News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Rebor Deinosuchus hatcheri 'Meta' w/ Appalachiosaurus montgomeriensis prey

Started by GojiraGuy1954, February 18, 2022, 10:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Rebor Deinosuchus "Meta" with Appalachiosaurus prey

Finished Models
Spoiler
Estuary Variant
Spoiler

[close]

Swamp Variant
Spoiler

[close]
[close]

Model Development
Spoiler
early 3D model development
Spoiler

[close]

Printed (unpainted) prototype(s)
Spoiler

[close]

Fuller 3D model development
Spoiler

[close]
[close]
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'd buy just the Appalachiosaurus if they made it...shame it's food.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 19, 2022, 03:12:52 AM
I'd buy just the Appalachiosaurus if they made it...shame it's food.

Same! It'd also work as the "Jane" specimen (which would also be controversially on brand for Rebor).
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Shonisaurus

It would be nice if they made a live appalachiosaurus I'm honestly glad that Rebor and the rest of the toy dinosaur companies (a considerable part I mean) are encouraging themselves to make theropods of the tyrannosauroidea family that are not the very famous and well-known tyrannosaurus rex. Compared to other dinosaurs, the commercialization of tyrannosauroidea, I understand that it can mean good economic gains for toy dinosaur brands, in my personal opinion, since many of them are similar to tyrannosaurus rex, meaning that even the public that is not a collector (children or rather their parents) are encouraged to buy those theropods from the same family as the king of dinosaurs and I would dare to say of the prehistoric fauna that is the tyrannosaurus rex.

It is a great success to market tyrannosauroids and in general large theropods and raptors, and less economic risk than other prehistoric animals for toy dinosaur companies.

Gwangi

I hope they'll consider a whole Appalachiosaurus, that would be far more exciting than this.

Takama

Quote from: Gwangi on February 19, 2022, 03:01:39 PM
I hope they'll consider a whole Appalachiosaurus, that would be far more exciting than this.

Considering they never considerd a whole Tenontosaurus,   i doubt it.

Though it being a carnivore, i see it more likely

Halichoeres

In a way it is kind of fitting that a dinosaur known only from fragments be represented as only a fragment.

I actually don't really understand the appeal of Appalachiosaurus. Is it just because it's from eastern North America instead of western? I grew up out west, so maybe I'm just spoiled by relatively nearby tyrannosaurs that are much more complete.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Pliosaurking

suspsy

The fragmentary nature of Appalachian tyrannosauroids makes them very alluring. Many people are curious to know more about them.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 20, 2022, 06:49:39 PM
In a way it is kind of fitting that a dinosaur known only from fragments be represented as only a fragment.

I actually don't really understand the appeal of Appalachiosaurus. Is it just because it's from eastern North America instead of western? I grew up out west, so maybe I'm just spoiled by relatively nearby tyrannosaurs that are much more complete.

It's nice having dinosaurs from where you live. So of course if your local to where they lived you want to know more about those particular ones.

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 23, 2022, 01:55:00 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 20, 2022, 06:49:39 PM

It's nice having dinosaurs from where you live. So of course if your local to where they lived you want to know more about those particular ones.

Exactly that. It's exciting to know that dinosaurs walked around where one lives.

Here is the Applachiosaurus mount at the Tellus Science Museum in Cartersville, GA, just down the road a bit from me.

Over9K

Some more angles on the Deinosuchus (Meta?) and Applachiosaurus corpse...

suspsy

So they really aren't going to bother correcting the osteoderms, are they? That's just lame, especially considering that they're one of the most diagnostic features of Deinosuchus. But I'm hardly surprised.

Flaffy

Quote from: suspsy on February 23, 2022, 03:59:10 AM
So they really aren't going to bother correcting the osteoderms, are they? That's just lame, especially considering that they're one of the most diagnostic features of Deinosuchus. But I'm hardly surprised.

I doubt Rebor thinks this is big enough of an issue to change up the sculpt at this point. A real shame too considering how much research work has been done on the species recently.

By @fadeno_paleoart

REBOR_STUDIO

What's wrong with our osteoderms? Please point out?

Also unlike their modern relatives Deinosuchus had fully functional claws on all digits, and a more useful tongue too.

suspsy

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on February 23, 2022, 07:52:27 AM

What's wrong with our osteoderms? Please point out?

avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO, see the image that avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy already posted above. And this one along with paleontologist Mark Witton's article. The osteoderms on your model are those of a modern crocodilian, whereas Deinosuchus' were unique. Also essential for terrestrial locomotion, as they served as load-bearing reinforcement for the torso. Your version would have a terrible time trying to walk any distance.

http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2016/01/deinosuchus-dalek-backed-alligatoroid.html?m=1

The Prehistoric Traveler

To be completely honest the oval-like shape of those osteoderms wouldn't really show since they have about the same shape as on the saltwater crocodile skeleton below and when fleshed out the animal has a straightened out pattern, so some question marks are needed behind some recent reconstructions of deinosuchus. What i would say however is that REBOR should have raised them a bit more. If they did that REBOR would be an absolute figure-king in my eyes.

suspsy

Quote from: The Prehistoric Traveler on February 23, 2022, 11:36:38 AM

To be completely honest the oval-like shape of those osteoderms wouldn't really show since they have about the same shape as on the saltwater crocodile skeleton below

No, they really don't resemble a saltwater crocodile's, especially the large ones associated with the neck, and they would have been more prominent in life like in the artwork I posted, which was commissioned for a recent paper on Deinosuchus schwimmeri.

Quoteand when fleshed out the animal has a straightened out pattern, so some question marks are needed behind some recent reconstructions of deinosuchus.

Even if we assume that statement is correct, it has no bearing on the actual shape of Deinosuchus' osteoderms.

The Prehistoric Traveler

Quote from: suspsy on February 23, 2022, 11:50:25 AM
Quote from: The Prehistoric Traveler on February 23, 2022, 11:36:38 AM

To be completely honest the oval-like shape of those osteoderms wouldn't really show since they have about the same shape as on the saltwater crocodile skeleton below

No, they really don't resemble a saltwater crocodile's, especially the large ones associated with the neck, and they would have been more prominent in life like in the artwork I posted, which was commissioned for a recent paper on Deinosuchus schwimmeri.

Quoteand when fleshed out the animal has a straightened out pattern, so some question marks are needed behind some recent reconstructions of deinosuchus.

Even if we assume that statement is correct, it has no bearing on the actual shape of Deinosuchus' osteoderms.

The were more bulbous and deeply pitted (thats where most of their shape went) other than that there was nothing unique about them. That's why i said REBOR should have raised them more. The pattern is not the problem.

suspsy

Quote from: The Prehistoric Traveler on February 23, 2022, 12:16:02 PM
The were more bulbous and deeply pitted (thats where most of their shape went) other than that there was nothing unique about them.

Please go read the article by Mark Witton that I posted above. And the paper on Deinosuchus schwimmeri. It honestly sounds like you're trying to downplay a crucial part of the animal's anatomy because you don't want to acknowledge that Rebor simply got it incorrect. A Deinosuchus with osteoderms like the ones on that model is like an African lion with fur like a snow leopard's.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02724634.2020.1767638

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: