News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

Just to clarify this is the last of the Safari 2022 prehistoric reveals for the time being.

There may be a few more to come, but not during this round of reveals.

Dromaenychus

Quote from: Shane on May 05, 2022, 02:17:09 PM
Just to clarify this is the last of the Safari 2022 prehistoric reveals for the time being.

There may be a few more to come, but not during this round of reveals.
Ah, I thought it was 4 this week.
Well, gotta wait for them to come in stock anyway.

bmathison1972

Wonderful! Another added to my 2022 purchase list!

Like with Zuul, not crazy about the color, but it's not a big enough concern for me not to get it

GojiraGuy1954

Obligatory mentioning avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson to see if this figure is his work
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

bmathison1972

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 05, 2022, 02:31:16 PM
Obligatory mentioning avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson to see if this figure is his work

I suspect this is Doug's. What I presume (possibly incorrectly) is that Doug is commissioned to do the WS Dinos and someone else is commissioned to do the Dino Dana figures.

If this one isn't Doug's, well then, someone has mastered his style ;-)

Flaffy

Is the upturned rostrum based on a specific specimen? I could be mistaken, but don't recall Albertosaurus skulls having a significant degree of upturning.
And is there a reason for the omission of tarsal scutes in the Albertosaurus? Along with some recent Safari theropods.

Other than that, I do quite enjoy this new figure! The colours are a bit garish, but I'm just glad to see colours other than browns and beiges being used on Safari dinosaurs at this point. The yellow head and blue body reminds me of Collared Lizards.

Glad to see individually sculpted teeth on this one. I was afraid based on some angles that the Albertosaurus would have Qianzhousaurus's old-man gums again, but thankfully the teeth are present and nicely sculpted. The feet are nicely proportioned as well, which goes to show excessively oversized clown feet aren't necessary to achieve balance (take notes CollectA and Mattel O:-))

Just a personal preference, but I would've liked to see the keratin crests and nasal ridges extend a bit further than they are currently. More prominent crests would make the figure stand out compared to the Daspletosaurus and Tyrannosaurus figures.

Carnoking

Oh that's a winner!
Kind of suffers from what I call onesie syndrome with the head, hands, feet, and tail bearing a different color than the main body (like they're poking out of a onesie). I'm not sure why this particular design trend bothers me (I've had similar issues with a handful of figures in the past) but here, I can definitely get past it here.

Gwangi

I love it, just what I've been waiting for. My disappointment in the Nanotyrannus not being an Albertosaurus has been vanquished. Love the vibrant paintjob too, this is a must have. I can't wait to see it next to the Safari Daspletosaurus and Tyrannosaurus. And this one definitely looks like a Doug Watson sculpt, very reminiscent of his Qianzhousaurus.

Nyrorosaurus

Gwangi

Faelrin

That's an absolutely gorgeous Albertosaurus. Yet another one I was hoping for and we got it. Definitely want to pick it up. Probably going to have it stand in for Gorgosaurus since it's the closest thing to it, and it should sit nicely alongside the Safari Ltd Styracosaurus and PNSO Dinosaur Park hadrosaurids. Very curious if Doug did this one. Looking at the size comparison between the feathered Tyrannosaurus and the Daspletosaurus this is a good size for me too. Seems to be about 1/35 scale give or take.

That said if we are getting more prehistoric reveals later in the year I hope we'll get some non dinosaurs too. Particularly I long for some new mammals (Megaloceros and Aenocyan dirus in particular) from them. Last one we got was the Woolly Rhino in 2019. Anything else non-dinosaur would be appreciated though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on May 05, 2022, 02:51:51 PM
Thanks avatar_Nyrorosaurus @Nyrorosaurus! A magnificent trio.

Just need one more for a barbershop quartet  ;D

Duna

That Albertosaurus is 100% Doug's work. It's unmistakable (feet, scales, head, eyes ...).

Thialfi

Quote from: Nyrorosaurus on May 05, 2022, 02:49:02 PM
Size comparison

Thanks for posting that lovely trio.

Really digging this albertosaurus, great sculpt and the colours are awesome, such a welcome break from the otherwise more naturalistic colour schemes. Love me some colour on my shelf.

Really happy with all the Safari offerings this year - great, unique choices in species and they all look excellent. Can't wait for them to arrive. I want them all!

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Duna on May 05, 2022, 03:01:22 PM
That Albertosaurus is 100% Doug's work. It's unmistakable (feet, scales, head, eyes ...).

I'm going to agree in this one. The eyes and feet are in his style, that's why I knew the other ones weren't his. Anyway Zuul and Albertosaurus are great! Pretty happy about them and they surely got my excitement for collecting up again!

Strepsodus

I like a splash of color on my shelf as well, and I need to get that Daspletosaurus.

Halichoeres

First post updated.

I really dig the color scheme on the Albertosaurus. I'll be getting it, along with Patagotitan and Zuul. I'll be damned if I buy a Tyrannosaurus figure two years in a row, though (I got the PNSO juvenile last year).

Quote from: Faelrin on May 05, 2022, 02:56:50 PM
That said if we are getting more prehistoric reveals later in the year I hope we'll get some non dinosaurs too. Particularly I long for some new mammals (Megaloceros and Aenocyan dirus in particular) from them. Last one we got was the Woolly Rhino in 2019. Anything else non-dinosaur would be appreciated though.

Yeah, that would be nice! All of this year's reveals so far are from a relatively thin slice of time, about 35 million years. The Phanerozoic is 541 million years, so...there's some untapped potential.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 05, 2022, 02:34:26 PM
If this one isn't Doug's, well then, someone has mastered his style ;-)

Yes this one is mine.

suspsy

Well, alright then. After getting a man on first and then a strikeout, Safari has knocked two homers clear out of the park! I adore the Zuul, especially the fact that the colour scheme is identical to the one used in the official exhibit. I have the accompanying book, so I may use that as a stage for the eventual review.

Loving the Albertosaurus too. It looks a bit like it's going to a beach party, but I like vivid colour schemes. Between this, last year's Daspletosaurus, and the Papo Gorgosaurus, I'll finally have the Terrible Trio in my tyrannosaur display.

Any word on release dates for these guys?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Fembrogon

Count me in the camp delighted for this reveal! While I do agree that the color scheme looks just a bit odd - a shade darker and less abrupt pattern cutoff at the head would probably be an improvement - I think this figure looks great overall, and it's high time this classic non-rex tyrannosaur got a new mainstream figure.
Now we await release...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: