News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mathison Museum of Natural History - Prehistoric Edition

Started by bmathison1972, January 20, 2022, 03:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Species: †Douvilleiceras sp.

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Dinotales Series 4
Year of Production: 2003
Size/Scale: Shell diameter approximately 3.0 cm for a scale of 1:2.5-1:5.8 (see below)
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: Being one of the original Dinotales figures, some assembly is required. The scale above is based on an average range for D. mammillatum.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Middle-Late Cretaceous (Barremian-Cenomanian); probably worldwide in most seas and oceans at the time
Habitat: Marine, pelagic to benthopelagic
Diet: Presumably predaceous on other invertebrates and small fish
IUCN Status (at time of posting): N/A [prehistoric]
Miscellaneous Notes: Douvilleiceras was one of the most widespread genera of ammonites. At least 12 species have been described and their fossils have been found throughout the Americas and parts of the Caribbean (Dominican Republic), Africa (including Madagascar), Europe, the Middle East, Russia, and Japan.

bmathison1972

Species: †Homo neanderthalensis King, 1864
Common name(s): Neanderthal

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Bullyland
Series: Evolution of Men
Year of Production: 1999
Size/Scale: Height approximately 10.0 cm for an average scale of 1:16.8 for an adult male
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: The Neanderthal is the go-to species of 'caveman' to be produced in toy form. Bullyland alone made at least six other versions in addition to today's, and they have also been produced by Safari Ltd. multiple times and CollectA twice.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Middle-Late Pleistocene of Europe and western Asia
Habitat: Highly variable, including temperate woodlands, cold steppes, and coastal areas
Diet: Varied based on location but generally non-discriminant omnivore, including large and small mammals, birds, eggs, fish, shellfish, fungi, and plant material
Miscellaneous Notes: Homo neanderthalensis was one of the more technologically sophisticated hominids to pre-date modern H. sapiens. Neanderthals are responsible for the Mousterian stone-tool industry and produced beech tar, and were able to construct spears and other weapons for hunting with stone. They sometimes lived in simple structures and stored food. Neanderthals could control fire and engaged in several cooking techniques, including roasting, boiling, and possibly smoking. They wore simple clothing and are believed to have had the ability to weave. They used ochre and may have worn jewelry, such as pendants. It is believed Neanderthals were capable of making simple reed boats and sailed in parts of the Mediterranean. Neanderthals probably had a simple spoken language, but not written language. On at least some occasions, Neanderthals buried their dead, but it is unknown if it is related to specific cultural or even religious practices. The ultimate cause of the extinction of the Neanderthals is still unknown, and although they were replaced by H. sapiens during the late Pleistocene, there is genetic evidence that there was at least some interbreeding between the two species.

Halichoeres

Love that Douvilleiceras. The early 2000s were peak Kaiyodo.

The Bullyland figure reminds me of one of my cousins!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bmathison1972

Species: †Eldredgeia venustus Lieberman, 1993

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Paleocasts
Series: Trilobite Cast Collection
Year of Production: 2018
Size/Scale: Body length approximately 5.2 cm, within scale 1:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: Paleocasts is a line of prehistoric animals, mainly invertebrates, produced by artist Patrick May and sold on Etsy in the U.S. The figures can usually be purchased finished (as shown here) or unfinished.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Middle Devonian (Givetian) or present-day South America
Habitat: Marine, benthic
Diet: Presumably scavenger or predator on other invertebrates
Miscellaneous Notes: Eldredgeia venustus belongs to the phacopine group (Phacopida: Phacopina) characterized by having schizochroal eyes. Schizochroal eyes typically had fewer (around 700), yet larger lenses. This, in combination with field of view (all-around) vision and elevated eye placement suggests their eyes were used for altering the animal of would-be predators rather than for hunting prey. Phacopines also had more efficient enrollment mechanisms for defense against would-be predators.

bmathison1972

Species: †Stegosaurus stenops Marsh, 1877

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Wild Safari Prehistoric World
Year of Production: 2020
Size/Scale: Body length approximately 23 cm for a scale of 1:24.3 (see below)
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very common [as a genus]
Miscellaneous Notes: This figure was sculpted after the famous 'Sophie' specimen (NHMUK PV R36730), a nearly complete (roughly 85% intact) specimen discovered in the Red Canyon Ranch quarry near Shell, Wyoming, USA. The scale above is calculated specifically based on the Sophie specimen, which is a subadult, but in his collection thread on the DTF, forum member Halichoeres speculated that the toy may scale closer to 1:35 for a mature individual (I didn't do the calculations for a mature specimen). Despite the designation 'Sophie', the sex of the dinosaur is unknown.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Upper Jurassic (Kimmeridgian to early Tithonian) of present-day western North America
Habitat: Riparian coniferous forests, gallery forests, seasonal floodplains, fern savanna
Diet: Vegetation; likely a browser on small twigs and low-growing vegetation
Miscellaneous Notes: In addition to being known for the plates that runs down its back, Stegosaurus is also known for the four presumably defensive spikes at the end of its tail. In a 1982 The Far Side comic, cartoonist Gary Larson coined the term 'thagomizer' for the tail spikes; it was named after a caveman called Thag Simmons that was killed by it (yes, yes, we all know Paleolithic humans and stegosaurs never interacted). Interestingly, researchers on stegosaurian dinosaurs have adopted the term thagomizer in their scientific circles and is used as an informal anatomical term! I grew up with The Far Side cartoons (I was 10 years old when the thagomizer debuted) and remember this particular cartoon well.

ceratopsian

I liked this model enough when it was released that I sent it to Martin for a special paint job.  I still like the Safari "Sophie" a great deal. 

SidB

Thanks for bringing up the hilarious /sad tale of the demise of "Thag", B @bmathison1972 . That story line and the associated cartoon is forever printed in my memory and automatically pops up whenever the term "thagomizer" is used!

bmathison1972

Quote from: SidB on September 13, 2023, 12:44:32 PMThanks for bringing up the hilarious /sad tale of the demise of "Thag", B @bmathison1972 . That story line and the associated cartoon is forever printed in my memory and automatically pops up whenever the term "thagomizer" is used!

can't miss an opportunity to incorporate a Far Side cartoon if I can  ;D  8)

Oh and tomorrow's post will be another prehistoric offering by Safari...

bmathison1972

Species: †Orthacanthus sp.

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Prehistoric Sharks TOOB
Year of Production: 2010
Size/Scale: Body length approximately 9.5 cm for a scale of 1:31.6
Frequency of genus in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: The scale above is based on a 3.0 meter mature specimen. I really like this little shark, but could see myself replacing it for a 'standard-sized' version by an established company some day.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Upper Carboniferous to Lower Permian of present-day North America and Europe
Habitat: Freshwater swamps, bayous; nektobenthic
Diet: Apex predator on other fish, including the related shark Triodus; cannibalism likely
Miscellaneous Notes: Orthacanthus and other xenacanthid 'sharks' are known for their prolonged dorsal spines, which are believed to be derived from a modified dorsal-fin spine. The function of such a spine is not entirely understood, but is believed to be defensive, perhaps by preventing other predaceous chondrichthyans from grabbing them dorsally at the head region.

Halichoeres

I like this figure. Back when Safari made interesting Toobs. The anal fins should number two, rather than four, and be on the midline. I thought the Action Products version had only one anal fin, but looking at SBell's photo, I think they might have actually gotten it right! Way more cartoony, though.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Sim

I enjoyed going through this thread last night.  The Uintatherium entry made me consider adding the CollectA mini Uintatherium to my collection again.

Regarding the Dakosaurus entry, what makes you think the PNSO Dakosaurus is D. maximus?  I thought it was D. andiniensis, and it was identified as that species in its DTB review.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Sim on October 03, 2023, 04:11:27 PMI enjoyed going through this thread last night.  The Uintatherium entry made me consider adding the CollectA mini Uintatherium to my collection again.

Regarding the Dakosaurus entry, what makes you think the PNSO Dakosaurus is D. maximus?  I thought it was D. andiniensis, and it was identified as that species in its DTB review.

I can't remember but generally in the absence of an obvious anatomic feature, I tend to go with the type species. I have since done some snooping, and I find the skull shape somewhat intermediary between the longer maximus and more boxy andiniensis, but having learned their differences, I still favor D. maximus. The ID on the Blog review is that reviewer's personal conclusion, and unless PNSO states otherwise, it's really a coin flip. I am sticking with D. maximus for now. I may have analyzed the skull metrics at the time but honestly can't remember.

I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread. These are all featured on ATF too, but diluted among all the extant taxa LOL

Sim

I compared the PNSO Dakosaurus's head to the skull of the two species and I now think the figure represents D. maximus.  I'll need to get the figure again now since it's a different species to the Safari toob Dakosaurus!

bmathison1972

Well, it's been almost two months to the day since the random method of selection landed on something appropriate for the DTB, but alas here we are, folks:

Species: †Mammuthus trogontherii (Pohlig, 1885)
Common name(s): steppe mammoth

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Eofauna
Series: 1:35 Scale Dinosaurs
Year of Production: 2017
Size/Scale: Height at shoulder approximately 11.0 cm for a scale of 1:33.6-1:40.9
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: The only other figure of this species I am aware of was produced by Papo in 2000 and retired in 2009. Either represent a nice change of pace to the onslaught of woolly mammoths, that are the 'go-to' prehistoric proboscideans to produce!

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Early-Middle Pleistocene of northern Eurasia
Habitat: Temperate forests, steppes
Diet: Grazer to grazing-predominant mixed feeder of grasses, trees, shrubs
Miscellaneous Notes: Mammuthus trogontherii is believed to have originated in East Asia around 1.8 million years ago (mya) and is believed to be descended from the southern mammoth (M. meridionalis). The steppe mammoth is believed to have crossed Beringia around 1.5-1.3 mya, giving rise to the Columbian mammoth (M. columbi). Roughly 0.8 mya, populations of M. trogontherii gave rise to the woolly mammoth(M. primigenius), which eventually replaced M. trogontherii about 200,000 year ago. However, it's possible relict populations occurred in Mongolia and northern China into the Last Glacial Period, as recently as 33,800-24,800 years ago.

Fembrogon

Eofauna's Steppe Mammoth is SO good, I can hardly get over it. It's funny to think how it was nearly overlooked (so it seemed) when it first released; now I dare say it's one of the definitive toy prehistoric proboscideans in the hobby.

SidB

I've always included this terrific Cenozoic figure among my 1/40th scale collection extinct mammals, but as you point out, it can be incorporated without serious issue into the other 1/35 proboscidians of Eofauna. Good to know.

bmathison1972

Species: †Nyctosaurus gracilis Marsh, 1876

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: PNSO
Series: Age of Dinosaurs
Year of Production: 2016
Size/Scale: Total figure height 8.5 cm. Using crest height as a metric (n=5.5 cm), scale comes to approximately 1:10
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: PNSO chose to have this figure sculpted with a headsail on the crest (perhaps to avoid breakage), although the current consensus is that the crest lacked a sail and looked more like a two-pronged antler (see below).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Cretaceous (Santonian-Campanian) of present-day North America
Habitat: Coastal areas
Diet: Unknown, presumably fish or possibly flying insects
Miscellaneous Notes: The belief that the crest of Nyctosaurus lacked a sail comes mainly from the absence of soft-tissue attachment points along its edges. It has been suggested that such a sail could hinder aerodynamics, although a 2009 study looking at aerodynamics both with and without a sail demonstrated that was not the case. It has been suggested the purpose of the crest was for display, possibly intraspecies communication, but not for sexual selection as both sexes appeared to have had them.

Halichoeres

No hits for two months, and then two in as many days!

If you want to get technical, there was a Nyctosaurus from Mattel's Go Diego Go line, but it is not much sought after by dinosaur collectors for some reason...

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 14, 2023, 04:17:12 PMIf you want to get technical, there was a Nyctosaurus from Mattel's Go Diego Go line, but it is not much sought after by dinosaur collectors for some reason...
And if you want to get double technical, there were several figures made of Nyctosaurus from Tomy's The Good Dinosaur line since Thunderclap is a Nyctosaurus. (Unfortunately all of them have four joints in the wing finger as opposed to three and have digits 1-3 which is also incorrect)

bmathison1972

Thanks all! It's hard to keep track of all the esoteric releases that are not commonly known in our community. I'll edit 'Unique' to 'Very Rare'. Thanks!

I generally ignore things like plush, gaming miniatures, ceramic/metal art, etc., but Mattel and Takara Tomy are worth noting!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: