News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

POLL: What are your favorite toy companies?

Started by Seijun, March 18, 2012, 11:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your favorite dinosaur toy companies?

Wild Safari
Carnegie
Collecta
Papo
Schleich
Bullyland
Kinto Favorite
Mojo
Battat
Invicta
Toyway (WWD & NHM)
Kaiyodo
Colorata
Sega
Kenner/Hasbro (JP)
Tyco (Dino Riders)
Playskool
Starlux
Marx
Other (specify in comments)

Viking Spawn

PaleoMatt

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 19, 2012, 03:46:27 PM

I don't really have a problem with how accurate or inaccurate the toys are. I love retro reconstructions ;D  There is something about the Baryonyx sculpt I just don't like. Like the stubby feet, and the fish foot.

Speaking of which, I've just noticed the fish looks a bit...rude

CAN'T UNSEE   :o

But, hey, I can agree to disagree  :) I don't mean to offend any Invicta lovers, I just have my own preferences.

OMG No why did you have to point that out my eyes aargh oh well at least I don't own the figure :P

Arul

Quote from: TE Matt on October 20, 2015, 08:57:03 PM

I don't really have a problem with how accurate or inaccurate the toys are. I love retro reconstructions ;D  There is something about the Baryonyx sculpt I just don't like. Like the stubby feet, and the fish foot.

But, hey, I can agree to disagree  :) I don't mean to offend any Invicta lovers, I just have my own preferences.

OMG No why did you have to point that out my eyes aargh oh well at least I don't own the figure :P

That baryo stepping a missile ?  :o

PaleoMatt

Quote from: Arul on October 21, 2015, 01:15:16 PM

Thats why Baryonyx became extinct :/

DinoG

I wonder how the poll would have gone if Rebor was part of it
Run!

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: TE Matt on October 22, 2015, 07:31:08 AM
Quote from: Arul on October 21, 2015, 01:15:16 PM

Thats why Baryonyx became extinct :/

Well, fish are phallic to begin with.

Arul

Will we have "best 2015 figure" poll ?  :) Can we only nominate the figure from the top 5 or maybe top 10 of this poll ? Because if we nominate all of 2015 new figure it will be too many

J.R.S T REX

A very interesting poll!  Being a newbee, I have been watching quite a few reviews on youtube and have come up with my choices.  First, my purchases have been Papo, Rebor, and SideShow.  Obviously, only one makes the toy list.  So here are my choices.

1. Papo Absolutely love the detail and the coloration on most of their dino figurines.  My favorites in their line are the T Rex standing, T Rex running, Brachiosaurus, Stegasaurus, Triceratops and their Anklyosaurus. 
2. CollectA I have seen quite a few that I like on youtube.  Nice sculpts as well as colorations.
3. Safari Ltd Once again, I have only seen a few reviews but really like the retired Diplodocus!

Dilopho

Quote from: J.R.S T REX on January 24, 2016, 04:12:04 AM
A very interesting poll!  Being a newbee, I have been watching quite a few reviews on youtube and have come up with my choices.  First, my purchases have been Papo, Rebor, and SideShow.  Obviously, only one makes the toy list.  So here are my choices.

1. Papo Absolutely love the detail and the coloration on most of their dino figurines.  My favorites in their line are the T Rex standing, T Rex running, Brachiosaurus, Stegasaurus, Triceratops and their Anklyosaurus. 
2. CollectA I have seen quite a few that I like on youtube.  Nice sculpts as well as colorations.
3. Safari Ltd Once again, I have only seen a few reviews but really like the retired Diplodocus!
In my opinion, collecta usually produce the most realistic and affordable dinosaurs. Safari has great detail (you can talk the the sculptor on this very forum!), but some of their dinosaurs look a bit...how do I say it..."generic"? As in, neutral poses and "safe" colour schemes. Amazing quality, though.

JurassicGeek09

I would have selected Wild Safari but they kind of went downhill IMO after they broke ties with the Carnegie Museum. They love their theropods yet can't make a truly great one to save their life.
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

Jose S.M.

My favorites so far are Wild Safari, they have very beautiful figures,and my favorites, the ceratopsians, are all just great in my opinion, Collecta has been improving, they have come so far from things like Eustreptospondylus and baby unfeathered T-rex. I don't own any Battats because it's hard to get them from my country, just from Ebay and the shipment prices are like 5 times the figure price, but in pictures they llok great too. Papo has nice detail but most of their figures that are jp inspired don't click with me. And carnegie it's also hard for me to find them at afordable prices, but they are classic and made with very much care regarding accuracy.

BlueKrono

This was tough, but overall I believe CollectA to be the best toy company out there. I realize I cast this vote with the late 2016 advantage that earlier commenters on this post didn't have, but CollectA puts out simply the best variety of species including some pretty obscure ones, and that's a cool thing to see from a major toy company. Heck, they're the only company that does a figure of my favorite dinosaur Ichthyovenator. Not only that, but the figure was rolling off the lines a mere two years after it was scientifically described. Now that's an impressive turn-around time!

However, I couldn't not throw a vote toward Louis Marx & Company. There's something magical about Marx toys, as any fellow Marxist knows. Marx ruled the toy world in the 50's and 60's and parts of other decades, and although their sculpts weren't very anatomically accurate by 21st century standards Marx revolutionized the toy industry by introducing the means to mass-produce plastics, making them affordable to every family and bringing dinosaurs (and a myriad of other toy figures) into American homes. Sorry, I could go on about Marx all day!

On this one I had to vote a third time, for a company I was shocked I had to write in. How could Play Visions be forgotten? While they're not as famous for their dinosaur figures they are a true prize for any serious collector of prehistoric animals. Their lines of prehistoric mammals, amphibians and aquatic reptiles are a pure joy, and include some species that are unique or rarely produced. Shame they're so hard to come by. If anyone's got some they'd be willing to part with, let me know!

Honorable mention goes to Kaiyodo/Dinotales (it's sometimes hard for me to differentiate the two, as most eBay sellers list both company's names in their auctions). The Japanese capsule companies do a surprisingly good job of anatomical accuracy. There's not much you can take away from the figures, other than perhaps their small size (which in my opinion makes their detail and paint jobs all the more impressive). Kinda surprised not to see Geoworld as an option in the poll, though perhaps they're a more recent company? They tend to get roundly denigrated on this site anyway, so I understand why people aren't lamenting their absence, haha.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

@BlueKrono: You're right it's odd that Marx and Play Visions weren't included! Geoworld does get a lot of hate, partly because they seem to be guilty of plagiarism, so they probably wouldn't have gotten many votes.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

Well, Marx is on there (hiding second from the bottom). I see what you're saying about Geoworld though. A lot of their sculpts and paint jobs are clearly taken from other, higher quality companies.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sigmasaurus

My two favorite HAVE to be Safari and Papo.

Dilopho

Quote from: Dilopho on January 24, 2016, 02:35:45 PM
In my opinion, collecta usually produce the most realistic and affordable dinosaurs. Safari has great detail (you can talk the the sculptor on this very forum!), but some of their dinosaurs look a bit...how do I say it..."generic"? As in, neutral poses and "safe" colour schemes. Amazing quality, though.

I said this on January 24, but now after seeing the 2017 assortment I'm starting to change my mind.

Quote from: JurassicGeek09 on January 26, 2016, 11:00:44 PM
I would have selected Wild Safari but they kind of went downhill IMO after they broke ties with the Carnegie Museum. They love their theropods yet can't make a truly great one to save their life.

This is why. They've gotten over their broken ties and are focusing on themselves.

Loon

Gotta go with Safari; in terms of accuracy, size, and detail, they can't be beat. I like the nostalgia of some of the Papo models, but the inaccuracies on their non-JP based stuff really don't sit well with me. Since, I also picked other, I decided to include Creative Beast Studio. While' David Silva has done models before, his Beasts of the Mesozoic line has really captured me. For as much as I love a good model, articulation is definitely appreciated. While there are some inaccuracies to make the raptors share similar parts. I'd much rather have something that's not quite 100% rather than something that looks like it walked out of Jurassic World.   

Cloud the Dinosaur King

For other I meant Sideshow and Rebor, sort of.

CrypticPrism

Best

1.Safari: (counting Carnegie and WS as one) Safari is the best company for me with great sculpts and amazing accuracy. The figures are overall appealing to me, and they always try to keep up to date to fossil discoveries.
2.Collecta: it started off as a demon, then morphed into an angel. Collecta is one of the best for me because of its mostly high-accuracy sculpts, good paint jobs, and there's something about the eyes in their figures.

3.Papo: it started off as a JP ripoff company, but is starting to sprout into something new: a high-detail and accuracy company. They also produced my favorite figure of all time(papo allosaurus)
Honorable mentions:Favorite, Battat

Worst

1.Schleich: their overall demonic Prehistoric line is absolutely horrendous, with figures branded as accurate and educational, when really they have horrible sculpting and accuracy. For me, Schleich's dinosaur line is a fantasy creature line.

2.Invicta: I can't find invicta appealing whatsoever. It's praised and sucked up to when really it has made horribly inaccurate and badly sculpted in bright, glaring plastic. They don't even bother to paint them.

3.Mojo Fun: Mojo fun may make good mammals, but they make some of the ugliest figures of all time. They're usually complete rip offs of other figures, and they're complete with sloppy paint jobs and ugly sculpts.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: