You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO stegosaurus or Safari Ltd. stegosaurus

Started by Thialfi, January 25, 2022, 12:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thialfi

I am having a hard time deciding which one I would like to add to my collection. Looking for a 'definite' stegosaurus, and although PNSOs newest Bieber takes the cake for me, it's just too costly, unfortunately.

Which is these two do you prefer? Or perhaps a totally different model? Thanks!

SRF

Like you've said yourself, the newest PNSO Stego takes the cake. Its price is the reason that I haven't purchased it as well, but I'm still planning on picking it up someday. Maybe when I can get it at a discount.

The older PNSO one is known as one of PNSO's weakest offerings, so between these two I would probably go for the Safari one.
But today, I'm just being father

Antey

You need to buy the best, especially since the price difference is not so great. I'd rather forego an extra overtly toy action figure than forego the best Stegosaurus reconstruction on the market. Bieber is on my shopping list. Yes, it's expensive, but worth the wait. Because the imperfection of Safari will constantly remind you of itself.

Lanthanotus

I have both PNSO Stegosaurus and would not exchange them for any Stegosaurus model I am aware of. Somewhat a shame is, that they do not go together very well mainly for their completly different paint schemes. I have the older Bieber on display with a customized Vitae Chilantaisaurus (stand in for Allosaurus) and the new Bieber on a base in company with a sligthly customized Papo Apatosaurus. Both pairs go quiet well together in terms of sculpting quality and scale.

Faelrin

I'd highly suggest checking out reviews on all three if you haven't, just so you can be sure which paint apps are preferred, as well as the size of them.

Personally I prefer the brighter coloration of the old PNSO one (although poorly painted plates aside) to both the Safari Ltd and new PNSO (which had darker muddy looking paint compared to the prototype pics). I think the old PNSO one has been discontinued so I wouldn't recommend sitting on it too long if you decide on that one. However both the Safari Ltd and new PNSO are more anatomically accurate. New PNSO also comes with a baby whose pose is based off a trackway.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Thialfi

Thank you all so much for your elaborate responses! ❤️ I love this place. Great arguments all together, I will let it marinate for a bit and make a final decision soon.

Sim

I definitely prefer the Safari 2019 Stegosaurus.  It is the only Stegosaurus in my collection and I'm very happy with it.  PNSO's older Stegosaurus had weird puffed-up cheeks and appears to lack the throat armour.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I would take the Safari stegosaurus hands down. It's based on Sophie, so it reflects the most recent findings. I also think it looks better in terms of position and color scheme as well.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Mellow Stego

I prefer the Safari version, but even I'll admit it's lacking in certain detail compared to the latest PNSO.

So for fun I took all three outside to get some close-up pics of the face and thags.

Old and new Beibers

Safari Stego

If you ask me, if you really like the newer Pnso figure it's probably better to just wait and save up for it. You'd be happier if you didn't feel like you "settled" with anything.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

bmathison1972

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on January 25, 2022, 07:24:43 PM
I would take the Safari stegosaurus hands down. It's based on Sophie, so it reflects the most recent findings. I also think it looks better in terms of position and color scheme as well.

My thoughts too. Keep in mind, the Sophie specimen is, if I remember correctly, a sub-adult specimen, so that could explain how it differs from other models such as PNSO.

Thialfi

All you are the absolute best. So happy with the responses ❤️ Special shout out to avatar_Mellow Stego @Mellow Stego for the amazing pictures; thank you! I am slowly drawing towards a conclusion here..

Sim

The Sophie specimen is a young adult.  It's possible its differences from the Stegosaurus stenops holotype are due to age, but it's also possible it isn't and the differences are due to something else e.g. gender, individual variation...

Skorpio V.

I honestly didn't understand the outward hatred the earlier PNSO Stegosaurus received. I liked how it looked airbrushed and smooth, although the plates were definitely a let-down. I do like the headsculpt and limbs of this one though.

Safari's takes this because of the posture update.

For other choices, Favorite co. is one that comes to mind first but it seems rather difficult to come by. I like Rebor's too, but it's pretty out of scale with most Morrison Formation figures.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Psittacoraptor

Personally, I would wait and get the new PNSO figure later. In my opinion, settling for a cheaper "good enough" substitute for a figure you really want is not worth it. You're going to look at the substitute on your shelf and wish it was the one you actually want instead.

ceratopsian

I too would save up and wait. If you really like it, you won't be happy with second best. Quality over quantity
Would I think be the best route. Better to buy one good model rather than two not so good.

Shonisaurus

The more expensive a product is, the quality and finish of the figure is usually better. I would keep the stegosaurus from Safari just because of the more expensive price, but that's just my opinion. If you like to save money, preferably buy the PNSO one, it is very nice and scientific, but if you want to risk much more economically, buy the latest version of the PNSO, which is the most expensive with breeding because the more expensive the quality and size of the the figure even if you are a lover of large prehistoric dinosaur toys the last stegosaurus from PNSO this past year comes with a deluxe presentation in a quality box and honestly it will cost you money but you get a stegosaurus figure perhaps one of the best from the market together with their calf.

But obviously the stegosaurus figure from PNSO first version and consulting shopping websites is a little cheaper than the one from Safari and if you like to collect and save some money, I think it's the right choice.

In any case, consult online stores, eBay, Aliexpress or Amazon for prices and look for the stegosaurus that you like the most but that is the most economically affordable including shipping costs. But what has been said is normal that the higher the quality of a prehistoric animal, the price will obviously increase and therefore it will be more expensive.

MesozoicJohn

Wait and save up for the PNSO Biber and baby Rook. You will not be disappointed with the set, by far and away the best available. I am very happy with mine and glad I spent the extra.

John :)

Thialfi

Well, after long deliberation and going back and forth between all the arguments given (thanks! ❤️) I decided to go for the Safari Ltd. one, mainly because of a combination of price and the fact that it's actually based on Sophie.

And thus I ordered..

..only to receive the wrong, smaller, older Safari Ltd. model in my order 😂

Gwangi

Quote from: Thialfi on February 02, 2022, 08:12:53 AM
Well, after long deliberation and going back and forth between all the arguments given (thanks! ❤️) I decided to go for the Safari Ltd. one, mainly because of a combination of price and the fact that it's actually based on Sophie.

And thus I ordered..

The same thing happened to me years ago when I ordered the Carnegie Carnotaurus and they sent the older, inferior version by mistake.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: Thialfi on February 02, 2022, 08:12:53 AM

And thus I ordered..

Yikes. Not that the older one was terrible, but it sure has less... grace than the newer one. It has a nice paintjob though!
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: