News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

I think the Alberto would look noticeably better just by shifting how the blue/gold pattern transitions into the face; a little more blue on the face or a little less blue farther down the neck would be a little less jarring.

Does anybody have thoughts on anatomy yet? I saw comments elsewhere that the back appeared more arched and the belly less stout than what skeletals would indicate.

bmathison1972

I do want to say one thing about the color. Even though I'm not crazy about it, it does offer some variety on the shelf, which certainly has its benefits. If they all had neutral colors, figures might start to look too similar. For example, if you lined up the PNSO tyrannosaurids, I doubt I could easily separate some of them :)

Pachyrhinosaurus

I don't mind the colors-- most of the Battats were brightly-colored, after all. I think it would have worked better if the head color continued onto the neck a bit to blend with the brown patches, and maybe with a dark wash to bring out the shadows. I think it still looks good as it is, though. The sculpt is great, too.

It looks like these last three reveals have a new stamp underneath. "UK/CA" in addition to the usual. I thought it might have to do with Dino Dana, but the albertosaurus has it and is not a Dino Dana figure. I find extra or large print like this to be somewhat distracting to the figure. I also didn't like when Safari started including the specific city of manufacture in China, since it takes up a considerable amount of space on the bottom of some pieces.

All in all, I think the albertosaurus takes the cake for my favorite dinosaur figure for 2022.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 06, 2022, 01:37:42 AM
I don't mind the colors-- most of the Battats were brightly-colored, after all. I think it would have worked better if the head color continued onto the neck a bit to blend with the brown patches, and maybe with a dark wash to bring out the shadows. I think it still looks good as it is, though. The sculpt is great, too.

It looks like these last three reveals have a new stamp underneath. "UK/CA" in addition to the usual. I thought it might have to do with Dino Dana, but the albertosaurus has it and is not a Dino Dana figure. I find extra or large print like this to be somewhat distracting to the figure. I also didn't like when Safari started including the specific city of manufacture in China, since it takes up a considerable amount of space on the bottom of some pieces.

All in all, I think the albertosaurus takes the cake for my favorite dinosaur figure for 2022.

It does have a Battat feel to it with that paint job. Not a bad thing, in my book.

ceratopsian

It's a good sculpt. I don't mind bright colours at all - but I find the abrupt transition at the neck to plain quite distracting.

Sim

Well, that's why Albertosaurus wasn't chosen over Nanotyrannus, an Albertosaurus was already going to be made too!  I still think another dinosaur could have been chosen over Nanotyrannus though.  The Albertosaurus is the only new Safari figure I like.  I guess that makes this year's lineup better than 2018's where I liked none of the new figures, and I think it's better than 2021's too.  I'm surprised Safari still hasn't made a new featherless Tyrannosaurus that's an adult.  I guess if their feathered version is still selling well they don't have much reason to make a new one?  I wish they would though.  On this note, Safari has made a lot of tyrannosauroids in recent years, four in three years!  I'm a little disappointed they haven't made much-needed species such as Rhamphorhynchus and Plateosaurus.  I do find it irritating how Safari has made yet another new sauropod and still no bipedal sauropodomorph.  Plateosaurus and Cryolophosaurus are some of the few Carnegie figures left to need replacing, so hopefully Safari will make new figures of them soon.

SenSx

I'm actually happy with the "juvenile rex", I will get it along the Albertosaurus.
The anky is nice but I don't need another one.

I indeed think another long overdue small theropod would have replaced the Nanotyrannus.
Like Herrasaurus, sorry I'm a broken reccord, but I hope Safari or someone else finally consider making one.
But given that Safari is now making Dino Dana licencing figures, I don't know how likely it is.

Shane

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 06, 2022, 01:37:42 AM

Hi,

UKCA is a stamp of compliance required for the UK market due to Brexit.

It basically takes the place of the CE mark that is used in the EU, but only applies to the United Kingdom.

It's a requirement to sell within the UK. You'll see it on other toys as well. There is a specific minimum size requirement, so Safari couldn't make it smaller even if they wanted to.

The place of manufacture is also required, for traceability purposes.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on May 06, 2022, 09:02:43 AM
Well, that's why Albertosaurus wasn't chosen over Nanotyrannus, an Albertosaurus was already going to be made too!  I still think another dinosaur could have been chosen over Nanotyrannus though.  The Albertosaurus is the only new Safari figure I like.  I guess that makes this year's lineup better than 2018's where I liked none of the new figures, and I think it's better than 2021's too.  I'm surprised Safari still hasn't made a new featherless Tyrannosaurus that's an adult.  I guess if their feathered version is still selling well they don't have much reason to make a new one?  I wish they would though.  On this note, Safari has made a lot of tyrannosauroids in recent years, four in three years!  I'm a little disappointed they haven't made much-needed species such as Rhamphorhynchus and Plateosaurus.  I do find it irritating how Safari has made yet another new sauropod and still no bipedal sauropodomorph.  Plateosaurus and Cryolophosaurus are some of the few Carnegie figures left to need replacing, so hopefully Safari will make new figures of them soon.
So you don't like the Megacerops, Ankylosaurus, Dimetrodon, Anzu, Hyeanodon, Malawisaurus, Triceratops, Regaliceratops, or Uintatherium?
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Doug Watson

Quote from: Flaffy on May 05, 2022, 06:55:35 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on May 05, 2022, 02:43:41 PM
Is the upturned rostrum based on a specific specimen? I could be mistaken, but don't recall Albertosaurus skulls having a significant degree of upturning.
And is there a reason for the omission of tarsal scutes in the Albertosaurus? Along with some recent Safari theropods.

When you say rostrum do you mean the premaxilla?

Sim

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson, is this new Albertosaurus you made Albertosaurus sarcophagus or Albertosaurus/Gorgosaurus libratus?

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 06, 2022, 02:29:56 PM
So you don't like the Megacerops, Ankylosaurus, Dimetrodon, Anzu, Hyeanodon, Malawisaurus, Triceratops, Regaliceratops, or Uintatherium?

Yes that's right.  I'm not interested in prehistoric synapsids except some cetaceans so that made over half of the 2018 lineup unappealing to me from the start.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Sim on May 06, 2022, 03:03:15 PM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson, is this new Albertosaurus you made Albertosaurus sarcophagus or Albertosaurus/Gorgosaurus libratus?

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 06, 2022, 02:29:56 PM

Yes that's right.  I'm not interested in prehistoric synapsids except some cetaceans so that made over half of the 2018 lineup unappealing to me from the start.

Safari's website specifies A. sarcophagus

Doug Watson

I had to double check for a second, I did this in 2019 and for some reason I can't access my e-reference files, but I checked my paper reference that was packed away in the basement and I did base it on Albertosaurus sarcophagus

Flaffy

Quote from: Doug Watson on May 06, 2022, 02:31:39 PM
Is the upturned rostrum based on a specific specimen? I could be mistaken, but don't recall Albertosaurus skulls having a significant degree of upturning.
And is there a reason for the omission of tarsal scutes in the Albertosaurus? Along with some recent Safari theropods.

Yes that would be it. Is the degree of upturning based off a specific specimen?

Stegotyranno420

The Albertosaurus will need repaint, but I like it.
Sorry if I asked before, but will safari be distributing these to Michael's Stores?
Tagging S @Shane if he knows something about distribution just in case,  sorry to bother you

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on May 06, 2022, 03:32:50 PM

I had to double check for a second, I did this in 2019 and for some reason I can't access my e-reference files, but I checked my paper reference that was packed away in the basement and I did base it on Albertosaurus sarcophagus

Thanks avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson! :)

Thanks also B @bmathison1972, I try to find out from the sculptor if possible because sometimes others in the company may not identify the species correctly, e.g. PNSO identifying their Allosaurus jimmadseni as Allosaurus fragilis.

Shane

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 06, 2022, 04:05:43 PM
The Albertosaurus will need repaint, but I like it.
Sorry if I asked before, but will safari be distributing these to Michael's Stores?
Tagging S @Shane if he knows something about distribution just in case,  sorry to bother you

That's up to Michaels, whether they decide to carry it or not.

I don't have any info about that at this time.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Flaffy on May 06, 2022, 03:57:20 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on May 06, 2022, 02:31:39 PM

Yes that would be it. Is the degree of upturning based off a specific specimen?

Several reference papers in fact. A lot of the skulls are composites however but the the curve is deepest at the midline of the maxilla then climbs toward the premaxilla where it has a slight downturn on some reconstructions (imperceptible at this scale especially with the addition of lips) and in some the curve continues upwards. I have added lips that partially cover the upper teeth. Looking at the reconstruction you showed that artist looks like he or she added more lip depth at the front of the premaxilla. I know you mentioned you like Greg Paul's reconstructions well if I scale his skull down it fits when I lay it over my head.

As for tarsal scutes I used to come under criticism for adding them early on like in the case of my Feathered T rex since it was thought that tarsal scutes evolved from feathered feet. At the time I pointed out that tarsal scutes had been found in fossils of Concavenator so it is not a settled argument. Since there has been no physical fossil evidence of them on other large theropods that I know of I just decided to leave them off I may put them on in the future if I do anymore that is.

Hope that answers your questions.

Faelrin

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson The Dueling Dinosaurs website claims there's a skin impression on the foot that is like an emu. https://duelingdinosaurs.org/

Hard to know the specifics without a paper though, or until the fossil goes on public display next year, and I guess it will be some time before that happens. I think going that route with the Albertosaurus and others is probably safe in the meantime though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Shane on May 06, 2022, 01:46:15 PM
Hi,

UKCA is a stamp of compliance required for the UK market due to Brexit.

It basically takes the place of the CE mark that is used in the EU, but only applies to the United Kingdom.

It's a requirement to sell within the UK. You'll see it on other toys as well. There is a specific minimum size requirement, so Safari couldn't make it smaller even if they wanted to.

The place of manufacture is also required, for traceability purposes.

That's interesting-- It makes sense that it's to adhere to a requirement. Especially for a manufacturer that sells worldwide.

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 My local Michael's stores no longer seem to carry Safari products. The miniature and dollhouse section has moved to the side wall of the store and generic-looking animal toys have taken their place. I think they might still have toobs. I'm hoping it's only regional, since Michael's is probably one of Safari's biggest retailers.

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: