurus in Jurassic World: Evolution. A coincidence, I'm sure. For some reason I associate blues and greens with Albertosaurus and I'm not sure why, but I like it.

MLMjp

I just saw Dino Scream Reviews video on the Albertosaurus, and now the color scheme isn't that bad, I think the blue/green looks cool. It's the yellow and how much it contrast with the blue what bothers me now.

GojiraGuy1954

Thats a double negative

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: