News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 07, 2019, 04:34:48 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on July 05, 2019, 08:47:29 PM
The baryonyx of Shapeways is fabulous, it is a very well made figure. It is also flexible plastic! That is much more interesting to me.

It's called "flexible," but it is definitely not as pliable and robust as PVC or other plastics commonly used for toys. I think you would find them unacceptably fragile, given your tastes.

Thanks for the clarification Halichoeres. That does not mean that this baryonyx is a small work of art and very pretty according to my honest opinion.

Remko

I've been "stocking up" on my Shapeways dinosaurs the past couple of months. Inclusing some of the expensive big ones. Most of my models are either from GNmodels or from our own Gorgonzola. I've recently acquired all of his 1/40th Amargasaurus figures. Nice little herd! Still considering the 1/40th Parasaurolophus series.

Lately my collection has been expanded with GNmodels Theropods: Both Carcharadontosaurus figures, the Acrocanthosaurus, juvenile T. rex (Jane) and juvenile Tarbosaurus and his 1/35th Suchomimus is currently being printed.

And of course the Wild Past figures are great as well. I have all of them.

If only I got around painting them...  :-X :-X

ceratopsian

Thanks for posting this R @Remko. I looked up the Parasaurolophus herd. Very tempting indeed!  Not at the 1:40 scale though. That would take up a lot of space for a herd.

Bokisaurus

Impressive! I love Gorgonzola's work and I have a few of them. The amargasaurus is a fun group! I love the idea of many different poses so you can make an entire diorama with multiple figures in different poses.

Remko

Quote from: Bokisaurus on December 11, 2020, 06:31:19 PM
Impressive! I love Gorgonzola's work and I have a few of them. The amargasaurus is a fun group! I love the idea of many different poses so you can make an entire diorama with multiple figures in different poses.

Thanks! A diorama was my idea as well. Perhaps with a nice Theropod looking for a meal, but finding some unwilling and quite spikey Amargasaur bulls defending it.
I do have a Carnotaurus, but that animal lived about 50 million years after Amargasaurus.

Tyrannotitan could work, eventhough that animal was much larger than Amargasaurus and likely two to three times as heavy.
Not something that would be impressed let alone intimidated by these small sauropods.

SenSx

Hi,

I'm about to order my first Shapeways figure: the 1/12 Herrerasaurus by Daniel Bejarano, since no mass production brand seems to be interested into that one.

I am a bit familiarized with paiting figures since I used to play wargames.
But I'm using very simple technics like dry brushing, inks or brightening small areas.
I am very dependent of the details on the figure to provide good paint quality.
I'm beginner with lavish, and I can't really do shading or paint patterns.
Therefore I'm not confident in my abilities to paint this figure if it does not have enough details, if the surface is too flat.

I tend to paint most of my reptiles and scaly creatures with dry brushing.
Do you think it will look good on that sculptl with the material they use ?
Do you have any other advice to provide me ?
I know I will apply a black primer first, as I always do before painting anything.

Thank you

Halichoeres

avatar_SenSx @SenSx Dry brushing tends to catch any raised features to highlight them, which means if you have print lines on your object, the ridges will be highlighted. Based on my recent experience painting a 3d print, I recommend extensive sanding and a generous coat of brush-on primer (like gesso). That will probably obscure some detail, but it will also help reduce the salience of the print lines.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SenSx

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 27, 2021, 05:18:42 PM
avatar_SenSx @SenSx Dry brushing tends to catch any raised features to highlight them, which means if you have print lines on your object, the ridges will be highlighted. Based on my recent experience painting a 3d print, I recommend extensive sanding and a generous coat of brush-on primer (like gesso). That will probably obscure some detail, but it will also help reduce the salience of the print lines.

Ok thanks !
Still haven't ordered, but will keep your advices in mind !

Bokisaurus

In my experience, it all depends on how much details are retained after printing.
I have some that didn't have much details after printing while others have amazing ones even small figures.
The white material is interesting to paint since it's different than plastic.
It absorbed a lot more water than plastic, so take that in consideration when painting.
Dry brushing should be perfect for printed figures.
Good luck, looking forward to your finish product 😃

SenSx

Quote from: Bokisaurus on February 27, 2021, 06:58:55 PM
In my experience, it all depends on how much details are retained after printing.
I have some that didn't have much details after printing while others have amazing ones even small figures.
The white material is interesting to paint since it's different than plastic.
It absorbed a lot more water than plastic, so take that in consideration when painting.
Dry brushing should be perfect for printed figures.
Good luck, looking forward to your finish product 😃

Dry brushing is effective on those, that is good to hear thanks !
Well I am still waiting a bit before ordering.
If my work is presentable, I will show you, but it will probably be put to shame by all the artists'works I see on this site !

Elengassen

Just a heads-up if anyone was thinking of ordering from Shapeways, they're currently doing a free shipping promo until tomorrow 9PM UTC.
One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.