News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, February 06, 2022, 05:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimbeard

The Dakotaraptor and Ornithomimus look really nice, especially considering their smaller size. Same goes for the entire lineup of the second set, I especially like the Megatherium and the Thylacosmilus and the Stellars Sea Cow has a very creative and unique pose and display diorama.

Flaffy

Quote from: brettnj on April 07, 2022, 12:32:46 PM
These are stunning.

One thing that I almost never see discussed is the evolution of the quality of figures by the same manufacturer over time. These are, to my eye, among, if not the, most beautiful of all Dinotales and certainly the megatherium and sea cow are the most elaborately rendered.

Looking back at early series, by comparison you could see that the line is being treated with more respect than originally, addressing them more artistically and scientifically. While the sculpture quality was always good, the paint on early figures especially was often amateurish, garish, and toylike.

These though, look like they could be displayed in a museum setting.

Also very happy to see this set especially due to the chosen subjects and after such a long wait, and with this great leap in evolution (Everyone see what I did??) I'm already looking forward to the next.

Same here! These are in my opinion some of the most beautiful Kaiyodo prehistorics out there!

I have a soft spot for proboscideans, so obviously my favourite out of the set is the Platybelodon. The exquisitely rendered musculature and underlying anatomy far surpasses the already great UHA Platybelodon. Probably could've given it a more regular-looking trunk than the outdated(?) flat reconstruction though.

The attention to detail on Thylacosmilus's extremely odd skull is worthy of praise too. The absence of upper incisors, along with those comically long canines are captured perfectly on the miniature. I love how the sculptor did not excessively reference felines, an unfortunate fate that many Thylacosmilus and Thylacoleo reconstructions suffer from. One notable issue though is the digitigrade stance of the figure, when the marsupial was likely plantigrade in real life.

Getting a bit tired of Megatherium figures being stuck in this exact same pose for years now, especially with the tongue sticking out. To my knowledge there's only a whopping two figures of Megatherium that aren't in this upright feeding posture (Schleich & that 3D puzzle). But when all's said and done, it's a classic posture for the genus, and a dead ringer for the Natural History Museum mount:

Halichoeres

Quote from: Flaffy on April 08, 2022, 07:21:41 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on April 08, 2022, 12:57:58 AM
Thanks for posting the photos, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy! Are the image links stable and can I use them in the first post?

They're hosted on Imgur, so yeah they should be. ^-^ avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres
Excellent, thanks!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

Might be old news by now, but digging this exhibit's sculpts that were had. Really wish they had made a figure of that gorgeous Tiktaalik, but the others are nice to see as well. Here's the google translated link: https://shikoku--aquarium-jp.translate.goog/news/archive/430/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Also here's some news posts regarding the Capsule Q Museum figures coming out later this year (again I put the links into google translate):

Cenozoic:

https://kaiyodo-co-jp.translate.goog/items/capsule/kdcc09/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Mesozoic:

https://kaiyodo-co-jp.translate.goog/items/capsule/cqm140/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin yeah those sculpts are amazing, I wish they were production models! I'd love to have a Kaiyodo Tiktaalik, Beelzebufo, or Pontosaurus!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Flaffy

Since Kaiyodo's releasing the amazing Cenozoic set (first interesting thing they've done in quite a while now), I really hope we'll see more prehistorics that aren't dinosaurs from them.

Can't speak for the accuracy, but using the triangle-headed Mata Mata turtle as inspiration for integument is just genius, and results in one of the most unique interpretations of Diplocaulus I've seen.

Psittacoraptor

Quote from: Faelrin on April 27, 2022, 08:57:01 PM
Might be old news by now, but digging this exhibit's sculpts that were had. Really wish they had made a figure of that gorgeous Tiktaalik, but the others are nice to see as well. Here's the google translated link: https://shikoku--aquarium-jp.translate.goog/news/archive/430/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp
Interesting that the Japanese to English translation translates to the German "Urvogel". I suppose that's Archaeopteryx, then? I love that Tiktaalik, it looks amazing. Seeing Kaiyodo stuff makes me a bit sad because the models are either not produced commercially or I can't purchase them from Europe anyway.

Halichoeres

I wonder if the existence of the much smaller version of the Diplocaulus model portends an actual release. Probably just wishful thinking.

brettnj

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on May 02, 2022, 04:31:41 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on April 27, 2022, 08:57:01 PM
Interesting that the Japanese to English translation translates to the German "Urvogel". I suppose that's Archaeopteryx, then? I love that Tiktaalik, it looks amazing. Seeing Kaiyodo stuff makes me a bit sad because the models are either not produced commercially or I can't purchase them from Europe anyway.

I can get you virtually anything from Japan.

Please PM if interested.
Brett

brettnj

Hey.

The prehistoric and extinct animal set releases this month (And its companion dino set next...).

So far I have 38 orders for it, making this the most popular set I've sold in the 7 years I've been doing this.

Please PM if interested.

Thanks.
Brett

brettnj

Hey.

My source just informed me that contrary to what's been on the Kaiyodo site, both sets will be releasing this month.

Brett

JimoAi

In hand images of the dakotaraptor. Arm feathers couldve been longer but does it have lips or nah?

Halichoeres

I think it does have lips but at this scale it barely matters.

dinofelid

Anyone know the size of the Ornithomimus and Dakotaraptor, for scale purposes?

Halichoeres

D @dinofelid I don't have them in hand yet, but if they are similar in size to the Dinotales Struthiomimus and Deinonychus, then the Ornithomimus is probably between 1:35 and 1:40, and the Dakotaraptor is probably about 1:50 - 1:55. I'll post more precise estimates in my collection thread when mine arrive.

JimoAi

Here's the Dakotaraptor compared to kaiyodo's 1:35 scale artpla human I found on twitter

dinofelid

Even if it's a little too small to work as a Dakotaraptor at 1:35, at that scale maybe it could fit within the range of size estimates for Achillobator?

stargatedalek

We don't really have a solid grasp on Dakotaraptor's size anyway, we thought we did, but then part of it ended up being a turtle...

JimoAi

I was wondering if deinonychus works?

Bread

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 02, 2022, 10:22:16 PMWe don't really have a solid grasp on Dakotaraptor's size anyway, we thought we did, but then part of it ended up being a turtle...
I've heard about this. But wasn't it still an absolute massive raptor?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: