News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Himmapaan on April 02, 2013, 06:02:36 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on April 02, 2013, 08:34:13 AM
I've just updated the list of Shapeways designers. I guess it's growing constantly.

Moderators: Would it be possible to put just the list on top of the beginning of this thread? So it could be updated regularly and easily be found.

Perhaps TQ wouldn't mind if we edit her first post to include your list?
It's fine by me.

chanda

Has anyone ordered any of the heteromorphic ammonites from Eric's Studio at Shapeways? I'd love to order some for use in the classroom this summer, but I'd like to know what people think of them first, having never actually seen a Shapeways model (of any sort) in person before. Do they look as nice in person as the digital pictures on screen? And are the tentacles likely to snap off the first time a kid picks one up, or are they pretty solid?
Sorry for the stupid newbie questions, but everyone has to start somewhere, right?
Thanks!

amargasaurus cazaui

The shapeways models generally resemble the pictures given very closely. One artifact of the printing process is you tend to lose some of the more minor and less noticeable detail in depth and clarity. In the base material, WSF they tend to be the most durable but also lose the most detail. I will say that even in WSF plastic, the models generally retain enough detail and quality they are quite well rendered and I have been happy with them from that standpoint.
The frosted and higher detail materials are generally printed thinner than the WSF allowing for more detail, but at the potential risk of being more fragile in thinner areas.
  Never dealt with the particular model you mention. I have purchased a dinosaur where the tail snapped as it was thin however. If the children are likely to knock it around a bit and the tentacles are long and pronounced, they could break I would guess. If they are fairly thick and deep, it would not be as problematic.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

paleoferroequine

Hi there, so far from Eric's Studio I have Heteroceras,  Megacrioceras, and Bostrychoceras-8.5cm hollow. Next week I will get Provitoceras 5cm. Eventually I plan on getting them all. One minor problem with his stuff is that you don't always have a choice on material. A lot of them don't offer the WSF but only detail or ultra detail. They have good detail and are pretty strong but if they get dropped the tentacles would probably break. A bit pricey also. The Bostrychoceras was $34.00 And of course if you want something in color you have to paint them yourself. There are a few that are offered in colored ceramic but I don't know if they will print, I tried one in black ceramic and it won't print, so maybe none of the ceramics will. Just because they are listed doesn't mean it will print right. But sometimes if you reorder it will print the next time. I tried twice with the black ceramic and no go.

chanda

Thanks for the feedback on the Shapeways Ammonites from Eric's Studio! I've just placed my order for Heteroceras WSFP, Megacrioceras WSFP, Provitoceras 5cm FUD, and Bostrychoceras 5.4cm FUD and I'm really looking forward to getting them. I'll probably go back and order more later. I really like the Cantholytoceras and the Baculites and Cameroceras. Once I figure out how to paint them, I can foresee an expensive and time-consuming new hobby in my future!

postsaurischian

Aaron Doyle's Pachyrhinosaurus compared to Papo's:

Blade-of-the-Moon

hmm..not a really favorable comparison. It's a shame shapeways can't get more detail in there.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 06, 2013, 04:08:20 PM
hmm..not a really favorable comparison. It's a shame shapeways can't get more detail in there.
I think it looks good....but Shapeways look best when they're painted. Look closely and you can see tiny little scale details on the Shapewaysaur, which can be accentuated by drybrushing.

postsaurischian

I didn't mean to compare the two regarding their skin detail. that wouldn't make sense ;D.
I like how they go together, especially in the first picture's pose. A lovely pair in exactly the same scale.

Also: This is the white, strong & flexible material. Of course you can buy the models in better detailed (and more expensive) materials.

I thought it was useless to say that (as always with this material) I couldn't catch all the details in my pics.
Yes, painting can change a lot with these Shapeways models :).   Let's see .......

jtn144

Usually I find the WSF option a horrible material to work with. Having said that, this model does look pretty good in WSF.

Jodee

Has anybody ever tried to smooth the finish of white strong and flexible material themselves?

Jodee

jtn144

Tyrantqueen stated you could get rid of the roughness & tree-ring type marks with sanding & priming, if I'm not mistaken. Personally I don't bother with that & I usually order the model in the better detail options if available. TQ's method does work, but I find you erase whatever detail is there as well.

Jodee

I was wondering if toothpaste and toothbrush would work...

Jodee

amargasaurus cazaui

Just remember as you order the higher detail, the more detail, the thinner the walls of the piece will be, and the more likely it will shatter when printing or snap in extended areas, like claws, feet, or the tail. Gone to higher detail twice, and this was the case for both figures.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Jodee

Thanks for the feedback. I am having a piece commissioned and want to know what seems to work best for hobbyists concerning prepping, painting etc. I plan to market to gamers/collectors.

Jodee

jtn144

Since toothpaste is a mild abrasive it might be worth a shot. Toothpaste is an old-school method for polishing clear canopies for aircraft models. As far as the better detailed models with thinner walls, the answer is simple-fill them with plaster. I have several of MB-CG's models & all of them are filled with it. Either use the hole in the belly or carefully drill a hole & make a batch of plaster and use a pipette with part of the top cut off to make a rudimentary funnel & pour it in. Nothing could be easier & no more shattering.

amargasaurus cazaui

None of that really helps if the model shatters in printing. Twice I have purchased models of higher detail material that were broken IN PRINTING, and both times Shapeways felt it was acceptable to send them regardless. The first time I was given a ten percent discount for my next order, the second time they agreed to reprint the model for me and then reprinted the wrong model and sent it twice no less.
  I am sure the plaster works just fine IF you get the model printed properly, but that is NOT a given when working at higher detail so please be careful.

jtn144

Fortunately, I have never had that happen to me. I have had issues where Shapeways informed me several weeks after I placed my order that they could not print the model in the FUD option. This is usually resolved by getting hold of the designer to make necessary changes to accomodate the higher detail settings. I don't know why Shapeways would send you a broken model, perhaps it broke in transit?

amargasaurus cazaui

I actually made a thread and posted the incident as it happened the first time, but the short version was the older style Psittacosaurus Aaron had offered was ordered in the highest detail possible. When printed the entire foot at the base shattered into pieces. They refused to redo the piece at a lower detail saying it would not print. ( I have always maintained they simply did not wish to take the loss on the more expensive version already printed and have to also refund part of the cost.) They fobbed me off with a ten percent discount on a future order and sent it broken. Copper was given the task of rebuilding the broken foot , and repairing the dinosaur before repainting which he handled masterfully. This is something I am sure he can attest to as the foot was badly damaged and at least one entire toe had to be resculpted as well as missing pieces from the ankle and lower leg. The model required quite a bit of work to restore, given the purchase price was a tad over seventy dollars.
  The next model I ordered in detail was the Yinlong done by Manuel Bejarano....When it was sent the end section of the tail was gone from the model. The piece was not in the shipping carton, leading me to believe it had to happen in printing rather than shipping. Martin repaired and painted this model for me, and can attest there was a segment missing from the tail that had to be resculpted, which Martin handled quite efficiently and well.
  When I reported the matter to Shapeways they apologized profusely, and agreed to reprint the model. They then fired me off two copies of Aaron's latest Psittacosaurus instead? I reasoned it out...one to replace the first model I got broken and one to make up for the damage on yinlong and called it even. So both of my models that I have ordered above WSF were broken and sent damaged as well. So now I just order WSF and refuse to throw the dice.

Jodee

Do you find that WSF takes paint well? How are people priming this stuff?

Jodee

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: