News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek Sohoza

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 10, 2013, 07:47:35 PM
Quote from: Derek Sohoza on June 10, 2013, 07:43:20 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 10, 2013, 07:39:40 PM
Quote from: Derek Sohoza on June 10, 2013, 07:35:16 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 10, 2013, 01:18:31 PM
Quote from: Derek Sohoza on June 10, 2013, 05:12:37 AM
How much of a difference is there between the white, strong, & flexible models and the frosted detail ones? Do the frosted ones really have that much more detail worth spending extra money on?
I'd say no, since with FD you get the extra risk of breakage because the material is rather brittle. I have never had a WSF break, but the few FD I did order have snapped if handled roughly or dropped. If you want more detail, I'd reccommend FUD (frosted ultra detail). It's also nice and solid, and much more pleasant to paint than WSF (which is horrible to paint, to be honest)

That's a bit weird that the FUD would be more solid and less breakable than the FD. I would've expected the opposite. What makes the WSF so horrible to paint? I paint all my not-already-painted models gray, so I'm not sure if that aspect would be a deciding factor.
Frosted detail is hollow, which is probably why it's cheaper (and more fragile)

Regarding WSF, the material is very coarse and sucks up paint like nobody's business. It takes several layers of "filling" in the coarseness to get a satisfactorily smooth finish. This consumes a lot of paint and eats away at the hairs on paintbrushes (at least in my experience) That's why I prime mine, so I don't have to waste paint.
I'm not saying I hate WSF (it's good for what you pay for) but it can be a pain to paint.

Of course, your mileage may vary :)

Makes sense. I suppose I'll have to buy one in WSF and see how I like it. I have primer, so the coarseness may not be a problem, but I won't know for sure until I get one.
You'll still need to use many layers of primer (I meant that I would rather use up a lot of primer, because I have a big bottle of the stuff, while I don't have as much paint)

You might need to give your new model a quick wash in the sink before doing any priming or painting work, because leftover nylon powder from the laser process can collect in crevices and is very annoying.

I will definitely keep that in mind. How many layers of primer do you use?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Derek Sohoza on June 10, 2013, 07:57:12 PM
How much of a difference is there between the white, strong, & flexible models and the frosted detail ones? Do the frosted ones really have that much more detail worth spending extra money on?
I'd say no, since with FD you get the extra risk of breakage because the material is rather brittle. I have never had a WSF break, but the few FD I did order have snapped if handled roughly or dropped. If you want more detail, I'd reccommend FUD (frosted ultra detail). It's also nice and solid, and much more pleasant to paint than WSF (which is horrible to paint, to be honest)

That's a bit weird that the FUD would be more solid and less breakable than the FD. I would've expected the opposite. What makes the WSF so horrible to paint? I paint all my not-already-painted models gray, so I'm not sure if that aspect would be a deciding factor.

Regarding WSF, the material is very coarse and sucks up paint like nobody's business. It takes several layers of "filling" in the coarseness to get a satisfactorily smooth finish. This consumes a lot of paint and eats away at the hairs on paintbrushes (at least in my experience) That's why I prime mine, so I don't have to waste paint.
I'm not saying I hate WSF (it's good for what you pay for) but it can be a pain to paint.

Makes sense. I suppose I'll have to buy one in WSF and see how I like it. I have primer, so the coarseness may not be a problem, but I won't know for sure until I get one.
You'll still need to use many layers of primer (I meant that I would rather use up a lot of primer, because I have a big bottle of the stuff, while I don't have as much paint)

You might need to give your new model a quick wash in the sink before doing any priming or painting work, because leftover nylon powder from the laser process can collect in crevices and is very annoying.

Hmm...I don't really keep count. I rely more on looking at the surface of the model to see if the coarseness has disappeared or not. I guess maybe 2-3 layers?

Also you can just paint the model with any primer or layering at all, but I think it looks much better when the coarseness is gone. It's a lot easier to get details too. I would suggest that you experiment but since these are expensive models that is not always an option.

If you need more advice on painting Shapeways models, see here http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/painting3dprintedsls Check out the video tutorial with the Dutch guy too 8)

Some interesting things mentioned in the link:

QuotePainting your Selective Laser Sintered model will change its texture. The powdery finish will feel much smoother after two coats have been applied. You might like this but you might miss it also.

QuoteBecause of this the material "sucks in" paint. Thin layers of your model are easily penetrated by paint.

Derek Sohoza

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 10, 2013, 08:11:53 PM
Quote from: Derek Sohoza on June 10, 2013, 07:57:12 PM

Hmm...I don't really keep count. I rely more on looking at the surface of the model to see if the coarseness has disappeared or not. I guess maybe 2-3 layers?

Also you can just paint the model with any primer or layering at all, but I think it looks much better when the coarseness is gone. It's a lot easier to get details too. I would suggest that you experiment but since these are expensive models that is not always an option.

If you need more advice on painting Shapeways models, see here http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/painting3dprintedsls Check out the video tutorial with the Dutch guy too 8)

Some interesting things mentioned in the link:

QuotePainting your Selective Laser Sintered model will change its texture. The powdery finish will feel much smoother after two coats have been applied. You might like this but you might miss it also.

QuoteBecause of this the material "sucks in" paint. Thin layers of your model are easily penetrated by paint.

Ha, those seem like two contradicting statements, at least in theory. I would think a powdery finish would make it frustrating to paint and wouldn't turn out smooth at all. I can just picture the paint job turning out patchy.

Another interesting quote I found just before you get to the video:
QuoteNo primer is necessary.

tyrantqueen

Well, the primer is more a personal preference thing. It's not essential but many people do like to use it. Like I said before, I don't want to waste paint on filling in the coarse surface. I'm sure you'll get a feel for which technique to use when you have the model in your own hands :)

Derek Sohoza

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 10, 2013, 10:06:59 PM
Well, the primer is more a personal preference thing. It's not essential but many people do like to use it. Like I said before, I don't want to waste paint on filling in the coarse surface. I'm sure you'll get a feel for which technique to use when you have the model in your own hands :)

Have you bought any in White Detail? It's slightly cheaper than FUD.

tyrantqueen

I've bought models in WSF, FD and FUD....but I haven't tried white detail yet, because many of the models I ordered had only WSF or FD as an option. It might be something to consider in future. I usually go for WSF because it's cheapest.

You should ask Postsaurischian for his opinion on that material, he's a shapeways veteran ;D

Derek Sohoza

That's the main reason I was considering WSF as well.
Thank you for the recommendation. I sent him a message.

tyrantqueen

It's a surprise that no-one has produced a model of any prehistoric aquatic reptile yet. There is a elasmosaurus type model, but it's for sale for 600 euros, not exactly economical :-\

radman

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 18, 2013, 10:31:33 PM
It's a surprise that no-one has produced a model of any prehistoric aquatic reptile yet. There is a elasmosaurus type model, but it's for sale for 600 euros, not exactly economical :-\

Aquatic reptiles, you mean like this?:

http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,743.msg27213.html#msg27213

tyrantqueen

Quote from: radman on June 18, 2013, 11:55:21 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 18, 2013, 10:31:33 PM

Aquatic reptiles, you mean like this?:
The Ichthyosaurs look good...but I would have liked some mosasaurs, or pliosaurs. Some variety, you know?

Bokisaurus

finally finished painting some figures ;D
Parasaurolophus, Olorotitan, Centrosaurus, and Chasmosaurus
[]

Blade-of-the-Moon

Really digging the hadrosaurs colors Boki ! :)

Battatitan

Amazing colours, Boki, perfect for such great models.  ^-^ The use of bright colours is truly magnificent: striking but believable.

Bokisaurus

Blade-of-the-Moon

NICE paint apps again Boki !

Ikessauro

Terrific paintjobs! I wish I knew how to do such a great work Boki! I'm about to starting on this painting stuff, ordered some acrylic paint this week. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do anything as good as you have though. Do you use any sort of airbrush?

Concavenator

I especially like Chasmosaurus'paint app  :)

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Ikessauro on August 06, 2013, 07:12:21 AM
Terrific paintjobs! I wish I knew how to do such a great work Boki! I'm about to starting on this painting stuff, ordered some acrylic paint this week. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do anything as good as you have though. Do you use any sort of airbrush?

Ah, thank you  :D Still lots to learn, took many years of practice ;D I don't use airbrush at all, just a lot of dry brushing to get that effect. Looking forward to your repaints :)

amargasaurus cazaui

Yay love that Yinlong hiding in the bunch.....very nice !!!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Bokisaurus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 23, 2013, 03:18:06 AM
Yay love that Yinlong hiding in the bunch.....very nice !!!

Thanks, it is a beautiful model  ;D
Last few figures I finished painting... finally! ;D These are the 1:72 scale figures set of duckbills, so they are small and a challenge to paint! :D All by mb-cg
[

And for scale, also find the small troodon among the herd ;)
[]

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: