News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

That Jurassic Wiki blog post was something else.

JimoAi

to be fair CJ is pretty much... to be nice... an unempathetic bootlicker and he basically breeds a toxic community

Flaffy

Quote from: Shane on July 20, 2023, 02:13:45 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on July 20, 2023, 02:06:11 PMAll these reviews and in-hand pics of the HC Brachiosaurus are making it awfully tempting... UK prices for the big beaut are set tp be ~100 GBP, almost $130...

S @Shane especially when big influencers in the community like Collect Jurassic are guilt tripping people into backing this project. It has to be emphasised that expensive crowdfunding projects like these are usually announced months in advance to generate hype, and to allow ample time for people to save up for the campaign.

The more I see of HC Brachiosaurus the more I regret not preordering it. I hope it shows up in Target stores in decent numbers, it actually looks great. I have NO room for it but that won't stop me.

Likewise... I absolutely DO NOT have the space for it in my current situation, but I will definitely be kicking myself if I missed the opportunity to acquire this piece of Jurassic history at retail. God knows how much these Hammond Collection figures will go for on the aftermarket years in the future.

QuoteAnd yes, I think you touched on it. The "influencer" community of the Jurassic franchise fans really seemed to get miffed that folks weren't backing the campaign. The overall vibe from the content creators of the Jurassic fandom seemed really angry at people who didn't want to back it, with a few exceptions.

Much like I'd never want to shame someone for backing it, I think it's wrong to shame people for NOT backing it.

Thankfully some much more prominent influencers/youtubers like James from theGamingBeaver and BestInSlot are being voices of reason for why this project simply isn't worth it to a lot of folk. No matter how loud the other crowd shouts and screams, the number of backers speak for themselves. The fact of the matter is that campaign supporters are clearly in the minority, and for certain avid supporters of the campaign to blatantly dismiss what the majority of the community is saying strikes me as absurd.

Prehistory Resurrection

Nothing related to any latest news concerning Mattel but came across this review of the Legacy Collection Ambush Pack Bull T-Rex. You can see comparison being made with other Bull T-Rex figures in the video.

Shane

Camzilla94

Quote from: JimoAi on July 20, 2023, 02:44:22 PMto be fair CJ is pretty much... to be nice... an unempathetic bootlicker and he basically breeds a toxic community
Yeah seems like a real piece of work that guy

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shane on July 20, 2023, 06:32:49 PMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon the Target preorder for Mamenchi is working now.

https://www.target.com/c/jurassic-world/-/N-4ybhy

Thanks, I saw it just around time. I went ahead and ordered one, I can wait for a sale for a second.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Spielberg set is now live. Just procured two for myself-- one to open and one to stay in the box.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Shane

Managed to get one. Contemplated two, but $60+shipping is a little high, especially with all the online SDCC shopping I've been doing.

Carnoking

I had to spring for 2. I'm a MIB collector for the most part with the Mattel line but I just had to have a little Steven Spielberg open and on my desk at all times. The fact that it comes with the now sought after HC Dilo helped assuage my compunctions.

CityRaptor

I would order one but Mattel Creations requires credit cards.

Quote from: JimoAi on July 20, 2023, 02:44:22 PMto be fair CJ is pretty much... to be nice... an unempathetic bootlicker and he basically breeds a toxic community

Up to this day he still rants about a certain stripe on a certain jeep.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

suspsy

We're getting a Gryposuchus! First ever Eocene genus! I wonder if this means mammals eventually as well?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

The HC Dimetrodon doesn't look great... Probably gonna stick with the mainline version instead.

suspsy

I like those colours, but the sail is too small.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Carnoking

Looks a little soft compared to the mainline.

Shane

The neck looks quite long, the posture is very upright, and the overbite looks a bit goofy. Not my favorite.

Flaffy

Quote from: Carnoking on July 21, 2023, 07:46:14 PMLooks a little soft compared to the mainline.

IMO the Grant & Dimetrodon set still holds the title for the best Mattel Dimetrodon.

Stegotyranno420

Marco Cavassa's dimetrodon seems so much better. I dont really focus on JP figures but I dont understand how he is able to make a far superior rendition than a massive corporation. It's not like adding more sculpt detail and proportion will ruin the budget.

Faelrin

Glad Eoraptor, Stegouros, and Gryposuchus are officially confirmed now. There's also Megalosaurus coming, which is nice to see it join the roster finally, and also a new really interesting Triceratops. Seems they are keeping the same kind of environment theming as this year.

Eoraptor and Stegourous are swamp, Gryposuchus is river, Triceratops was tundra, and Megalosaurus was savannah.

Here's pics of them:

avatar_suspsy @suspsy Shocking they would do a species from the Cenozoic, humans, and human made hybrids aside. Smilodon would be overdue then since it was in CC S4.

I don't think the Dimetrodon are as bad as people are reacting, although the head is a little off looking in these images (seems to have an overbite?), compared with the mainline one. Maybe it will be better in hand though. The main thing that bugs me is that it does not appear to have wrist articulation, yet has ankle articulation. I am shocked to see them do this one so soon too. Hope we get Pyroraptor soon then, and hopefully with a more film accurate design (worst case I got the Takara Tomy one ordered through brett), like with proper wings, and lips. The current figures are based on an older design, seen in concept art out there.

Edit: I already got the new for 2024 thread created with these official reveals.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

Not a fan of those other reveals myself. Sculpts and paint seem a bit gaudy by Mattel standards, although their promo shots are notoriously bad so I could see my mind changing down the line.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: