News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

The electronic fences are locked behind the 6,000 backer stretch goal. Of course it pretty much doesn't matter now. This thing is clearly doomed to fail, but again it needs repeating that the $250 only initially includes the brand new gates, and the improved Explorer (paint, rubber tires, etc), which most of the tooling has already been done for, and was something originally included in a $50 set that routinely shelfwarmed and got clearanced off. Again I really think had this included the gates, the fences, and paddock signs, maybe with or without the goat and buck, this would have been likely gotten more people interested.

Like I'm comparing the initial price of the base offerings, to let's say the Furay Planet William, only about $95 give or take. Tons of accessories with lots of paint detail, and lots of articulation, and like two whole bodies and heads. After seeing reviews on it, I am absolutely shocked it is only costing that much, when like a static Nanmu figure in a much smaller scale costs nearly as much or more, or this set of a electronic gate and vehicle I don't have a strong desire for.

There's also the ucpoming HC Brachiosaurus which is $85 or so, and has lots of articulation, a rubber neck, and much more paint detail then the $50 Legacy one. If I recall correctly it stands a bit larger then what the gates are sized at? Point is I'm seeing at least two things here priced half as much, yet have way more bang for their buck, then what this set would do for me (and many others apparantly, like my friend in Germany who is better off then me).

I admit it, despite my family's income, we struggle a lot, and have to be very light on frgual spending (especially post motel living). I dump money on my credit cards (typically mimimum or a bit more), and save up when I want something. Been doing this since last year. As a result I have to be way more selective about what I want, wait to sales, etc.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

andrewsaurus rex

just the gates and Explorer for $250 is not a good deal at all.....a spiffed up Explorer is not a big incentive, in my view, especially since it will make the Explorer that everyone has now look like crap in comparison..  The fencing did make it  more appealing,  in part due to the increased size and play value. but still debatable that is worth $250 even if included at the base level, which they're not.  There is still shipping and taxes to factor in to that price and for people outside the US, shipping will be high and import fees will add substantially to the cost.

I still say the way to go is offer the whole kit and caboodle for $250 but just require more backers, 10,000 or 12,000 or whatever the number of backers to get all the stretch goals is.  Give it 90 days to be backed and see what happens..

Carnoking

I imagine gates+HC brach would have got this funded a lot faster

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on July 08, 2023, 06:53:27 PMI imagine gates+HC brach would have got this funded a lot faster

I doubt it, I saw a lot of complaints about the HC Brachi and it's price tag as well. Seems to be a lot of saving/burnout? all over the board.

Shane

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 09, 2023, 06:44:16 AMI doubt it, I saw a lot of complaints about the HC Brachi and it's price tag as well. Seems to be a lot of saving/burnout? all over the board.

HC Brach is also an $85 retail item, which is a lot. I don't think it's overpriced, but it's a big ticket, all new item. I don't think they could pull off the $250 price for the gate fund if that HC Brach was part of it.

Shane

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on July 07, 2023, 08:52:56 PMBig companies can crowdfund all they want, just don't invade Kickstarter, set up your own thing

They aren't invading Kickstarter, they are all set up as their own thing through the respective company's websites.

Hasbro has "HasLab" which is run through their Hasbro Pulse portal, Mattel has Mattel Creations, which is their collector-focused site with limited items and crowdfunds (I incorrectly said they were running several crowdfunds, but it looks like all their current offerings other than the gate are more straightforward preorders. But they have done other crowdfunds previously through Mattel Creations).

On another note, the gate itself has almost completely stalled. Single and low double digit backers a day.

They're either gonna do another shake-up to hopefully push more backers, or this thing will fizzle.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shane on July 10, 2023, 03:02:53 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 09, 2023, 06:44:16 AMI doubt it, I saw a lot of complaints about the HC Brachi and it's price tag as well. Seems to be a lot of saving/burnout? all over the board.

HC Brach is also an $85 retail item, which is a lot. I don't think it's overpriced, but it's a big ticket, all new item. I don't think they could pull off the $250 price for the gate fund if that HC Brach was part of it.

Exactly. Maybe they should have done an Ultimasaurus? I'm seeing collectors willing to pay 300 for a toy of it?  Even some kids know what it is now.

Gwangi

You've got this crowdfund going on, the release of the HC Brachiosaurus, and the anticipation that Mattel will have something for Comic Con. On top of that, wave after wave of mainline, Legacy, and HC releases. Most people can't keep up with it. I personally wouldn't mind of Mattel dialed it back a bit.

Shane

Quote from: Gwangi on July 10, 2023, 04:41:49 PMYou've got this crowdfund going on, the release of the HC Brachiosaurus, and the anticipation that Mattel will have something for Comic Con. On top of that, wave after wave of mainline, Legacy, and HC releases. Most people can't keep up with it. I personally wouldn't mind of Mattel dialed it back a bit.

I think a lot of toy companies are failing to adjust for the ending of the "COVID Boom". There was a pretty big boost to the industry during the height of the pandemic. A lot of people who found themselves working remotely suddenly had more disposable income due to not needing to constantly buy gas for a commute (among other factors). But that overall boost has largely leveled out, so these back to back to back high price items might be a bit much to ask at this point. It looks like the gate is the first casualty here.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Shane on July 10, 2023, 03:06:51 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on July 07, 2023, 08:52:56 PMBig companies can crowdfund all they want, just don't invade Kickstarter, set up your own thing

They aren't invading Kickstarter, they are all set up as their own thing through the respective company's websites.
I wasn't referring specifically to Mattel but it's a think i've seen happen before
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Faelrin

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi Yeah that's definitely me. Holding out for a SDCC exclusive, and trying to save up for the HC Brachiosaurus (on top of other brands like Cyberzoic, etc). It is certainly a bit much at the moment, overwhelming at times. Honestly I might even pass on the SDCC if there is one, unless it is something I absolutely want or can afford, because of trying to save up for those other things. The timing was definitely not good for something like this, even with the payment plan options (for those of us in the US).

Gwangi

Quote from: Shane on July 10, 2023, 05:19:25 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 10, 2023, 04:41:49 PMYou've got this crowdfund going on, the release of the HC Brachiosaurus, and the anticipation that Mattel will have something for Comic Con. On top of that, wave after wave of mainline, Legacy, and HC releases. Most people can't keep up with it. I personally wouldn't mind of Mattel dialed it back a bit.

I think a lot of toy companies are failing to adjust for the ending of the "COVID Boom". There was a pretty big boost to the industry during the height of the pandemic. A lot of people who found themselves working remotely suddenly had more disposable income due to not needing to constantly buy gas for a commute (among other factors). But that overall boost has largely leveled out, so these back to back to back high price items might be a bit much to ask at this point. It looks like the gate is the first casualty here.

Yup, and there were also those stimulus checks and student loans being paused. Now, in the U.S. at least, college grads (including my wife) have their student loan payments coming back into play.

I think it's also significant that the JP30 anniversary has passed. Mattel should have launched this earlier in the spring. Everyone was feeling it in May and at the start of June but after the 11th it started to peter out. I know it has for me, and I'm forever a Jurassic Park fan. I did not invest in the crowdfund, won't be getting the Brachiosaurus, and never participate in CC exclusives. I've got a small handful of mainline and HC toys I'm looking forward to and that's it. The '93 Classic Rex was my big Mattel purchase for the year and even that one was on sale when I got it, lol.

EDIT: My big Mattel purchase might end up being the Mamenchi but we'll see.

Faelrin

So BestinSlot made a video on this (not watched it yet, but will soon):

Edit: Even he doesn't think the initial offering is worth it for the base price, and it's even worse since he's in the UK, where he has an inflated price too.

Shane

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on July 10, 2023, 06:27:47 PMI wasn't referring specifically to Mattel but it's a think i've seen happen before

With which companies, exactly? I think Kickstarter rules specifically prohibit established large scale companies from funding through them.

Shane

Quote from: Gwangi on July 10, 2023, 06:43:38 PMYup, and there were also those stimulus checks and student loans being paused. Now, in the U.S. at least, college grads (including my wife) have their student loan payments coming back into play.

Thank you! I knew there were other factors but for some reason could only think of one, but yes stimulus payments and student loan pause definitely also had a huge impact on people having more to spend. People had more to spend and it really boosted a lot of consumer goods industries, including toys.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on July 10, 2023, 07:12:14 PMSo BestinSlot made a video on this (not watched it yet, but will soon):

Edit: Even he doesn't think the initial offering is worth it for the base price, and it's even worse since he's in the UK, where he has an inflated price too.

I'm picking and choosing a lot of Mattel mainline releases now if it doesn't appeal immediately I don't get it.

Regarding value, again.  I saw where someone asked Syrett Tech about doing a Gate for sale, since he and Marco make so many custom pieces. He had a pretty good layout of what it would take and it's not even counting lights, sound, and being built/painted and it would still be 250-300 without an Explorer.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Shane on July 10, 2023, 07:38:20 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on July 10, 2023, 06:27:47 PMI wasn't referring specifically to Mattel but it's a think i've seen happen before

With which companies, exactly? I think Kickstarter rules specifically prohibit established large scale companies from funding through them.

Legendary and WB afaik
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Shane

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on July 11, 2023, 07:56:46 AMLegendary and WB afaik

So the Legendary one looks like the funding for the Dune comic, which yeah, you'd think the company that made that film would be able to budget for a comic adaptation without relying on crowdfunding. Maybe they got away with it by showing the the "Legendary Comics" imprint was somehow separately operated from the larger parts of the company.

The WB one was a little trickier. For the Veronica Mars movie, Rob Thomas said that IF he could raise a certain amount of funds via Kickstarter, they would fund "the rest of the movie". So it was less WB directly involved and more them holding it over Rob Thomas's head.

But I agree, Kickstarter crowdfunding is intended for smaller businesses and individuals and larger companies shouldn't get involved on that level. But with the toy crowdfunds being discussed in this thread, none of them have gone through Kickstarter; they've all been run through their own official channels.

Shane

https://creations.mattel.com/products/jurassic-park-30th-anniversary-steven-spielberg-figure-hpd32

Now THIS is more like it.

Unfortunately I will NOT be at SDCC this year (for once), but hopefully there'll be a decent chance to get it in the non-attendee presale.

Carnoking

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: