You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Times magazine Award for Best Figures of 2021?

Started by Concavenator, April 11, 2022, 11:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Usually every year the PT magazine awards several models in various categories, do we know which figures were awarded from last year?

Fembrogon

The Spring 2022 issue is scheduled to start releasing soon, so we'll probably see the winners listed in that issue.

Concavenator

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Thanks!

I'm personally expecting the (dinosaur figure) winner to either be Safari's Baryonyx or Daspletosaurus. But time will tell.

suspsy

The best non-dinosaur figure ought to be the CollectA Doedicurus or the Pteranodon. Or maybe it'll be the Xiphactinus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

Quote from: suspsy on April 12, 2022, 02:29:55 AM
The best non-dinosaur figure ought to be the CollectA Doedicurus or the Pteranodon. Or maybe it'll be the Xiphactinus.

Those seem to have the highest chances, since I get the impression they don't consider others companies that aren't Safari or CollectA.

Crackington

The PT vote considers any brand but, as pointed out on other threads, the readership tends to be older Americans so they do go for Safari and Collecta models a lot.

There has been more coverage of PNSO etc in the magazine this year though, so you never know.

I voted for the Wild Past Tethyshadros for best dinosaur and the Evolution of Life Phragmoceras nautiloid  by O @Oammararak for best non-dinosaur btw.  For best book I voted for the Plesiosaur's Neck by Dr Admin!

Concavenator

My bets are the Safari Baryonyx and the CollectA Pteranodon.

Pachyrhinosaurus

The winners have been announced! They are: Safari Ltd Spinosaurus and Procon CollectA Doedicurus. Joe Laudati's World's Fair Triceratops won best model kit.

I would have chosen the Safari Baryonyx as last year's best dinosaur figure, but it is just a fun thing and I don't take it too seriously.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Ikessauro

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on April 16, 2022, 12:05:14 AM
The winners have been announced! They are: Safari Ltd Spinosaurus and Procon CollectA Doedicurus. Joe Laudati's World's Fair Triceratops won best model kit.

I would have chosen the Safari Baryonyx as last year's best dinosaur figure, but it is just a fun thing and I don't take it too seriously.

NOo way, Safari Ltd. Spinosaurus is "best of the year". Not even close.

stargatedalek

What a ridiculous result. Are these voted or chosen by editors?

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 16, 2022, 01:06:25 AM
What a ridiculous result. Are these voted or chosen by editors?

There was an invitation to send in your picks on the "Letter from the Editor" page in the previous issue. I never noticed it before or else I would've voted.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Strepsodus

That's strange that the Safari Spinosaurus won in that poll. I usually like Safari the best but they weren't at the top of their game last year. I can believe the Doedicurus from Collecta, as it and the Collecta Xiphactinus won STS's Prehistoric figure poll. It was a tie

suspsy

I'm very pleased that the CollectA Doedicurus won Best Non-Dinosaur. Fully deserved honour. I should update my review with this news.

I'm also very disgusted that the Safari Spinosaurus won Best Dinosaur. Respect for the rules of this forum prevent me from typing out my initial reaction, but I can tell you that it rhymes with "ducking well." Either the Baryonyx or the Daspletosaurus would have been a much better choice. So would any of the dinosaurs CollectA put out last year for that matter. Not to mention the Eofauna Triceratops and a pile of PNSO products. Oh, and any of the genera from the first wave of BotM ceratopsians.

Yeesh.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Quote from: Ikessauro on April 16, 2022, 12:25:23 AM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on April 16, 2022, 12:05:14 AM

NO WAY Safari Ltd. Spinosaurus is "best of the year". Not even close.
Agreed - the Daspletosaurus and Baryonyx were far better! No 'fun' in this result. The Doedicurus was terrific, though. I wonder how representative this poll was?

Fembrogon

I'll concur that the Safari ltd. Spinosaurus is an odd choice - although I can't criticize too much, since I never voted myself despite being a subscriber.
I have to assume the results are just reflective of the audience base, although I'm still surprised Daspletosaurus or Baryonyx didn't take the title instead. Those two were much more exciting additions to Safari's line.

Congrats to Collecta Doedicurus, though. I am SO behind on my Collecta wishlist...

ceratopsian

I can't believe that the Safari Spinosaurus won Best Dinosaur.  But I guess it's partly my fault - normally I vote but I forgot this time round.  Still, probably wouldn't have made any difference!  The result of their poll  isn't usually quite so peculiar.

GojiraGuy1954

Safari's Spinosaurus is one of the biggest missteps they have ever made, how it won best dinosaur of the year is a mystery to me
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Crackington

Well, to adapt a quote from a recent US president, if you don't like the outcomes of elections, you need to make sure you "(subscribe and) vote!"

It's no use blaming Mike Fredericks or the PT readers.*

There's nothing stopping members creating their own DTF awards on here either, obviously with Dr Admin's consent.

avatar_Pachyrhinosaurus @Pachyrhinosaurus thanks for posting the best figure results, but  would you mind letting us know what the other categories were too? I.e best fossil discovery and best book? My PT hasn't arrived yet....

*Sorry to sound so grumpy, but I'm holed up in bed with COVID, it finally got to me and my girls  :(

Concavenator

avatar_Pachyrhinosaurus @Pachyrhinosaurus Thank you for announcing the winners. For me, the fact the "best dinosaur figure of the year" award went for the Safari Spinosaurus means 2021 marked the year in which this award lost any possible seriousness and value. Up until recently, this award was meaningful, because Safari and CollectA represented the peak in the scientifically accurate prehistoric animal model market. Both CollectA and Safari (look at how much of an improvement the 2021 Safari Baryonyx is in comparison to the 2014 Suchomimus) have significantly improved, but now we have other companies (Eofauna, PNSO, GR Toys, Dino Hazard, Wild Past, DinoZoo...) that should also be considered by the magazine (in order for the award to be more objective / representative). It's very clear there's a very strong bias toward Safari in particular in that magazine, but as others have noted, the Baryonyx or the Daspletosaurus were more worthy of that title. In fact, I think the bias towards Safari is so big that one, if not the main, reason why the CollectA Doedicurus won is because Safari didn't release any non-dinosaurs last year. On the other hand, I think the CollectA Doedicurus is a worthy winner, that is, if the only companies to consider are either Safari or CollectA. If more companies could be voted, I think many of the non-dinosaurs released by PNSO last year could perfectly rival the Doedicurus.

And I don't mean to disrespect Safari, but I think that particular figure simply didn't deserve it. As I said, any of the other 2 Safari dinosaurs would have been better options. I think the only possible logic behind it winning is because it's the most popular species out of the 3 that Safari released.

Regarding the voting, how is it like? Does every subscriber interested in voting have to choose one out of a list, or can anyone vote for whatever figure they want from any company? I imagine this could be an important factor.

EDIT: It goes without saying our forum's award is way more representative than PT's at this point.

Crackington

You can vote for who you like. There are no restrictions on companies etc.

I don't understand how non-PT readers can get so irate about the outcome of a fun vote in a magazine they don't read.

It's like if I got angry that "Dog World Monthly" readers chose the Chihuahua as breed of the year instead of the "awesome bro'" Great Dane. Yes I can be annoyed and disagree, but to put the magazine down for its readers' choice beggars belief.

The DTF poll which I would encourage someone to do, would be representative of the views of DTF members. The PT poll is representative of their views.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: